Sway bar details

sowberry

LVC Member
Reaction score
'02 V6 Sport 90k miles

I hit a speed bump too fast several months ago, and I noticed a clunking sound over bumps at low speeds ever since. I gather (from this forum) that it's probably the sway bar bushings, so I decided to tackle it. I ordered the bushings from rockauto, I think probably the Jag part, as I have the sport (30mm) bar, although it came up using my car's make/model. They're rubber w/ some kind of fabric liner (presumably to slide w/out grease, as required by the poly bushings).

I knew from the other write-ups (thanks to everyone else who posted, especially the threads advising to attack driver side front bolt from the top, and the one showing the diagram illustrating the two bolts for the DCCV bracket), that it was gonna be a bear, but what the hell. However, now that I'm into it, I don't know how anyone could get it done in a couple hours (as I've seen quoted by a couple posters). I'm probably 5-6 hrs into it, and I only got the driver side done. It's much worse than taking off the manifold to do the valve cover gaskets or coils. If I knew a shop would do it for like $150 (as I've seen others quote), that's what I'd recommend.

Granted, I've had some front end damage that cramped the working space (it's a lot tighter now changing the oil filter), but boy I wish the engineers woulda kept those hoses a couple inches towards the outside on the driver side! Anyways, I removed the air filter to get the top driver's side bolt (it's pretty obvious, but here's a pic showing how to remove the filter for completeness).
20160822_181858.jpg
20160822_171853.jpg

I used two extensions (one wobble) and a universal joint to get the top bolt. The bottom required a 1/2 inch (or 13mm) box wrench (I didn't have a ratcheting wrench, so I just broke it loose w/ the wrench and then was able to get a 1/4" drive socket wrench on the bolt w/ a short wobble extension).

However, after I got the old bushing off, it was impossible to get the new one on. Couldn't slide it on from either side or rotate it into position (because of the corners on the flat bottom). I saw that lsbit did the job using ramps, but maybe he had the standard (skinny) bar. So while I first tried using ramps, I had to put both wheels off the ground so I could detach the bar (you need to hold the bolt w/ a socket or wrench and crank the 15mm nut off). As shown in the pic, I propped the bar up w/ the old bushing to make enough space to get the new one on.
20160822_164238.jpg

This is where I'm at so far, but I'm posting now because I have a question about the nut that holds the bar to the knuckle or whatever it's called. When I replaced it, it looks like there is some kind of nut lining that came out.
20160822_170938.jpg
I'm guessing that the bar is supposed to swivel around the bolt freely, so I shouldn't crank it down tight. But I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work. Do I need a new nut? Or should I put some loctite on it?

20160822_181858.jpg

20160822_171853.jpg

20160822_164238.jpg

20160822_170938.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the pictures. "Invalid attachment specified". Could just be me, the site, or the phase of the moon though.

The aftermarket jag bushings I got were split in the middle so they didn't have to slide from the end

I reattached the pics above. The OEM bushings were split on the bottom so you could install/remove from the top. The new ones are split on the side.

... I don't know how anyone could get it done in a couple hours (as I've seen quoted by a couple posters). I'm probably 5-6 hrs into it ...

Don't you worry about comparing to how long others took to complete any job.

You go at your own pace, learn as you go, clean some nearby parts, have a Beer & Manwich, maybe even a nap. Sometimes one has to go buy a new tool.

In the end, however long it may take you, it's all about the 'Standing back', 'I did NOT give my money to the dealership' rewards.

Take your time, have fun with it and take pride in the fact your doing it yourself and saving money.

+1

Don't you worry about comparing to how long others took to complete any job.

You go at your own pace, learn as you go, clean some nearby parts, have a Beer & Manwich, maybe even a nap. Sometimes one has to go buy a new tool.

In the end, however long it may take you, it's all about the 'Standing back', 'I did NOT give my money to the dealership' rewards.

Take your time, have fun with it and take pride in the fact your doing it yourself and saving money.

+1

BigRigLS - You nailed it on your response! Agree 100%

Rome wasn't built in a day and with the LS you learn not to put the tools away just yet.

... besides ... the Lincoln LS makes a great garage queen! :wrench

I think I misunderstood your post. So the bushings went on smoothly (well, smooth as this scarring job can be), but what you actually had trouble with was the sway bar end links not being able to clear the bar?

If so, I believe I removed them entirely from the lower control arm, then bolted them into the bar, then bolted them back into the control arm. I know you got it in, but for future readers, keep in mind the end link on the other side directly affects the position of the sway bar. That's something I didn't understand when I first tried to replace end links on my dad's car with straight-through end links. I couldn't move the bar enough to get one new link in. Little did I know, all I had to do was unbolt the other side.

It looks like the blue stuff you see could be old torn nylon pressed out by the extra rust. The end links use Nylock nuts to prevent them from backing off. They're supposed to be replaced every time. The manual says to torque them to 41lb-ft.

Yeah, I found the link description, and I think the blue is the nylon lock stuff. Just looking around online, I found a set of ball joint/link nuts at pep boys, but it was like $10 just for the 4 nuts, of which I need only one (maybe two if I need to move the sway bar to put the passenger side bushing on). A new link is $20-30, so if it comes loose, I'll just replace the whole thing.

Anyways, there wasn't any problem with the links; the only reason I had to detach the bar from the link was to get the bushing on, as there wasn't enough room between the bar and the bracket attachment point to get the new one on.

So I spent a couple hours on the passenger side today (the infamous DCCV bracket). The front facing bolt (already out in the pic below), is relatively easy to get (you can see it from under the car). The tough one is the one around the corner, which I put a socket on to illustrate its position.
20160823_174837.jpg
I tried sticking my hand in there to turn that socket, but it kept falling off and was a big pain to replace. Going from the top requires a u-joint, as the bolt is sitting at like a 45 deg angle, but that also kept falling off. So I discovered a technique which was tedious, but relatively easy to perform: put a socket on some extensions and a u-joint and insert from the top, sit directly facing the passenger headlight, reach under the bumper with your right hand to set the socket, and crank w/ the left. I'm average size (5'10") and could easily hold the socket on the bolt and crank at the same time.
20160823_185704.jpg
However, because of the extreme angle, the u-joint would turn only a 1/2 turn and then bind. So I would crank 1/2 turn, pop socket off and twist 1/2 turn and pop it back on, crank 1/2 turn, repeat. Tedious, as I said, but relatively easy.

20160823_174837.jpg

20160823_185704.jpg

That one nut does not need to come all the way off to get the DCCV on its bracket off.

The bracket on that side is like a hanger. Loosen the nut one or two turns and lift the bracket off from it. Picture the top of a coat hanger around a nut and bolt. Looks like a hook.

Once out, the DCCV is then disassembled from the bracket itself.

Far as I can remember.

GLWR

That's correct about not needing to remove the nut entirely to extract the dccv, but I was just moving the dccv bracket to access the sway bar bushing. Did the passenger side last night. Others have mentioned tying the dccv to something to get it out of the way, but I was able to just shove it a little to the wheel side in order to get a deep socket (again, 1/2" or 13mm) on the top bolt. The other bolt is easily accessible w/ an ordinary socket. So removal was a breeze (after freeing that miserable dccv bracket).

I think my sway bar (or something else) might be a little bent from the front end damage I mentioned earlier, cuz I had plenty of room on this side to get the new bushing on. However, it was impossible to line the bolts back up to install the new bushing without loosening the end link to give the bar some play. After getting the bolts lined up and hand threaded, I installed the bottom bolt first most of the way, but then it was impossible to crank the top one. It felt like it was cross threaded or something, even though I hand threaded it multiple times. I don't know if it was the dccv pressing on it or just the angle the bushing bracket sat w/ the one end already down, but I couldn't get the top bolt in until I backed the bottom one out and leveled the bushing bracket. Long way of saying: do the top bolt first.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice! Hopefully will take it for a spin tomorrow, enjoy the silence over my street's potholes/speed bumps, and go play some golf :D.

What part number did you order form Rockauto, and can you confirm if you have the sport bar or not? Or at least confirm the diameter of the bar?

I have the sport bar (30mm). The Rockauto part was Uro XR819697. Only been a couple weeks, but the bushings are still quiet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back