Fuel door wont open

1998Conti

New LVC Member
Reaction score
98 Continental, fuel door release does not work. Makes a clicking sound but door wont release. I can pry it open no problems. I tried some wd 40/lithium grease and no success. Any ideas?

You can use the release in the trunk to open the fuel door for now. As for the problem it may be a fuse that went bad, as you state you can still hear it click so its not a faulty spring or tension chord. Look in your owners manual to see about the fuses look for the one that pops the fuel door, pull fuse out, look for a broken fuse wire inside the color of fuse. Simply replace it if that is the case. I'll do a little investigating myself

You can use the release in the trunk to open the fuel door for now. As for the problem it may be a fuse that went bad, as you state you can still hear it click so its not a faulty spring or tension chord. Look in your owners manual to see about the fuses look for the one that pops the fuel door, pull fuse out, look for a broken fuse wire inside the color of fuse. Simply replace it if that is the case. I'll do a little investigating myself

i need a new spring by the catch on the fuel door my self . i'm almost afraid to look for it and find out the price (lol) i guess i need to go to ford / lincoln ...?

1998Conti and dfoy50 I found this:

Actually the more I think about it, it probably is the spring on the gas door itself. You might need a new one. I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Y8MdhixjU

here is one from parts geek: Both fuel button and electrical connector: http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?ssq=fuel+filler+door+switch&make=lincoln&year=1999&model=Continental

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Trunk-Fuel-Door-Switch-OEM/dp/B004K8UY72

well i know my button is working and i can hear it clicking with the button being pushed . and the bimetal spring was kinda rusted and now its gone (the part on the gas door itself ) lol . i do have a question about you air dam that you ordered . im trying to figure out if mine is missing . my question is , if you open the hood and remove the black cover right behind the grill and look down between the a/c condenser and the radiator can you see all the way down to the ground ?

Figured out today the release in the trunk will also not open the door. Guessing this narrows it down for the mechanism or spring in the door itself huh?

Figured out today the release in the trunk will also not open the door. Guessing this narrows it down for the mechanism or spring in the door itself huh?

i think the spring is mounted to the fuel door it's self , thats the part i need

You would need a new metal spring itself. Try Bakers Auto.com they have alot of new old stock items. I had gotten the air dam from Tasca Parts.com If you look under the front of the car, it is a black plastic piece that snaps up into the subframe, radiator area. This piece looks as if its hanging down. If you type in lower radiator air deflector you'll see it on Tascas website.

Talk to you later!!

Yes they are hard to find parts. I would try Tasca parts.com to see if they can help you. You can also try Bakers Auto.com they specialize in new old stock and other inventory. Also Lincoln Land inc. , Vintage parts.com and green sales company.com

Yes they are hard to find parts. I would try Tasca parts.com to see if they can help you. You can also try Bakers Auto.com they specialize in new old stock and other inventory. Also Lincoln Land inc. , Vintage parts.com and green sales company.com

thank you very much

Members online

No members online now.
Back