question about Code 214

93mark8rules

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 Mark VIII and I recently got a check engine light that goes off at idle but comes back on when accelerating. Also I noticed the car is a little down on power. I scanned it and got code 214. I did some searching and found out that 214 can be caused by a dead coil pack, bad cam sensor, or bad ECM. Now last summer when I bought the car it ran horrible and was showing something like 12 different codes. Until I found the real problem I replaced a ton of parts. But the ones that matter here are that I changed, the spark plugs and wires, both oxygen sensors, replaced one coil pack, and the cam sensor. Ive only put about 12,000 miles on the car from last year to this year, and haven't had to do any recent work so I dont think I knocked a something loose. I checked and all of the coils are firing, but it does have a random miss at idle that comes and goes. Also after a hot restart, if I get home shut the car off and restart it within 5 mins it runs rough then smooths right out. Is there anything else that could randomly generate this code?

Some data from Ford Service manual (for dealer serviceshops):
Code 214 generated only as a continious memory code, not right-now fault or engine running.

DR1 CONTINUOUS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 214: WILL ENGINE START?
Continuous Memory DTC 214 indicates an error has been detected in the Cylinder Identification (CID) input signal. The error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittent condition. (notice, that your data is not equal)

Possible causes:
-- Open or shorted harness.
-- Damaged Camshaft Position (CMP)/Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
-- Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM) (if equipped).
-- Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

1. Will engine start?

Yes
GO to «DR2».

No
GO to «Section 8A», Electronic Ignition (EI) Diagnostics.

Assume "Yes" as an answer and continue to DR2:

DR2 CLEAR AND ATTEMPT TO REGENERATE DTC 214

Clear Continuous Memory (refer to Quick Test Appendix, «Section 5A»).
Start engine.
Increase rpm to greater than 1500 rpm for 10 seconds. Repeat two times.
Key off.
Rerun KOEO Self-Test.

1. Is Continuous Memory DTC 214 present?

Yes
GO to «DR3».

No
DTC 214 is intermittent. GO to «DR20».

And now waiting for your answer...

PS. In my own expirience - code 214 usially means that you need this part http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=663917&cc=1188525&jsn=464 + installation. Wires are fractured just aside of a socket.

Belive it or not I actually did everything the manual said up to DR3 does DR3 tell you to change the socket? Im going to have to just buy the book.

But I think Im going to order the socket and try it. You said the wires are usually fractured just aside of a socket, how far back should I cut my harness when I do install the new plug?

I went until DR3, where we test electrical connectivity from sensor plug to PCM plug, detected the fracture and repaired it with new pigtail.
This is full DR3 from service manual:
DR3 CHECK CID CIRCUIT CONTINUITY TO PCM

Key off.
Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Install breakout box. Leave PCM disconnected.
Disconnect Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor (refer to DR cover pages for sensor test pin number and sensor location).
Measure resistance between the CID/CID(+) Signal Test Pin at the breakout box and the CID/CID(+) circuit at the CMP sensor vehicle harness connector.
Also measure resistance between Test Pin 46 and SIG RTN circuit at the CMP sensor vehicle harness connector.
Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes
GO to «DR4».

No [this was my problem]
SERVICE open circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN «Quick Test».

If I put my multimeter leads right on the cam sensor how man ohms should I read? I just want to make sure it wasn't just a cheap sensor that decided to fail before I go soldering a new plug and lead on my harness.

Multimeter testing both wires from sensor connector to PCM connector is much more informative than sensor testing.

PS. Been away occasinaly for a while - sorry.

Members online

No members online now.
Back