rear tie rod ends?

Ron Sircar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all

could anyone advise me on what the best or more reliable rear outer tie rod ends are, with the part number and where I could buy them from, while doing my brakes noticed the boots are gone and I suspect they will fail it on the safety inspection if I do not replace them

Thank you

Ron Sircar

I've never seen the outers sold separately, just the whole thing. Motocraft is the best, and AFAIK, the only ones that retain the passive rear steer, but quite expensive. Other than that, there's no guarantee on quality for rods listed for the LS.

What should yield better results is searching for S-type parts. (Did the S-type have the same passive rear steering?) The Deeza links I bought a while ago cross referenced to the S-type (they've been discontinued) so presumably, they're all the same. Rimmerbros.co.uk have a few options available, inlcuding two "OEM" links, two "Genuine Jaguar", and two Aftermarket (I don't know what the difference is). BigRig bought the silver aftermarket links from them. In the very least, it gives you part numbers

FCP Euro also has links labeled as Lemforder (Lemfoerder?), which should be the UK Jag equivalent of Motorcraft for $101 right now. IF the S-type has passive rear steer and you want to retain that, Lemforder may be the way to go. However, as stated above, I don't know if it does. I really don't notice any lack in performance with my non-steering (non-collapsing) Deeza links

To give you some more help, some alternate names are rear lateral link, rear toe link, rear tie rods, rear stabilizing/stabilising bar/link, and other combinations of those terms.

Rear Toe Adjust Linkages

as well the Rear Sway Bar End Links should be replaced.

as mentioned above, you will not find just the outer part of the adjustible links, you will need to buy the whole thing, chances are that the inner joint is also in need of replacement.

as mentioned above, you will not find just the outer part of the adjustible links, you will need to buy the whole thing, chances are that the inner joint is also in need of replacement.

Can anyone tell me is there much of a difference with or without the passive rear steering? I haven't really driven the car yet but the boots on these rear toe link/tie rod ends are destroyed so I'm assuming they need to be replaced. do they come as a set with the rear sway bar links and can anyone post a link to a few options

I think these and fixing the side mirrors ( drivers side moves left to right but not up and down and vice versa for passenger side mirror) are the only items I have left to safety the car

Alternatively you can purchase the OEM ford with Passive steering

Sale Price: $130.91
List Price: $188.08
You Save: $57.17 (30% off)

You'll need Qty 2

http://www.tascaparts.com/lincoln/l...ion-scat/?part_name=lateral-arm&position=left

Note that Jaguar (same suspension set up) figured it was not near enough race car and never opted for Passive Steering in the rear,

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XR825750 <-- Rear Stabilising Link - XR825750 - Genuine Jaguar

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XR825750P1 <-- Rear Stabilising Link - XR825750 - OEM

Deeza JA-L607 Non-Passive Steering Rear Toe Adjust Linkages are no longer available.

Black set is OEM w/ Passive-Steer dampener,
other metal set is the non-passive steering JAG aftermarket sourced from the UK for my 04 LSE.

attachment.jpg

i used the same non passive units noted above, and couldn't be happier to delete the rear steering :)

E-rider,

did yours also have some slight ribs on the insides of the outer pivot that required some light filing to remove, so as the large spindle through bolt would fit with ease?

I couldn't understand why that was needed but wasn't about to force the bolt through using a hammer. Ended up just using a small round file.

BigRig, I just ordered a set from RimmerBro's, so I will let you know about the ribs as well. I have made a note to check this.

Yeah, no big deal, a few minutes with the round file in each takes care of the issue, I just found it odd.
Should have taken a pic of it but didn't even think about it, I usually take pics of pretty near everything.

Wow - RimmerBros shipped my links on 7/4 (our independence day from them mind you) and thy arrived on Wednesday. 3 days from the UK. Impressive!

Going to try and bolt them up this weekend to see if the passive to nonpassive conversion is something I will notice.

I think the only way to notice the difference is to rip it through turns with new OEM links immediately followed by new aftermarket links. Many report it feels much better without the steering, but that can be attributed to worn and failed steering links

Wow - RimmerBros shipped my links on 7/4 (our independence day from them mind you) and thy arrived on Wednesday. 3 days from the UK. Impressive!

Going to try and bolt them up this weekend to see if the passive to nonpassive conversion is something I will notice.

You appear to be one of the few that now that!!!!

Many report it feels much better without the steering, but that can be attributed to worn and failed steering links

this would almost always be the case as most people replacing them are only replacing them because they are worn out and show symptoms of needing to be replaced.

My guess is the overall change will be subjective at best, but for what it's worth - my current oem links are in good shape. But they are also not brand new as FDR has suggested would be best.

Lowering and fresh sway bar end links would also contribute, if done at same time like I did.
End of the day, cheaper and firmer.

I am making an order of custom tie rod tubes that I used to assemble a custom pair of toe rods. I've been running my first set on my car for over a year and they have worked out very well. Recently, another forum member contacted me about them because he wants to build up a set. I will have 3 extra pairs of the tie rod tubes, if anyone else is interested in building up a pair for their car. They are stiffer, and you don't have to worry as much about rotting plastic covers. I am not in the business of selling parts, and can provide or post the details. All the parts other than the tie rod tube are off-the shelf. There are some minor parts mods to make them fit, so you need some handyman skills.

toe rod 1.jpg

toe rod 2.jpg

toe rod 3.jpg

I am making an order of custom tie rod tubes that I used to assemble a custom pair of toe rods. I've been running my first set on my car for over a year and they have worked out very well. Recently, another forum member contacted me about them because he wants to build up a set. I will have 3 extra pairs of the tie rod tubes, if anyone else is interested in building up a pair for their car. They are stiffer, and you don't have to worry as much about rotting plastic covers. I am not in the business of selling parts, and can provide or post the details. All the parts other than the tie rod tube are off-the shelf. There are some minor parts mods to make them fit, so you need some handyman skills.
Could you tell me what I would need to do to assemble these? and do they completely replace these toe links on the rear of the car?

tijoe, are you not worried about rust, corrosion, or abrasion on the outer end?

tijoe, are you not worried about rust, corrosion, or abrasion on the outer end?

Rod end has a chromoly body, self lubricating nylon/ptfe self sealing race, and hard chrome plated ball. No sign yet of corrosion.
If you are paranoid or drive you car in snow with rock salt or mag chloride on the road, rubber boots exist for covering the rod end. One can get stainless steel rod ends that wont corrode, but they are not as strong.
If something happens to the rod end, just purchase another one. Very easy to swap versus the stock toe rods.

Last edited:
Could you tell me what I would need to do to assemble these? and do they completely replace these toe links on the rear of the car?

I am putting another set together. PM me in a week and I will have the parts list put together.

E-rider,

did yours also have some slight ribs on the insides of the outer pivot that required some light filing to remove, so as the large spindle through bolt would fit with ease?

I couldn't understand why that was needed but wasn't about to force the bolt through using a hammer. Ended up just using a small round file.

no sir. the ones that delivered needed no massaging to fit...

What happened to the Forum? I've been busy for a couple months and haven't visited the forum. Logged in to find that all my messages are gone and the forum has a new format. Please fill me in! Back around Christmas I put a set of my custom Toe rods together for a forum member, and now I can't give him the details. If you read this message get in touch with me if you are still interested.

Members online

No members online now.
Back