Multiple codes, rough idle and tranny shifting issue

Damaged

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK guys I did use the search function but got slightly overwhelmed by results and began to go cross-eyed from all the threads that went quickly to multiple other subject and not the original question. LOL

I have a 2002 LS V8 non-sport with 84K miles. I have changes all the coils and the VCGs about 4 years and 20K miles ago (yeah, I don't put a lot of miles on my cars since I work from home)

I am getting MULTIPLE codes, and car is doing the idling up and down thing. I had the same a year ago with the idling issue, replaced the MAF (it almost looked like a burned fuse as ) and all was right with the world. I am currently gettting the following codes;
P0171- which is MAF
P0174- again MAF
P0101- MAF or circuit
P0306- misfire in #6
P0456- gas cap or charcoal cannister???
P1131- cylinder bank lean condition
p1151- cylinder bank lean condition

On top of that, I get a hot chemical-ish smell from under the car and it looks as if the exhaust is throwing off a lot more heat than normal, so I am assuming the cats are shot. I am also getting a weird up/down shift at about 55 MPH or so as if the car does not know what gear it wants to be in....

I know these have been covered before. I definitely will change #6 coil, but not sure if the cats re causing the other codes, or the cause of the other codes is what killed the cats....

Okay,
1. What brand of coils did you use?
2. Did you replace the plugs at the same time, and did you set the gap to 1.0mm on each.
3. Do you have an aftermarket intake?

P0171 is System Too Lean Bank 1 - A MAF problem is only one of a dozen or so possible causes for this.
P0174 - System Too Lean Bank 2
P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance - Could be the MAF, or it could be the wiring to it, or it could be an air leak or how it is mounted in the intake. Codes never tell you specifically that a part needs to be replaced. They only tell you where to start troubleshooting.
P0456 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak - gas cap, fuel tank, fuel tank plumbing, vent solenoid valve, pressure sensor, wiring, ...
P1131 - Lack Of Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Switches - Sensor Indicates Lean - It's really lean
P1151 - Lack Of Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 Switches - Sensor Indicates Lean - It's really lean

If the MAF or the circuits to the MAF are really the problem, unplugging the MAF should make the lean codes go away.

joegr,

I don't remember what brand I used, think they were Motorcraft, but it was 4 years ago. Did replace spark plugs, seem to remember gapping them, but again; it was 4 years ago. The only non-stock thin I have on the car is a K&N air filter, but that was put on 8 years ago.

Should I just disconnect the MAF and let it run and see if P1131/P1151 go away? How long would that normally take?

Thanks!
Dennis

And we cleaned and lightly re-oiled this K&N filter how often over the course of this eight year period? Just asking because we've seen dumber things as of late.

Joegr,

OK I will take a look at that. Would that, in turn be causing some of the the other codes? And could all of this, in concert, have taken out the cats?

Dennis

Where do you suggest I start? I was thinking I would clean the air filter thoroughly as well as the MAF. Change out #6 coil and reset codes by disconnecting battery....

Thoughts?

Dennis

"Where do you suggest I start? I was thinking I would clean the air filter thoroughly as well as the MAF. Change out #6 coil and reset codes by disconnecting battery....

Thoughts?

Dennis "
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/for...items-for-sale

Is there a reason that you keep directing me to a bunch of miscellaneous parts you have for sale? Or are you just trying to get your link up as many times as possible?

Is there a reason that you keep directing me to a bunch of miscellaneous parts you have for sale? Or are you just trying to get your link up as many times as possible?

Ace has been pushing his For Sale post in every mildly relevant thread since the post first went up 7 months ago. Ace wants you to buy the coils and plugs to fix half your potential problem

Maybe lowering the prices or stating "$xx OBO" would garner some sales, instead of stating

If you own an LS for any length of time you will need all these items. They are for sale as lots, shipping to be paid by the buyer. I will use USPS priority mail. These are all at discount to listed prices so don't bother asking.

The first problem I see is the prices reflect what Ace probably paid at the time, not what the parts are actually valued at. Why pay retail price + shipping for coils and plugs when you can pay retail at a Ford dealer and the plugs with Amazon Prime to save the shipping? Rockauto will ship the VCGs for cheaper. For the price of that single 9005 bulb ($35+shipping), I can get a pair on Amazon ($38), or pay $20 for a single. But the wheels are a good deal at least if you can't source them in a junkyard

Then there's the part where Ace isn't having a conversation with anyone. Make a post showing you need coils? "your prayers have been answered [FS page link]". Ask for pictures of the wheels? "all you seek is here [link to pictureless craigslist ad]

My craigslist results also strongly resembles that pattern with 1 to 3 sequential posts from Ace every time

I understand you want to move your items, but you're going to have to be more open to offers (and open to losses) if you want to get things going. Or understand no one wants to buy trivial maintenance parts ahead of time like bulbs and O2 sensors. If my year matched the service manual and if I wasn't set on the StR brake upgrade, I'd have bought the manuals and wheels long ago.

not exactly the kind of help I was hoping for. With any luck he will sell of his stuff and go away.

Now, any other advice on all my issues (car related only please... lol)

Dennis

Members online

Back