Could some of you guys help me troubleshoot this issue?

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Driving home from work the other day the car started a miss. A VERY pronounced miss that I could feel at 50+mph. Once I came to a stop the car was romping(stumbling) pretty bad.

I had the codes read and it's po174 bank 2 lean.

I wondered if it was a COP so I took the covers off and pulled the front COP on the drivers side and the spark plug well had quite a bit of oil in it. Could this have fouled the spark plug?

the oil will cause the coil to short instead of fire the plug.
i would clean the oil out and check the plug.
go from there.
time for valve cover gaskets though. and maybe a new boot.

I took the oil out of the the front plug on the drivers side and I'm guessing it was about a teaspoon. I replaced the boot on that coil. I started swapping out coil's on the drivers side and found it was the 2nd coil from the front. Upon inspection of the OEM coil there was a crack on the top of the coil. Wow...

Anyway, thanks for the responses. If anyone has this issue and the stumble is persistent through the entire rang of RPM, significant (down on power, lots of shaking in the car, pronounced 'romp' when idling) check the coil's. My engine light never came on but I had a PO174 Bank 2 lean code. 1 coil is 40~ (aftermarket) depending on where you get it. You can swap it out with each cylinder to find the bad coil.

The oil itself can cause the failure also I believe - with that much oil its time for valve cover gaskets and a spark plug seals.

I paid $212 for a set of OEM Ford Racing coils (fit perfect) for all 8 and thats what is in mine now.

Thanks for the reminder!!!

I also have to do the valve cover gaskets on the WF because 4 wells are drowned in oil. I'm quite certain that with as much oil that builds up in the wells, I'd get hydrolock if I didn't do the tedious task of extracting as much oil as I can with the fitting and soaking what remains with a rag before finally feeling comtfortable enough to take off the plugs.

I already learned the hard way once and certainly dont need a reminder.

I'm going to bump this thread because I had a similar problem this week in my 97 LSC. As I came to a stop light, the engine started feeling pretty rough and the check engine light started blinking. I took it to a shop near work and the mechanic found oil in the spark plug well. Now he wants $2300 to replace the intake manifold gasket, coils, plugs, and valve cover gaskets. I get the valve cover gaskets and the bad plug and coil, but is there any reason they would need to pull the entire intake manifold off for this?

Is it just the gaskets that get old or is it that the value covers get loose over time and torquing them would solve this?

For me, it is the spark plug tube seal that needs to be replaced on the underside of the valve cover. I don't think the valve cover gasket has a problem at all, but I haven't had an opportunity to pull the cover off to find out.

Is it just the gaskets that get old or is it that the value covers get loose over time and torquing them would solve this?

If it were me i'd certainly try snugging the covers (after a well clean-up) to see if they still fill with oil. Can't hurt at this point.

I haven't had this issue. I was thinking preventive maintenance. Similar to spraying the IMRC springs twice a year, so they do not get stuck and light up the CEL or hosing out the front side of the back quarter panel to keep that area from rusting out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back