Putting a Trac Lok in my 8.8

93mark8rules

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive been trying to find a cheap way to put in a Trac Lok for a while, but pretty much there isnt. Then I stumbled across a few posts that said an 8.8 Differential from a solid axle car will work, but you have to remove the clips at the end of the axle shafts. I have a rebuilt 8.8 Trac Lok from a Fox body Mustang sitting in my garage from a project I gave up on. Has anyone here tried running the solid axle Trac Lok?

Really? Thats awesome I was worried about suspension travel and some how knocking an axle shaft out of the diff. What gears did you go with. I was thinking 3.73's that way it wont be too bad on the highway.

Just don't forget to take thoes clips off the axel or its a BIG pain to get the axle back out
I have 3.55s it's not enough
Do 3.73 or 4.10 if you cruise a little slower on the highway.

I drive it on the highway at around 75 80 everyday for about 30min. But if Im going somewhere far and have an open road I have had it over 100 for a while... I"m just looking for a little more jump off the line, plus when its in overdrive at 40 and I'm trying to go up hill with the A/C on it would be nice not to have to step into it a little to go up hill.

I can't tell were you are from but I have a Mark VIII pumkin with 3:73 gears and trac loc in North Caroline I would let go for $250.00 Sorry no I do not ship.

Listen to the above. Even with 4.10 gears you will still have plenty of RPM's. Our 4 speed automatics give us plenty at top end.
My car ran 140 MPH on the chassis dyno in 3rd gear. You should be worried about tires at that point.

Also get yourself a new aluminum one piece drive shaft with the HD joints, and fully balanced.
You will then have to replace the speedometer gear to make your computer to properly control the shift points and display your speed.

I have a 93 sitting in my yard if I decide to part it I may use the shaft from that. Im just really not looking forward to pulling it.... Or do you think I should just buy a new shaft?

The higher the rear end number always results without overdrive ,in high rpm at lower miles per hour speed. One car I owned had a 3.7 . At 3500 rpm it was only doing 70 mph. I need an over drive to compensate for the 3./7 when I was driving I state if you do not have overdrive the car will run high rpm at just 70 mph. The rest of the idea I do not have a clue but I too like to improvise and would try it too

Members online

No members online now.
Back