Game Over

Gus_Mahn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had my '03 LS8 for about 10 years, and it has 219,000 miles. It needs an AC compressor, sets lean codes when it gets cold out, and the trans shifts 3rd and 4th hard because of PCM damage caused by misfires. But overall it's been a good car. Today on the trans lost third gear, and with that, it's time to let the car go. It still looks good inside and out, but with the miles and issues it's not worth much. I'm going to try to sell it on craigslist for $650, and if it doesn't sell, I'll ebay the factory HID's and scrap the rest for $260. Sorry to see it go, but it's time.

I kinda am getting to that point as well. Mine is a 2006 and has over 176,000 miles. I just replaced the Degas bottle (3rd one, 2nd I have replaced). The last one lasted 60,000 miles. It took nearly 11 days to get one from Tasca as they had to get it from Ford directly and that still cost me over $200. I know other cooling system parts are about to start failing. I have the chance to get a low mileage truck that is 6 years newer than my LS. My LS also has factory HID, THX, etc. It is a great car still, but I am fearful of the next year what may start to happen. I bought the car after it came off of a Ford Red Carpet lease in 2010, so it has always had dealership parts and labor.

Time is indeed limited on these Lincoln LS'es, such a shame.
think about it, if you own an 01, it's already a 15 year old car about to go 16. Sad really!

i was just thinking about this very thing when i was doing the coolant system update.
car is 16 years old. only has 118k miles on it, but those 16 years do take a toll. thought
about putting it up for sale and see if i get any bites, and replace it with an 06. i'm
always on the look out for another low mileage 05 / 06.

I find it interesting that so many LS I see now in cali are thrashed and tired looking. Yet the 99 - 02 mercury cougar which there seems to be alot (relative to the sales of each) here still look and run fairly good.

If you were next door, I'd buy it for that price just to get parts to try and keep both of mine going a little longer.

The yard will only give scrap metal price of $240, but thats the way it's going if I don't get a buyer in the next week. If I do scrap it, I'd be will to pull small parts off to help the LVC community out. PM me if you want or need something. The door screw covers are spoken for. It still has one good seat back.

Sorry to see the LS for sale, but if you've had it that long, you're probably ready for something else anyways. I picked mine up from someone going through a similar situation, it had been in the family for I believe he said just a year or two after it was new, and he was just ready to get rid of it and get a new car. I picked it up for $400 not-running, and am on the path to getting it on the road again. Maybe someone will do the same with yours. I would hate to see such a clean LS go to the scrap yard.

Perfect donor car if someone had an engine/trans laying around looking to swap them out.

... I would hate to see such a clean LS go to the scrap yard ...

Yup! sad event, still looks like a nice LS.

Does NOT need a new motor or trans, just some light repairs.

Yup! sad event, still looks like a nice LS.

Does NOT need a new motor or trans, just some light repairs.
Sad indeed. It does need a trans though. I believe it's priced fairly and haven't had a call yet. Looking on eBay there's tons of $60-$100 parts on this car. I may just butcher it myself.

Thats absolutely a fair price, especially since it will still move its own ass. I paid $400 for a non-running, clogged cat, no coils/coil covers LS that was pretty filthy. It would not move its own ass.

Hey,,i sold my LS when it started havin tranny probs.
got a Lincoln Town car,,best move i ever made !

Hey,,i sold my LS when it started havin tranny probs.
got a Lincoln Town car,,best move i ever made !
I like sport sedans, and can never see my self or wife in a land yacht, but the Town Car is probably a better more reliable car. Ford's Panther Chassied cars seemed to run good for ever. Just an occasional puff of smoke at start-up and if they idle for a long time (valve seals). And, the darn air springs cause issues on lots of cars.

Gus, did you ever bother to send the PCM out for repair? People say they need new transmissions but ... Servo bore fix would be the worst of it.

Gus, did you ever bother to send the PCM out for repair? People say they need new transmissions but ... Servo bore fix would be the worst of it.

I never did. It was shifting hard into gear from park, and shifts into 3rd and 4th were hard. I believe a hard downshift into 3rd from 5th is what broke the trans. The car won't move in drive, and reverse doesn't work at all. It will move forward without third gear if I use the manual gate side of the shifter.

The trans was rebuilt about 4 years ago, and the builder did mention the servo bores were very worn. The trans was actually working ok, but misfires had damaged the shifting part of the PCM again affecting shifts into 3rd and 4th. The trans shop was happy to charge me for an overhaul even though the trans wasn't the issue. This was the third shop I'd taken the car to. The first guy knew it wasn't the trans and had me take it to the dealer. The dealer said the PCM was ok. The third trans shop said it was the trans then had me buy a PCM for a $2200 total repair.

Members online

Back