The short power steering pressure line

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, its been awhile. I have had an ongoing slow power steering leak. I thought it was from the rack itself and the car mostly sat in the garage all winter. Today I examined it more closely and decided it was leaking from the short line to the rack. I wiggled it and fluid came pouring out. Moving it made the leak 100 times worse. That line is cracked and must be replaced. The problem is, it looks like a royal bitch to get to. Does anyone know of a good way to change it? Do I need a customized wrench to get in there? Also, I have considered just letting an independent shop close to my house do the job. Can I drive it there? It's like 1/2 mile. I will have no P/S fluid for the drive over.

Oh. '96 Mark VIII

I drove without a power steering pump/fluid for two months four years ago. I'm not saying it's a good idea but my steering rack was still good by the time I put a new pump on.

I'm considering driving there without the serpentine belt. That should be easier on the pump and it won't overheat that short of a distance.

I don't think you'll have a problem driving 1/2 mile, just make sure to top it off and that the battery has some juice.

I've never replaced that elbow, but when my buddy replaced the line on a lift and it was still kind of a pita to undo it from the part you're describing.. Iirc he used a pair of line wrenches.

I did mine when I did the pan. PITA even with the sub frame dropped with good access to the fittings. Drive it there and don't worry about it, that short of a distance running the pump empty won't hurt it.

As I just told the other guy, make sure the parts available. Iirc some of those small rack lines were discontinued and are only available used.

The high pressure hose is a two piece assembly and available at napa. Two different part numbers. You want both of them. They cost about $70 for the pair.

You will have to pry off and reuse the mounting brackets.

A stubby 18mm wrench will be very helpful. I don't know how you could change the short line at the rack without dropping the subframe down. I already had my dropped to do the pan.

Not sure if it matters, mine is a 98.

Du

I already replaced the long line. Well, he quoted me $100 sight unseen but he couldn't really visualize it. I'm just afraid he's going to call me after seeing what all is involved and either refuse to do it or charge me way more. I wish I could find anyone who has done it successfully without dropping the sub frame....

I already replaced the long line. Well, he quoted me $100 sight unseen but he couldn't really visualize it. I'm just afraid he's going to call me after seeing what all is involved and either refuse to do it or charge me way more. I wish I could find anyone who has done it successfully without dropping the sub frame....

You don't drop the subframe (although it makes it easier for sure). You drop the rack.
Disconnect the rag joint. Remove two large mounting bolts, and disconnect the tie-rods.
Small profile 18mm wrench will help a lot. Make sure the new elbow comes with fresh teflon seals.

Members online

No members online now.
Back