Video Trivia: What's that problem!

soduka

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Put gas in it over the weekend. Let it sit for a few days. Go to start it, everything seems normal. Start driving, push the accelerator pedal a little and HUFF, it dies. Any exertion of the accelerator beyond a tiny bit starts this loping even while my foot is completely steady on the pedal applying the same amount of force. Thought oh good, my fuel pump took a dump because they always do right after you fill the tank with gas.

Idles completely normally though.

As seen in the video however, pressure appears to be within normal limits. Electrical problem?

See video, watch tach and fuel pressure gauge: https://youtu.be/xd5c3hy6HG4

Already tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the learning process, didn't help.

Interesting story, and the fix turned out to be free.

A spider found its way into my Mass Airflow Sensor and decided to call it home and coat the entire passageway and platinum wires in thick cobb webs. Would you believe that without that input the car doesn't know what to do.

Side note: Signs of owning an aging car: Apparently Walmart nor none of the major parts chains carry our air filters in regular stock anymore. They have to be ordered in. The paper catalogs don't even list air filter model numbers anymore for the Mark VIII.

This board is so dead nowadays it's depressing.

Remember that the newest car is now 18 years old. I, too, miss being able to get an answer from 10 different people within 30 minutes, but time is not our ally. Lincolns of Distinction is also slowing considerably. The car I have now will be part of my estate, as I will fix anything that goes down asap. That doesn't mean I am not interested in any barn find 30k mile car with flat tires and bags for $1000, either. So, I guess I am hoping that even a few still come here - at least until I cannot log in anymore......

Glad it was something you could find and correct.

I have been trying out different sites to see which one is the most responsive. I went with this one at first and was most active here, but I am also out of sync with most, as I am more able to work on my cars in the winter, and less so in the summer (115 this weekend), so when I am posting questions or things I have done most people are hibernating.

I try not to post dumb stuff just for the purpose of posting, but I try to give back at sites that help me.

Facebook is killing the forums.
you can get the 10 responses in 30 minutes there.
many old forum regulars have made it there, even if not all of them post.

While I have a couple ghosts in the thread, does that fuel pressure look appropriate? I've always had a CEL error code related to the fuel pump, can't recall off hand what it is. Something like circuit open or something or other. The pressure looks good and seems to respond correctly to the RPMs?

fuel pressure should correspond to vacuum, which sort of corresponds to load.
so 30 psi at high vacuum (no load), 40 psi at low vacuum (high load).

when its loping, its at 40 psi, implying low vacuum.
i would look for a vacuum leak.

Facebook is killing the forums.
you can get the 10 responses in 30 minutes there.
many old forum regulars have made it there, even if not all of them post.
I go to FB often, great response to buy and sell parts. A lot more people, and A lot of them don't have a clue about MK VIII's, and some don't even have one. Laughter is good for you, and I get my daily dose over there.

The are many knowledgable people and it won't take you long to figure it out. Many of the tips provided send you back here with a link or LOD. There is plenty of room in this hobby for the two of them, forums and social media...

Du

Members online

No members online now.
Back