Who makes tie rods still?

OEM or these RimmerBro UK Jaguar aftermarket REAR TOE ADJUST LINKAGES, which are really left over Deeza's that didn't get the black paint.

If you want to keep your rear passive steer you should go with Motorcraft OEM, if you don't care about or think it will make a difference then get the RimmerBro. Note that I found that on the inside of the outer pivots, a little round filing is needed to remove some sorts of ribs, as apposed to wacking the through bolt in.

* So glad you guys like that little RimmerBro gem I guinea pigged for you's. Nice of me to share! They fit and work just fine. Same as the black Deeza's

BTW: the Motorcraft OEM REAR TOE ADJUST LINKAGES do go on sale at Tasca from time to time, just gotta keep an eye on them. Currently on sale 31% off @ $123.95 each.

Moog has your front outer tie rods and front/rear sway bar stabilizer links covered. (for now)

Rockauto.com p/n's

MOOG ~ ES800414 ~ Front Right Outer Tie Rod End
MOOG ~ ES800415 ~ Front Left Outer Tie Rod End

MOOG ~ K80261 ~ Front Stabilizer Bar Link (x2)

MOOG ~ K80245 ~ Rear Right Stabilizer Bar Link
MOOG ~ K80246 ~ Rear Left Stabilizer Bar Link

Don't buy Dorman or Deutsche Parts, wreck waiting to happen. Reviews on the web that they come apart.

How will rearsteer be affected that much by just the tierods its solidly in place? I have tight oem on now but they are rusted and boots wrecked.

How will rearsteer be affected that much by just the tierods its solidly in place? I have tight oem on now but they are rusted and boots wrecked.

There is a spring loaded section in the OEM toe-links.

Allow me to elaborate,

As Joe already mentioned there is a dampener in the middle of the Motorcraft OEM rear Toe Adjust Linkages.

see pic,

attachment.jpg

See the black OEM linkages? See the bulged portion near the end, right after the jam nut ?
Compared to the RimmerBro UK Jaguar aftermarket, the silver non-painted linkages? It has none, just a straight shaft.

On the OEM's that portion is a dampener, spring loaded I suppose, it's called "Rear Passive Steer".

It allowed for the rear toe adjust to flex a bit during turns, basically the rear wheels are allowed to follow the car around turns.

It's ever so small, you'll never notice it, I bet it's less then a half an inch if that.

On the Deeza's or the RimmerBro UK Jaguar aftermarket rear toe adjust linkages, there is no dampener and thus is a solid rear toe alignment.

Some prefer with rear Passive Steer, some don't care for it and some like myself, just think it's not enough race car and they are cheaper.

Works all the same ... if anything it makes the rear end feel more tight and kicks it straight around the turns.

So far, I've put the Black Deeza's when they were available on my silver 01 LS V8,
Motorcraft OEM on my wife's black 03 LS V8 and the RimmerBro UK Jaguar aftermarket linkages on my black 04 LSE V8.

I enjoy my 01 V8 the most, it's like a little go-kart, it's so tight ... mind ya, I pretty near rebuild the entire underneath of that LS, all linkages, couple control arms, Sport shocks and lowered it on Eibach springs.

If your boots on the end are busted open and all fouled up, you'll have excessive play in the rear end toe adjustment and this will give the rear end of the car a swaying and wobbling feeling, not true to it's center. You need to replace those along with your rear sway bar end links and get it aligned by a shop. Usually you would make sure the front end is up to par and go for a four wheel alignment.

Hope that helps!

GLWR

How will rearsteer be affected that much by just the tierods its solidly in place? ...

Whoops ... Ok, because these passive or non-passive rear steer toe adjust linkages connect to the wheel knuckle, without being connected, your rear wheels would fling side to side.

make sense?

you should find a pic of the rear suspension or crawl underneath and have a look.

The rear toe links(DEEZA) I put on were not passive, like OEMs. They have been doing fine for quite a while on the 04 LS. When I replace the ones on the 03 LS, I think I will go with the more expensive Ford replacements.
The reason being, not just cornering, but anytime you weigh the car down with extra passengers, weight in trunk, or both, the toe-in changes on the rear wheels. The more weight, the more rear toe-in, fighting the trueness/flatness off the rear tires trying to run true.
When I had mine aligned, I put weight in the trunk to account for some of this, and it's been fine. don-ohio :)^)

Personally I found the passive steering to be annoying. I don't like the feeling of the rear shifting a bit. There is another option if passive steering is either unimportant or unacceptable to you, someone here built a set of rear links. Search for Heim joints on this board and the thread should come up.

I would think the passive steering would allow the toe to change more then often ever so slightly and wear the tires out. The boots are gone but they are tight as I checked them. I would perfer a solid rear..

As I understand it, it's not a progressive steering response. At least, it takes quite a bit of lateral force to get any action. If you drive hard enough to trigger the passive rear steer, you probably expect to replace tires on your own account anyway

It's a weight thing too. Like I said,if the rear is lowered by extra weight. the toe link is a little nearer a 90 degree angle, making for more toe-in,unless it collapses a little. don-ohio :)^)

If you look at the length of the collapsible part, you can see that it's not going to move very far at all. Even GM's active rear steering only moved the rear wheels 12 degrees. It just doesn't take much to affect direction when the rear wheels.

I prefer the OEM rear steer. Besides, I can do U-turns better to get in that opposite facing 1st slot at Wally World.

Members online

No members online now.
Back