How many Falures of Accel Coils. Anyone ?

Further update AND WHAT NOT TO DO!!!!

I made up and installed one of the jumpers and then got run inside by the rain. Ran out of time and just put the tube back in place so as to be able to drive the car. The computer doesn't like to try to run a set of COPs with different polarity in one cylinder than is true for the others. The car started just fine but I noticed, by the instantaneous fuel mileage readout, that the engine doesn't really like it. I got about a half MPG lower. Still lots of rain here so I've eliminated the single installed jumper and will wait for the unending rain to stop and replace all the plugs and install all the jumpers at the same time---likely next weekend because it's Sunday late afternoon at present.

KS

Im sure someone has asked this before. But instead of cut modifying the Accel Coils, or levaing the engine coil covers off.

Any way to just get shorter Rubber boots for the Accels, and then they will not stick out so high?

Im sure someone has asked this before. But instead of cut modifying the Accel Coils, or levaing the engine coil covers off.

Any way to just get shorter Rubber boots for the Accels, and then they will not stick out so high?

Nope. There is not enough room between the valve cover and the coil cover with the connector sticking up. If you flatten the connector like I did then you can fit the coil covers on. You will also have to use the LS boots in order for that to happen to begin with which sits the coil down about as low as you can go.

Anyone know what the spec's on the Stock Coils vs the Accel colis. Windings, Volts, turns ratio? And other specs. Thanks

Anyone know what the spec's on the Stock Coils vs the Accel colis. Windings, Volts, turns ratio? And other specs. Thanks

Is this info really going to influence your decision one way or the other to buy Accels? Im just curious why you need this info. Between this thread and several PM's you should have all the info you need to make an informed decision on your COP purchase.

*edit....i see you made your purchase. Still curious of what use this info is to you

I installed my accels around January-February. They've been fine this whole time. Every now and then when I starts the car, it'll act like it has a misfire. But it goes away after driving it a bit. It did this before the swap so I think it might be the computer. Runs great otherwise. Oh. And the stock cover fit over the accels with no modification. The cover is actually what holds the coils down in place.

Is this info really going to influence your decision one way or the other to buy Accels? Im just curious why you need this info. Between this thread and several PM's you should have all the info you need to make an informed decision on your COP purchase.

*edit....i see you made your purchase. Still curious of what use this info is to you

I'm working on a individual theory. I'll share when I get the result. I need to know what the stock specs on the Lincoln Factory Coils are. Do you or anyone know them, or where I can get it?

I installed my accels around January-February. They've been fine this whole time. Every now and then when I starts the car, it'll act like it has a misfire. But it goes away after driving it a bit. It did this before the swap so I think it might be the computer. Runs great otherwise. Oh. And the stock cover fit over the accels with no modification. The cover is actually what holds the coils down in place.

Pics? Part number of your Accels? I doubt you have the correct accels, its physically impossible to fit the Accel 140032-8 COPs under the cover.

Yea I would also like to know what part # and a Pic if you could. And did you have to reverse the polarity on the connectors??

I put in Visteons at 54k in 2013. My coils were failing but I still believe that had something to do with a careless engine bay wash by the dealer as the tops of my spark plugs were rusty. I haven't had any issues with them and I have 89k now, but I don't think they are available anymore.

I think the point here is people who have replaced their coils with the Motorcraft ones don't experience unreasonable failures, they are just more expensive. So if you don't want to pay the money, you'll have to go with Accels and mod them. Its a clear trade off. For me, I am not one to cut up some coils and run with my coil covers off. However, if I were going with Accels I would look into trying to cut the center out of the coil covers, and maybe getting some type of plexiglass that fits in there but is raised or domed. I hope that makes sense. You'd still have the outside of the coil covers there to bolt into place, but then just modify the covers. To me, modifying the covers seems like a better choice than modifying the coils.

Maybe one day everyone will be reading this thread because Motorcraft coils are no longer available like the Visteons are now. Man, if that were the case this forum is going to become a brutal place.

I really dont know why most are afraid to leave the cop covers off. The mustangs that these cops are for do not have covers. The boots seal the plug wells water tight. I have had Accels for years with no covers....and no issues. To each his own i guess.

Accel can probably provide the information on their coils, check their website. OEM coils, you usually can't get this information. If you really want to know you'll have to test one. An alternator rebuild shop might be able to test them for you as they have to test their rebuilt alternators to make sure the rebuild was correct but it would depend on what gear they have. Alternators put out 12V at high amperage and coils can put out as much as 120,000 volts with milliamp outputs so their gear may not be capable of reading the voltage.

Ok so I tried to install the Accel Coils today. Broke the bottom clip on the 1st connecter. Tried all kinds on ways posted here to get them out. And they would not Budge.

So I'm thinking I'm going to just cut the wires reverse them, solder them cover in heat shrink, then tape them back up. Has anybody done it this way? And will this work?

So I'm thinking I'm going to just cut the wires reverse them, solder them cover in heat shrink, then tape them back up. Has anybody done it this way? And will this work?

Long as you cut and reverse them where the wires can still be flexible as it approaches the connector it should be fine. Use a marine-grade heatshrink which has the adhesive on the inside to seal itself shut. After that you can skip taping them other then to hold a bundle together.

All most a year later. I just installed the Accel's in my 02 LS Sport with 201k miles. They run great and seem to outperform the stock ones in response and acceleration.

Want to ask those with them in their cars again to chime in. Anyone have a Accel failure yet to date to report?????

No failures but i switched to MSD cop's. Two of my Accels broke a tab when i was in my accident two years ago. I had been running them without a mounting tab for that long and they never failed or leaked any water past the boot. The MSD's have come down in price recently. Less than $200 for a set now. When i did my Accel swap, the MSD's were around $300 a set.

Hey I wanted to ask you a few things, and thanks for posting. So did you notice a different in the response with the Accels?

And how about the Blaster response? Better? Are the Blasters a plug and play? No wire reversal? Fit better than Accels.

Tell us about the Blasters? Thanks.

MSD cops are identical to Accel in that you must switch polarity and they mount the same. I installed Accel cops when i purchased the car. It had 3 different cops and 4 different spark plugs with oil in all but 2 plug wells. So i really have no comparison to judge an improvement or not. I didnt notice any gains switching from Accels to MSDs...other than they look pretty cool.

honestly, a working coil is a working coil... you will never notice a difference no matter what brand you have vs any other good properly working coil.

My Accel COPs are still chugging along just fine at somewhere around 70K-miles with no issues. Mine are the ones with the connector modified to lay flat and using the LS boots so that it all fits under the factory covers. So no failures and mine probably see higher temperatures then the ones without the covers.

Well I have a 06 LS with 52k, and a 02 LS Sport V8 with 201k. I have owned the 02 from 2005. The 02 has never felt as responsive as I does now with the Accel coils in it.

Prior to me installing the Accels, I had nt known problems, coils or other wise at that time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back