5R55 Repairs

Thread Revival...

Does anyone know how to remove the Transmission??

Does anyone have a write-up?

Clear Pictures???

Precise Instructions?????

Please!!! I need some help this weekend. I know it's short notice but I've searched EVERYWHERE that I can find on the net and came up with nothing. Just repairs and issue threads

http://deneau.info/ls/

Transmission ^Removal.

very helpful,i follow the steps shown to drop the tranny for my 2001 (5r55n)
We did it on jack stands,2 people's job.

Best regards!

I have an 06 with 70k miles. I notice no clear problems besides the occasional abrupt downshift and a couple of times reverse didn't engage right away.

I am thinking about investing a little money in the transmission before I have any serious issues and was wondering what would be recommended.

From what I have read in this thread, I should definitely change out:

Fluid/Filter
Servos
spring
solenoid

I know that the servos eventually all go bad because of the design, so that should definitely be done. But is the solenoid an item that will definitely fail down the line as well, or was that something only caused by the bad fluid some of these cars had?

You seem to have a handle on it. I am not a mechanic, and the guys here will help you out with concerns but what you describe has been remedied by:

My 2001 - shift kit and filter/fluid (I did solenoid too just because it was int there) at 100k

Yabadaba 2003 - PCM repair at 122k

and so on

I brought it up this way because apparently 2006 most all the stuff had been ironed out as far as bad fluid etc. The servos I have heard happen with 5th gear issues - joe or someone can confirm that. With your low miles, you may want to think about the PCM repair if your car has been kept outside in the heat much. If you have a hard time finding a trustworthy shop, I have one here in Burbank.

the P rimary C ontrol M odule is the computer unit that controls/regulates all the functions of the car. It is in the firewall on the passenger side of the car. Like any computer, heat wreaks havoc on it, and solder joints end up shorting out on it. There are a couple threads here talking about it. Fortunately, there is a company that does a repair for a reasonable price. Those threads also list that company.

It's really Powertrain Control Module. It controls only the engine, AC compressor, and transmission. Other modules handle the lighting, fuel pump, climate control, brakes, parking brake, ...
I don't know if there have been any solder joint problems in the PCM. Reportedly, there have been some FET failures.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x3e006.htm~gen~ref.htm

Yea listen to joe. He knows way more than me, I learn most of my stuff from him and the other mechs on here. I got that solder joint issue from a video of some guy doing the repair awhile back. They even showed it before hand and after. But they did mention replacing the 'fets' too. Should have linked that here back then.

Starting to think about a remanufactured trans install since at the price point seems the most logical thing to do considering many include a 3 yr warranty - Anyone have experience with Transmission Authority pro/con or other suggested sources? What else should be replaced at the same time - Appears it comes with the torque converter, but what about oil cooler lines or the whole unit? Motor/Trans Mounts? - which gaskets etc? Thanks and any input would be appreciated!

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek, removing a transmission is somewhat like eating an elephant. You simply start at one corner and go clear through to the other corner.

When everything is out of the way, you unbolt the trans and drop it down. You'll need to support it somehow since, from experience, it's very difficult to do a reverse push-up with your chest underneath.

Good luck!!!

KS

Xford, talk to Walt jr at Walt's Transmissions in Burbank. Guy is hands down the best when it comes to tranny. I forget what he said the warranty would be for him on a rebuild. My repairs are 2 years. Reason I say check him out is he is local (somewhat) and by the time you deal with shipping and whatever else costs you will be higher. Other factor is if you are a vet like me he gives 10% off for vets.

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek, removing a transmission is somewhat like eating an elephant. You simply start at one corner and go clear through to the other corner.

When everything is out of the way, you unbolt the trans and drop it down. You'll need to support it somehow since, from experience, it's very difficult to do a reverse push-up with your chest underneath.

Good luck!!!

KS

Thanks but no intention of doing it myself - I do the small stuff but dont have the tools, space, etc. to take on a tranny!

Xford, talk to Walt jr at Walt's Transmissions in Burbank. Guy is hands down the best when it comes to tranny. I forget what he said the warranty would be for him on a rebuild. My repairs are 2 years. Reason I say check him out is he is local (somewhat) and by the time you deal with shipping and whatever else costs you will be higher. Other factor is if you are a vet like me he gives 10% off for vets.

It is a bit out of my area but I will give him a call - thanks for the tip

Here's the crazy part. I found a lift place to do it on...and it took us over 3 days to do it...

I have to replace the transmission again because that one was bad...and i took me ALONE 1hr20mins to do it myself... talk about fast learner...

jackstands would definitely suck because it sucks a whole heap of coal dust when you take it out a car just high enough at the junkyard, so i can imagine how it goes with just jackstands...

Members online

No members online now.
Back