Rear shock hardware

joegr

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a replacement source for W704884 Shock absorber lower bolt ?

Full part number -W704884-S426
M14x98mm

It seems that this is no longer available, and the existing bolt is not supposed to be reused.

Perhaps. Ford also has some other M14x98 bolts, but I haven't found any used in this application. I assume that they are supposed to stretch a particular amount, so I want to be sure to get a bolt with the same properties. (M14x98 by itself does not completely describe the bolt.)

I'm showing 4 available from other Ford Dealers under the last supersession: W704884S439.

Owen Jarret Ford: 434-535-8515, 1 on the shelf.

Waterville Ford: 207-873-7193, 2 on the shelf

Judge Auto: 319-393-4461, 1 on the shelf.

With all due respect, more-or-less a bolt is a bolt. Same size and hardness and I have no doubt another-sourced bolt should fill in without a problem. ARP should be able to give you one that's vastly superior. 800 826 3045

KS

With all due respect, more-or-less a bolt is a bolt. Same size and hardness and I have no doubt another-sourced bolt should fill in without a problem. ARP should be able to give you one that's vastly superior. 800 826 3045 KS

There certainly could be a difference between a suspension bolt and one that is not used for suspension but the link I provided was indeed for a suspension bolt. If it's good enough for a Land Rover I'm certain it's good enough for a LS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...ash=item35f777a0cf:g:MaoAAOSwqfNXiHnM&vxp=mtr

Saw that one. Looks like there's a funny head on it.
If I can't get one or two of the three Ford dealers to ship me some, I may just have to reuse the existing ones.

I've always reused the shock bolts. I'm just careful to use blue Lok-Tite...

is it a TTY bolt? is that why they dont want you to use it again?

I though those were better for clamping and not as good for shearing.

is it a TTY bolt? is that why they dont want you to use it again?

I though those were better for clamping and not as good for shearing.

I really don't know. The manual just says not to reuse it. I think that maybe Loctite and not torquing it quite as much will be the answer to reusing them.

Just leave it loose so it won't crack the degas bottle! All kidding aside, my 294,400 mile LS has had these bolts off numerous times (subframe changes, spring changes, shock changes, at least 3 each of those actions!) and they still torque down nicely and stay tight.

Good to know. Waterville Ford has made an initial response, so may I can get a couple of new ones anyway.

I'm showing 4 available from other Ford Dealers under the last supersession: W704884S439.

Owen Jarret Ford: 434-535-8515, 1 on the shelf.

Waterville Ford: 207-873-7193, 2 on the shelf

Judge Auto: 319-393-4461, 1 on the shelf.

Two ordered. Thanks again.

Not exactly a generic hardware store bolt...

LS_Shock_bolt.jpg

Is that a 'trapped' washer? Where does the step on the bolt ride? Is there an obvious need for the lead on the end? Is it just the light or do the threads seem to be the sort that interfere as a locking device?

KS

Yes, the threads do seem to be that way. That would explain the one-time use. I'm not sure what the o-ring is for yet, or what the step is about.

The sort of thread shape I'm referring to is not quite the regular peak-'n'-valley sort that we are all used to. I believe there are several ways they mis-shape the threads so as to be forced into a regular nut or tapped hole. The mis-shapenness makes for a mild interference fit that doesn't require a Ny-lock but, in function, does about the same thing. The sort of Ford rocker arm that was used in the FE engine line had that sort of thread on it. After several adjustments the screw would become loose enough to require a new screw with a more mis-shapen thread. After that, you were on your own. (You CAN use a lock nut but then you have to spot-face where the nut goes.

KS

Does anyone have a replacement source for W704884 Shock absorber lower bolt ?

Full part number -W704884-S426
M14x98mm

It seems that this is no longer available, and the existing bolt is not supposed to be reused.

Joe, I have the following in stock, if it helps you any.
I originally picked these up for my 01 V8 when I redid the entire suspension BUT never ended up using the lower bolts.

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-bolt_-w705552-s439.html

The numbers are W705552-S439 which were supposed to be for the lower shock bolt, M14 X 98MM

1.jpg

2.jpg

I do see in comparison to your pic, it does in fact NOT have such a rubber ring near the top of the head.

Not sure ... up to you ... LMK if interested.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'm still waiting on the other nuts, bolts, and lower control arm to come in.
One of the other bolts is no longer available too, but apparently I got the last they had in stock.
Making it to 300K is seeming less and less likely.

oh com'on where is your can do spirit?
Where there is a will there is a way.
Maybe time to grab a good parts car. (two or three)

Members online

Back