rear airbag solenoid installation problems

achesonm8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I am installing new rear air bags which came with 4 new o-rings. one small goes on top, two medium around top and a much larger one that fits on the base of the solenoid. I have not been able to compress them far enough to turn them in place to lock. I tried a small clamp to compress but that is problematic because the clamp keeps slipping off...is there a special tool? I measured the old and new depths of the cylinder that the solenoid goes into and there appears no difference. Should they be that difficult to compress far enough in to allow the rotation to lock them in?? Any previous experience with removal/installation of the rear bag olenoids would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)

The fat O-ring is used to stabilise the solenoid. If your solenoid is set strong enouth in the hole - don't use the fat O-ring. And yes, it's usially happens in the rear bags.

I used some kind of lube, don't remember right at the moment but I also didn't use the fat one.

DIelectric grease can degrade rubber

Most people don't know this but dielectric grease is silicone. Which is safe for rubber, plus most of our o rings are neoprene anyway...

On a side note almost every oil change I wipe the bags down with a damp rag and spray them with CRC food grade silicone until their soaking wet....

I do know that it's silicone based but
Was told that it has other ingredients that are not good for long term rubber protection.
Guess I'll have to go buy some and see for myself.

Members online

No members online now.
Back