Car randomly shakes when stopped.

tristangoesham

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so my car randomly "nudges" when I'm stopped at a light. It feels like someone just shoved the car. It's slight but you can feel it. I've had the car for 5 years now and haven't changed the coils yet, could that be the cause?

I also recently replaced an ERG valve tube, I wonder if it went in the correct place. I can't find a diagram of the ERG tubing, if someone could link that'd be great.

EGR tube,you mean? Or vacuum line? I was gonna say a vacuum leak will cause very erratic and usually high idle.Also make sure you regularly replace the fuel filter every 25K miles or so. don-ohio :)^)

Ok so my car randomly "nudges" when I'm stopped at a light. It feels like someone just shoved the car. It's slight but you can feel it. I've had the car for 5 years now and haven't changed the coils yet, could that be the cause?

I also recently replaced an ERG valve tube, I wonder if it went in the correct place. I can't find a diagram of the ERG tubing, if someone could link that'd be great.

Yes,replace the fuel filter but make sure nothing that can cause a spark is near.That includes a trouble light. If you can find the pressure release at the fuel rail,depress the center like a tire valve until pressure is gone before you start unhooking the lines on the filter.
My shop manual or my 04 is out in the car in the driveway or I'd look up the EGR tube positions for you.This is an 06,V8 right?
don-ohio :)^)

If you used the factory hose assembly, it's hard to connect it wrong.

All hoses are correct. I think it's my transmission. It will only shake when the car is in gear. If I put it in park it won't shake.

Well,it kinda sounds like the solenoid connector on tranny has a bad wire, maybe. Torque converter lock-up not disengaging, maybe. Do a search here for info. Have you run the OBD II codes?don-ohio :)^)

No I don't have the codes but as I said the car will wobble once every few seconds when I'm at a stop. I'm pretty sure it wobbles when I'm driving too but it's much harder to tell when you're driving.

Oh,okay,it's not a shake,but a wobble? That sounds like your typical bad misfire. Have you had the COPs changed? That's Coil over spark plugs. Lots of info. here and the OBD II code will come up for that. Auto Zone may help you with the codes for free. Of course,taking it to Ford/Lincoln is tops. don-oho :)^)

Yeah I'd say it's more of a wobble, as if someone outside nudged the car. I've never changed the coils and I've had it for 5 years but as I said if I put the car in park it doesn't wobble.

Well,you probably need Motorcraft coils,and plugs. Check out that OBD II and post back. don-ohio

Took the coils out only to find locally they were super expensive. Ordered some online and put the coils back in and the random wobble went away. I'm guessing one of the coils got loose or is on the verge of going out.

Well,glad you got rid of the problem.Thanks for posting back on your solution. don-ohio :)^)

Members online

Back