Help me and i'll buy a LS.. Cross my heart.

Why do you think the EGR may be bad?
Online dealer, such as Tasca or FordPartsGiant

Why do you think the EGR may be bad?
Online dealer, such as Tasca or FordPartsGiant

because its only in traffic or idle when it goes into fail safe mode. I go see my mom about 4 hours away all the time it makes the trip fine. it didn't last 30 min in traffic yesterday I feel like it has something to do with exhaust and because of the smell.

because its only in traffic or idle when it goes into fail safe mode. I go see my mom about 4 hours away all the time it makes the trip fine. it didn't last 30 min in traffic yesterday I feel like it has something to do with exhaust and because of the smell.

EGR is not a factor with ETC failsafe, at all.
You will get a check engine light if there is an EGR problem. The flow through the valve is even measured.

Just so you know:

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation
ETC - Electronic Traction Control

The two systems are totally unrelated to each other. If nothing else, O Reilly has a code reader that will pull ETC codes. They'll loan it, or you can buy for about 100 bucks. The wife got me one for Christmas.

Just so you know:

The two systems are totally unrelated to each other. If nothing else, O Reilly has a code reader that will pull ETC codes. They'll loan it, or you can buy for about 100 bucks. The wife got me one for Christmas.

I use the part stores to read the codes but I cant take it with me and wait for the problem to happen so I think ill buy my own too
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=OCTech.Mobile.Applications.OBDLink&hl=en
If you scroll threw the pictures the app gives you a ton of data I have no idea if it's going to help me or not.

so... I regaped (1 was off by a mile) the plugs and replaced number 4 coil again and went on a 2 hour (stop and go) drive let the car sit idle for 30 more minutes... and no fail safe mode.

so... looks like every time i've replaced number 4 ive fixed the car and then immediately broke it again by washing the car... i've been dealing with this for 2 years.. paid to have it looked at several times.. I feel stupid and happy at the same time haha.

Dude joegr thank you so much for the help looks like i'm in the market for a LS

Just so you know:

Ummm.... In gen 2 ETC= Electronic Throttle Control...

I feel like it has something to do with exhaust and because of the smell.

keep in mind, when the car is misfiring, it is destroying the cats, a car with damaged cats can have a funny smelling exhaust.

Weird how we just covered this whole "#4 misfiring coil will leak EMI into PCM thereby tripping Fail Safe mode associated by storing false throttle body and position sensor codes" ... not too long ago.

I wonder who bought an LS in such condition and fixed it pronto? Hmmm? :confused:

Alright guys thanks for all the help. It took awhile but I just replaced all the coils with new Motorcraft DG529 let the car idle for about 15 minutes and same damn problem went into limp mode.. So what do I try next? Again thank you guys so much for the help.

Did you replace all the spark plugs and make sure their gaps were set at 1.0mm exactly?
What are the exact codes that you are getting?
Did you fix the wiper cowl seal?

I did fix the cowl

did the plugs and checked gap

2107 and 2110 I already tried another throttle body same thing happened.

well i'm going to order a throttle body where do you guys get yours from?

other than like two people over the years, no body has needed to get a throttle body to fix any issues... almost every time there is a throttle body code, its related to something else.

Had all the throttle body codes on my LS ended up just being false codes from cylinder #4 misfiring...bad COP. Might wanna double check what you bought and if your doing it right. Can't hurt if your willing to spend that much chasing the problem.

And mine also went into the limp mode.

ya I love spending money new throttle body didn't do ****... so replace coil 4? it currently has about 3 miles on a new motorcraft coil.. seriously nobody has had it be something else like a egr valve? or clogged cat?

hey guys so the cars been to two different dealers everything talked about here has been replaced. now they want me to get a new ecm because they are back ordered. Are v8 ls the same as the bird? just reprogram it or? where is a good used or rebuilt source? thanks again guys

What Joe said. The support it takes to get the dealers to program a new/rebuilt one for you is ridiculous. I wanted to have mine flash upgraded and they asked like 300 bucks and said there is a good chance that it will destroy it. 'Those cars are known for that.' Truth to me it seems is they get destroyed because their Lincoln Master mechanics (or Fords) are lazy and dont follow the safety procedures and lock it up during the flash.

When I was having tranny issues looked at SIA and it seems a smart way to go. Fortunately, mine was in tranny, so dont need PCM repair -- yet.

... and dont follow the safety procedures and lock it up during the flash.

I must be missing something here all these years.

EPROM

gets a bootstrap instruction set written to it.
and they do this by locking it up ? lock up the transmission ?

I'm not following ... :confused:

WRITE TO [DEVICE] >>

I must be missing something here all these years.

EPROM

gets a bootstrap instruction set written to it.
and they do this by locking it up ? lock up the transmission ?

I'm not following ... :confused:

WRITE TO [DEVICE] >>

No boot EPROM anymore. It's all FLASH, and it can get corrupted during programming such that the PCM is now a brick (I think this is what he is saying by "locked up.") It could likely still be recovered at that point, since there is still some built-in boot ROM. However, that ROM is not smart enough to run the normal programming interface. It would have to be sent back to engineering to have them run the debug interface to reprogram it. The engineering time would cost more than just buying a new one at that point.

The safety procedures would be things such as, making sure the car battery is good and fully charged, putting a good (no noise) battery charger on it at the same time, making sure nothing else on the CAN bus is going to interfere, making sure the programing tool has backup power, and on and on.

Members online

No members online now.
Back