Brake caliper won't come off?

jstoops

LVC Member
Reaction score
Got all the normal caliper mounting bolts off, and the caliper seems frozen to the rotor. What am I missing? There is another bolt with a line connected to it maybe holding the caliper together, does this need to come off? It is 11mm. I can attached pics eventually if needed.

No, don't do that.
Front or rear?
Parking break released? (If rear)

My bad, rear, and yes I released it after prying at it for a bit. What could it be?

Can you turn the rotor (transmission in neutral)?

Two 15mm bolts secure the whole assembly (caliper and bracket) to the knuckle. Two smaller bolts hold the caliper onto the bracket that holds the pads. Either way, you should be able to pull it off.

I do hope you have the correct tool needed to rotate the pistons back in once you do get it off.

The best repair to a Lincoln LS is the "crusher". Former 14 yr. owner who invested $9,000 to replace parts.

if enough rust builds up on the edge of the rotor, it can be hard to pull the caliper past this ring of rust. I've used a large screw driver or small pry bar to pry the caliper away from the rotor.

this assuming that the caliper is in normal working condition and not froze up (aka the wheel can spin.)

Thands for the help everyone, turns out it was pretty much rusted together :mad:
After a good bit of prying and cussing it came off, now onto my other LS' problems...

The best repair to a Lincoln LS is the "crusher". Former 14 yr. owner who invested $9,000 to replace parts.

If I were gloing to be polite, I'd just say, "In Bambi, the Wise Old Owl says that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I won't try to be nice---I'll just say, "Go whine somewhere else".

KS

If I were going to be polite, I'd just say, "In Bambi, the Wise Old Owl says that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I won't try to be nice---I'll just say, "Go whine somewhere else".

You sound like a high school kid who has to borrow his Dad's screwdriver and bought something worn out and expects it to go on without maintenance.

I bought my own '02 new and haven't paid half that much to keep mine going. But I have tools, I look for the best price when I need a part, and I do most of the work myself.

KS

I've owned two if them and have maybe had to spend 10% of that to keep them on the road...

I've put at least triple what I've paid into mine to keep it on the road....

Out comes the heavy hitter, aka hammer.

Members online

Back