Refinished my lights - PICS!!!

I used that 3m kit and after polishing it with the included rubbing compound, I polished the lenses with "PlastX" from Meguiar's. Its supposed to polish clear plastic and remove yellowing. It made a noticeable difference. The attached picture shows my fog lamps before and after the polish. Left one is just the 3m cleaning kit. Right one is after polishing by hand with PlastX. After that, I sealed them with a "Headlight Lens Sealer" by Blue Magic. Its supposed to seal and protect the lens from UV rays.

IMG_3014.jpg

Does anyone know if the 50/50 mix of minwax and mineral spirits has been holding up to the UV's of the sun over time?

A member named M4rk whom we bought his 03 LS V8 from indicated to me that it does not and by looking at the headlights, I'd have to say he's correct and they need redoing.

I'd say the timeframe since he did them and we bought it was maybe 1 year maybe 1 1/2

They did look real good when he posted pics of them freshly done.

A member named M4rk whom we bought his 03 LS V8 from indicated to me that it does not and by looking at the headlights, I'd have to say he's correct and they need redoing.

I'd say the timeframe since he did them and we bought it was maybe 1 year maybe 1 1/2

They did look real good when he posted pics of them freshly done.

So they are possibly lasting about a year or so? If that's the case it is much better than simply buffing and waxing them and how short of a time that lasts for.

I never did the minwax and mineral spirits procedure myself so I speak of zero experience but as mentioned above I knew the timeline from when he did it till when we bought it.

Myself, I've always simply done the down to 2000 wet sand and finish with compound and orbital, some plastic lens polish to keep them fresh looking.
Typically it's the little rocks and such that f^ck them up quicker then the yellowing, I find.

Not a huge deal to redo a bit of lens crafting every season to keep them fresh looking.

I do my trucks head lights same routine when needed, get a lot of light scratches on them from running the squeegees across them during the winters. Compounds right out with an orbital.

Some people like to spray a coat of clear on them afterwards, I'm not into that, just use a plastic lens polish, good enough.

Does anyone know if the 50/50 mix of minwax and mineral spirits has been holding up to the UV's of the sun over time?

After completing several sets of these over the years...

after about a year the minwax will start lifting/flaking/wearing...

Gotta admit though, they turn out real nice using that minwax routine from what I've seen on here. +1

Like wet pink ... so glittery shinny. Can't stop staring, reminds me of perverts row. Just can't take my eyes off them.

#I'MAFOOL w/o Coco mats.

Sup G?
How the Karting and Stang life treating ya?

Members online

No members online now.
Back