Crazy things to me it seems.

num1bigguy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Posted here before and received many replies. I've looked vaguely on the site by searching possibly the most used word on the site, misfire. I only searched that because the other day my cel that was on solid the last week began to flash. Took car to autozone and had them check code and that's what their system revealed, a single P0302 and a P0420 which I'm nearly positive is the cat that was removed by a local exhaust shop as it was blown and made exhaust very loud. Car is a 1996 mark viii. It has 124,000 miles. Previous owner did tune up at 95,000. When the car was still drive able I could tell there was a slight miss. Now it will barely move. If I touch the gas in park the tach jumps to 2000 instantly and without changing pedal pressure drops 1 second later to about 750. Also when trying to get car to rev I hear a whooshing sound from up front as if there was a few freshly slashed tires under the hood. Hopefully someone else has experience with a similar situation and can point me in the right direction. Also during its last ride earlier if I allowed the revs to get above 2000 in any gear it would not shift without lifting off the gas. Lastly within the last 1/2 mile of my destination to push the pedal anymore than a tickle resulted is some serious bucking. Just trying to give all the current symptoms to hopefully narrow this down to an affordable part instead of spending all my haysbusa money to fix car. Thank you in advance.

Also wanted to mention car does start every time with minimal cranks and idles smooth as silk at around the usual 400-500 on my tach.

Catalytic converter was removed for 1000 miles before it triggered cel. Thought it was strange it took that long.

Since I received so much help I'll leave this for the next guy. All is well again. Gutted the remaining cats. Car runs better than ever!

Members online

Back