Replacing the rear shocks

JamesVinar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
When I replaced the suspension i stupidly left the air shocks on. Is there anything special to do when replacing them? I'm only worried about the springs shooting out

You don't have to worry about the spring shooting out when replacing the shocks. Jack it up via the lca, remove top nut in trunk and remove lower shock bolt. Install in reverse order.

Thats good. Also on the front left tire theres a squeaking sound whenever the car is moving forward, what do you think it is?

Brake pad wear indicator? Also check to see if the metal shield behind the rotor is making contact with anything. You're going to have to get in there and have a look see.

Metal plate was bent for sure. Looks dry under there. Should I take a grease gun to it?

Metal plate was bent for sure. Looks dry under there. Should I take a grease gun to it?

If the suspension parts have grease/zerk fitting then yeah. Check all the boots for cracks while you're at it.

Lol I just realized that your reply was on here not Lodo. My bad.
I greased up everything I could, the plug under the drivers side tie rod end was frozen so I couldn't hit that, all clunks were fixed with that but I still have the squeaking when I'm moving forward. If it was the wear indicator wouldn't that only be going off when I'm stopping?

Not necessarily, no. I have a pretty decent squeak going on in the front brakes because the drivers side pad anti-rattle spring is out. There were some extenuating circumstances which led to my removing it due to noise (warped front rotors), but that may be something to look at if you haven't been into the brakes recently. Also bear in mind that these cars are normally very hard on brakes, and braking parameters can change very rapidly depending on driving style and the quality of the brake components on the car. But I know I need to replace brakes, so I know what this is. In this case, I would be willing to bet it is centralized in either the brakes or a ball joint. But if it's a constant squeak, probably brakes. I'd go over all of the front end wear items, as Mark VIII's just love to eat them all up. Got a '96 here, just so you know..

Members online

No members online now.
Back