the curious case of my silver lsc.

tank

LVC Member
Reaction score
first off hello, also im not exactly new, ths profile however is . now a few months back, i lost power followed by stalling while driving, rough idle, and stalling on start up after a night of sitting. check plugs oil on them, i replace the valve cover gaskets, removes stalling while driving, replace plugs and coils, now all but some slightly rough idle and the stalling on start up is left also cel which i check and it shows maf low volt p0102 also p0100. on top of that im almost certain the cats are fouled from driving it to my school whilst the valve cover gaskets were bad.there is also a hose that is badly corroded from what ive found is apart of the PVC going to the intake manifold that i cant find removal procedures for. any guidance at this point would be welcome. next move now is attempting to clean the maf, then troubleshooting the cats (more like visually inspect), beyond that im at a bit of a loss thanks in advance.

First check the wires on the MAF sensor itself and make sure the whole things secure, then get some cleaner (You need special MAF Cleaner from autozone or somewhere) and spray it down. The Cats normally give a code when they are bad or if you look under the car after it has run for a bit they would be glowing red.
Can't say i know about the PVC you're talking about, a pic would help.

so, i go to clean the maf and it's disconnected. i clean it, then plug it up, it runs good when started with the maf now active but stalls when put in gear.

Not sure why you would think valve cover gaskets would ruin cats. Its takes a ton of fuel to do so. If the cats are bad, you will get a code for the downstream O2 sensors - thats all they do, watch the cats. Upstream affect fuel mixture and are typically replaced every 60k miles.

If the MAF was unplugged, reset the computer. With it hooked up now, it may be a little off. It should not be, but anytime there is a dramatic sensor change, always reset the computer.

To me is sounds like you have a vacuum leak though. Starting fluid may help you locate it. If that is not the case, then remove/clean the Idle Air Control valve. Very easy to do on the Gen II.

1st off thanks to you both for responding, next I to be honest I knew they were going because I smelt the sulfuric acid build up(rotten egg smell) at highway speeds when floored. Also with the plugs covered in oil it affects the short fuel trims of the car drastically dumping fuel because of it. I was thinking vacuum too because of the hose on the intake being no good. I'm going to attempt to get a pic and indentify the hose I'm speaking of. Iac... I'm going to look into this, as it didn't even factor into my equation.

Rotten egg smells means they are working, thats all. Still not sure where you are getting your oil covered boots affecting fuel from. Flame front is flame front and the car has O2 sensors.

image2 (1).jpg

image2 (1).jpg

that is the hose im refering to, furthermore i reconnected the maf and reset the mil's/cel. start the car its idling rough and still stalling in gear.

That hose is shot, way shot. Could easily be the issue. In fact most of the soft rubber stuff looks really bad.

That last pic is the IAC (idle air control valve). Remove and clean for safe measure. It will not hurt to hit it up inside with some lubricant after. Just never use silicone spray lube, its hell on the cats.

Trying to find out. What are those hoses, how to remove and replace them. As they appear heat shrunk on. If that is the case I just need to know the kind of hose to acquire.

They are just stuck. Its a high temp rubber hose. You may still be able to get them form Ford. For now you may be able to use the flexible clear stuff from a hardware store. That stuff never bends well so you may have to put extra length for curves to sorta look around itself. Or you could do short pieces with a barbed L fitting (plumbing section). Lots of temp options really.

That first pic is definitely a problem, likely THEE problem. go to the auto parts store and get a couple feet of 3/8" fuel line will do the trick. You do not need fuel injection hose, plain ole fuel line. May not hurt to get some 5/16 - 1/4 - 3/16. It always comes in handy. I typically have a couple feet of each in my box at all times. You may only need a couple of inches here and there but at least you have it. With the age of our cars one of the first things we should always look at are the rubber products. Whether it is under the hood or the suspension. Not quite the root of all old car evil but right up there at the top.

Members online

No members online now.
Back