Air Ride Dilema

mmikeman

LVC Member
Reaction score
So the time has come where my air ride I think is finally calling it a quits, since I bought my Mark 8 @ 100,000 miles I've had a failing compressor, one leaking back spring...which really wasn't that bad....only had to turn pump on once every 3 months to inflate it, other springs held air fine .....now my front right spring has started leaking so bad I need to turn pump on daily to inflate it, it seems to leak the minute there is any sort of weight on the passenger side.....already in the process of ordering a coil spring conversion kit, I wanted this air ride gone since Day 1, for now until I have the funds however.....I thought about putting Tire Sealant or as they call it green slime into the spring to seal the leak.....since I am already scratching the air ride system at this point I don't really see any harm in doing this for now....question is has anyone else here tried this before as a temporary fix and if so how do I get the green slime into the spring without drilling a hole in it?

So the time has come where my air ride I think is finally calling it a quits, since I bought my Mark 8 @ 100,000 miles I've had a failing compressor, one leaking back spring...which really wasn't that bad....only had to turn pump on once every 3 months to inflate it, other springs held air fine .....now my front right spring has started leaking so bad I need to turn pump on daily to inflate it, it seems to leak the minute there is any sort of weight on the passenger side.....already in the process of ordering a coil spring conversion kit, I wanted this air ride gone since Day 1, for now until I have the funds however.....I thought about putting Tire Sealant or as they call it green slime into the spring to seal the leak.....since I am already scratching the air ride system at this point I don't really see any harm in doing this for now....question is has anyone else here tried this before as a temporary fix and if so how do I get the green slime into the spring without drilling a hole in it?

I've never done it but members have with "positive" results. How long it worked I don't know but from what I remember it was a good option to get some more mileage out of them. Since you're already committed to switching to coils I don't see the harm in trying. :)

No need to drill, remove the solenoid and there's a little hole that goes into the bag. I'd imagine using the sealant with a small hose would work.

They're garbage either way. May as well try.

Going to try and get solenoid out tonight, do you think I need any extra tools to get it out or does it just pull out of the bag once I remove the tire from the car? Drove it last night and seemed fine until someone decided to sit in the passenger seat then the car dropped several minutes later, got some money together to get the front conversion parts however also if I convert the front air struts to coils can I leave the back airbags on for now until I get more cash to change those over?

I limped along my air ride for years.......I had pretty good luck sliming them, and I am curious you should have the switch in the trunk on all the time. Anyways, the way I did it was....remove the shock and compress it all the way (upside down) Pour slime in the place the filler fits in let it uncompress sucks it in Keep doing that till you get half the bottle in. Clean up the filler, put it back in.

On the passenger side filling, how big is that person could make it want to inflate some. But the switch should be on all the time.

To be honest the whole system was shot when I first bought the car, the compressor used to constantly come on basically until it would die due to a slow leak in one of the back springs so I would usually keep it off until the back loses air after 2-3 weeks, turn it back on, I decided to order the front conversion kit installed it myself after a few hours, the solenoid I tied up to the frame and disconnected the electrical connector, went to turn on switch to inflate back ones, now compressor won't come on period....am I going to be stuck doing the rear ones now as well? Or does anyone know a way I can get the compressor to come on without the front air bags installed??

Forgot to mention I also tried reconnecting the electrical connectors and it still won't come on now getting
"check air ride system"

Not sure if you already bought the coil over kit. But Ive known a lot of people who hate the coil over kit, most complain about squeeks and a rough ride meanwhile Ive always been happy with my bags. Easiest way to get NEW BAGS CHEAP is to register with Autozone.com they give you 20% off your online order and they usually send a coupon like every week in your email. I got both my front air struts for like 175 a piece, they come with solenoids and they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! I got the rear bags off ebay the pair was $100 but they were also wade by Westar and have a life time warranty but didnt have solenoids. Now my mark rides great and in theory Ill never have to pay for a suspension part ever. Just something to think about

I'm assuming you swapping o-ring in your leaking bags and that didn't solve it?
So you're getting new West at front bags? Keep us posted as to how those hold up for you

He shouldnt have trouble, Ive got about 12,000 trouble free miles on them. But we'll see.

Members online

Back