97 Mark VIII Stalling and I have no idea why?!?!?

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have 97 Mark VIII with 144k on it. The car keeps stalling and shutting off while I am driving. Sometimes it stalls when am coming to a stop. Here is a video of what its doing.

[video=youtube;Cmtjz1Qft44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmtjz1Qft44[/video]

I have replaced the fuel filter, checked fuel pressures (which were good even when it stalled), changed my MAF, IAC, and changed my PCM. NOTHING has helped, the car is not giving any codes at all. I am at ends with this right now.

It will stall and I will try to crank it and it wont start. I will wait 10 mins or so and car starts right back up.

[video=youtube;mxTCZY6d7tQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxTCZY6d7tQ[/video]

WTH can this be. Oh yeah, Battery (no corrosion) and alternator are fine also.

I would unplug the crank sensor and look at the connector and wiring to it. Put some dielectric grease in the connector. You may have a crank sensor going bad. As it heats up it decides to quit, and cools off and starts again. When it stalls have someone help you and check for spark.

Not many things just cut the engine off like that and won't restart. I would also agree with a failing crank sensor being one of the relatively few things that will instantly kill the combustion cycle if its input is removed.

Thanks guys. Just replaced the crank sensor. Was getting a P0320 code now, so fingers crossed!

Ok, so after replacing the Crank sensor, it hasn't just "shut down" so far. But it's still stalling when coming to a stop or making a left turn. Now it was doing this when the car was "shutting down" also but I didn't put that in my first post.

Now Both of these problems started at the same time. It looks like a case of a bad IAC. I used to have another 97 Mark VIII (now a parts car) which I had replaced the IAC with an advance auto parts one. That Mark used to work fine with it and that's the IAC I have put on this problematic Mark VIII. I will get a motorcraft IAC but can you guys think of anything else. No cracked hoses or vacuum leaks I can hear.

Did you also replace the connector for the crank shaft position sensor?
Also I've never had to purchase a iac I've always just cleaned them.

Just wanted to update. The Crank sensor fixed the issues that you see in the video. After replacing that, it was still stalling while coming to stops and turning. Replaced the TPS from my donor car and it has been running fine for the past 2 weeks now. Thanks guys!

Members online

No members online now.
Back