Anyone else experience exhaust-like fumes in the cabin of a Gen2 V8 on a cold start?

03LinLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else experienced fumes inside the cabin on a cold start only to have it go away in a few minutes? Would love to hear your findings! Also, Intake Manifold
Tuning Valves were just on the V6 cars, correct? I did read that some changed those out and it helped fumes from entering the cabin.

Thanks,

Bill

I got this 06 v8 in December it would get fumes inside the cab so I was sure it was the valve cover gasket but when I pull the plugs all 8 where dry I changed them out and haven't got the fumes anymore not sure if this story helps but it's what happen lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. So you changed out the gaskets, right? Not the plugs. My plugs were dry too. Did the fumes stay around awhile or did they go away after the car warmed up?

I get it on a cold start if the windows are down and the wind is at my back. I'm not sure if it makes a difference if you start right away or turn the acc on to let the blowers spool up before starting.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I think that some of the confusion here (and in some similar threads) is that people are saying exhaust smell, so we assume they mean an exhaust smell. This could only be caused by an exhaust leak or a strong tail wind. However, it is becoming clear that they really mean any sort of hydrocarbon smell, like burning oil. To me, burning oil and exhaust fumes are two very different things, but apparently this is not true for everyone.

I think that some of the confusion here (and in some similar threads) is that people are saying exhaust smell, so we assume they mean an exhaust smell. This could only be caused by an exhaust leak or a strong tail wind. However, it is becoming clear that they really mean any sort of hydrocarbon smell, like burning oil. To me, burning oil and exhaust fumes are two very different things, but apparently this is not true for everyone.

I would agree. The smell that I get, I believe smells like my nose is up against the outside exhaust pipe. My mechanic thinks he smells a bit of oil. A Ford dealership put the new valve cover gaskets on and they said that they had a very hard time doing so...this was when I had a fouled coil pack. At the time, it had the original valve cover gaskets on there. Plus, a Lincoln dealership took off the valve covers to tighten the spark plugs not too long ago. So for giggles, I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets since the Lincoln garage didn't. I am having my mechanic put on Fel-pro gaskets. The same Ford dealership believes that I have a warped manifold, but I don't hear the typical ticking noise associated with that type of problem. An exhaust shop put some high pressure back through the system and couldn't find leaks anywhere in the exhaust system. So I am going to change the valve cover gaskets and if that fixes it, great. IF not, I'll leave well enough alone. I'm tired of chasing it and the smell only last for the first minute or less. Very strange.

...A Ford dealership put the new valve cover gaskets on and they said that they had a very hard time doing so...

I would stay away from them, then. It is easier to do on some other cars, but it's certainly not "very hard."

...Plus, a Lincoln dealership took off the valve covers to tighten the spark plugs not too long ago. ....

I think that you mean "coil covers." You don't remove valve covers to change or tighten spark plugs. It is very strange that they would need tightening. They were put in wrong if so. I would have just replaced them. (nearly the same cost).

I would stay away from them, then. It is easier to do on some other cars, but it's certainly not "very hard."

I think that you mean "coil covers." You don't remove valve covers to change or tighten spark plugs. It is very strange that they would need tightening. They were put in wrong if so. I would have just replaced them. (nearly the same cost).

Yes, sorry. I meant coil covers, but when checking other things, they did have the valve covers off. The plugs were replaced at 100,000 miles and they were looking at it at 110,000 miles. Their service bulletin told them that a loose spark plug could cause some issues (smell). At least that is what they told me.

Members online

Back