2002 Lincoln LSV8 "Blend Door" or DCCV?

NetNathan

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does my car have a blend door or not??
Repair shop says blend door is bad...they want $1,000 JUST to pull dash.
but I keep reading that my car has a "DCCV" valve that does the work.
What do I have?

Is there a test procedure I can run to tell me what is bad?

I know I cannot have just 1 blend door because I have right and left TEMP controls.....It seems the passenger side controls temp ok, but drivers side starts out find and then gets super hot.

there are two heat exchangers (one for heat, one for AC) that all of the air blows through...

your description is text book DCCV failure, when it fails, it (usually) fails open not being able to stop hot coolant from flowing through the heater cor, so even if the AC is working and cooling the air down, the heat exchanger for heating is still flowing hot coolant and heating that air back up. this is why the air is cool at first until the motor gets up to temp and then the air turns hotter than the furry of a thousand suns...

also the dude that wants to pull the dash is likely either a dumb ass or has no experience with this car (maybe even both) and you probably shouldn't go back there.

isn't there a diagnostics I can run that may give me a hint?
Somewhere I remember reading there was a diag test you could run on an LS that actually gives you codes to refer to....

isn't there a diagnostics I can run that may give me a hint?
Somewhere I remember reading there was a diag test you could run on an LS that actually gives you codes to refer to....

The LS has no air temperature blend door period!
The DATC self-test will detect electrical failures of the DCCV only. It can also fail mechanically. It's relatively cheap, easy to replace, and a known failure point. Also, it matches your symptom perfectly. Just replace it.

After I install the new DCCV....is there a procedure for purging the water system to get out all the air.
I have "read" that if there is any air in the cooling system, the DCCV may not work correctly.

Don't have the exact link handy but in the tech articles there is a complete run down for bleeding the cooling system to properly remove all the air from the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DCCV

I read the title and the DCCV was my first response, while you are there look at the plastic plumbing if it is blistered and crumbling change all of at the same time.

Rock auto and parts giant have real good deals on the plastic parts.

when hot started blowing out thru AC, its the heater exchange valve. My LS did it and i changed it. 2years later didit again so i just bypassed it. if your in warm weather always its better to bypasss

From all the research I have done and this thread definitely points me to the DCCV.

Is this related??
DATC test gives me a 1242. (Air Inlet Door Actuator Circuit failure)

Is this the DCCV? At RockAuto.com it is called a "heater valve"??
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lincoln,2002,ls,3.9l+v8,1387188,heat+&+air+conditioning,heater+valve,6860?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2F

Would I assume the Motorcraft is better than the Four Seasons?

The Motorcraft one is made by Bosch and I would trust it over the "Four Seasons" brand. The cost difference is not significant (IMHO).

Stay away from aftermarket for this part. Motorcraft or Bosch only.
B1242 is not related and was likely triggered by a temporary problem that cleared itself. (It is seen quite a bit without any problems.)

... look at the plastic plumbing if it is blistered and crumbling ...

Wouldn't notice much looking from the outside until either taken apart or falls apart.

Exterior observation of plastic cooling system parts would yield "browning" in color as apposed to the original new black color.
When the exterior "browning" starts to settle in, "blistered and crumbling" from within, shortly follows.

when hot started blowing out thru AC, its the heater exchange valve. My LS did it and i changed it. 2years later didit again so i just bypassed it. if your in warm weather always its better to bypasss

Fixing a problem is ALWAYS preferable to putting on a band-aid....

Does anyone know a reliable source for getting a 2002 Lincoln LS Service Manual?

Pick up the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] GEN Lincoln LS service repair manual on DVD from a reputable seller on eBay.

It's a single DVD, which needs to stay in the tray when using the software. It installs on root. (Path can not be altered, software will fail)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro....TRS0&_nkw=Lincoln+LS+service+manual&_sacat=0

Review the feedback of the seller to see how pleased others where with their purchase. Pick one that appeals to you. They are mostly often simple re-burned copies.

EDIT - - - -

When you install the software and begin using it,
it will appear identical to this ---> http://deneau.info/ls/ (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] GEN LS online repair manual courtesy of Owlman)

Double EDIT - - - -

00-02 = 1[SUP]st[/SUP] GEN Lincoln LS
03-06 = 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] GEN Lincoln LS

A note to this DCCV issue...
I notice that idling the AC stays cold on both sides. If I bring RPM up to around 2000....then the drivers side starts to get warmer than the passenger side.
When I go back to idle...the drivers side starts to cool down.
Still only DCCV issue??

Yes (still DCCV), and your aux pump is probably failed (otherwise it would be hot at idle too).

Members online

Back