Cant Pass Inspection HORN!!!!

dtwizzy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, community I cannot pass inspection on my 01 LS Sport due to the horn not working from the steering wheel and this is a headache. The time has come to an end for my LS starting to have transmission issues. Well I need to pass inspection so I can trade it in or private sell the car, which leads to the issue the horn or no other controls on the steering wheel work. I know that the issue is the clock spring in the wheel that needs to be replaced. Questions I have:

1) Can a horn be wired from the fuse box to work inside the car? I have seen these kits at auto parts stores.
2) Does anyone have an alternate way of wiring a horn inside the car so that it works, it doesn't have to be a pretty repair I just need it to work in the car and then I will disconnect it once I pass inspection.
3) Can I wire from the wire harness for the clock spring under the steering wheel(small black rectangular box mounted under steering wheel with wire controls coming from the clock spring itself)?

Any help would be great, I DO NOT want to replace the clock spring, as I do not plan on keeping the car so its not an cost effective option to do that myself or pay to have it done, just looking for any alternative.

Seriously?
Anyway, yes any of that can be done. There's nothing to it.
Why don't you just press the panic button on the remote?

You would be disclosing to a would-be buyer that the air bag may not work properly, right? Its only $125 for the part and an afternoon of your time (on par with the ghetto job you have in mind). Just do it right.

Waste of a post!

You would be disclosing to a would-be buyer that the air bag may not work properly, right? Its only $125 for the part and an afternoon of your time (on par with the ghetto job you have in mind). Just do it right.

As I stated I already know how much the part costs and the time it would take and either are not worth the time, as I mentioned I am not keeping the car but I do however need to get everything current on it! And of course I would let a buyer know the flaws that the car has if that is the route that I take! Not familiar with "ghetto job" as you mentioned I need a temporary solution or maybe I didn't make that ghetto clear enough for your reading!

Last edited:
Well I did inform the technician that the horn works and even pressed the panic button and the lock button to show that the horn in fact works but he and others stated that it needs to work either from the steering wheel or from a button inside the car. You stated that it can be done do you have any info on how to actually complete this I did find a you tube video that looked pretty simple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImdwWlaWhpc
. Thanks for any help.

To change the subject on this thread (officially a dead end now)...

We use to hook a coworkers horn up to his AC relay... so mid summer his horn would turn on with the compressor...

Good times!

To change the subject on this thread (officially a dead end now)...

We use to hook a coworkers horn up to his AC relay... so mid summer his horn would turn on with the compressor...

Good times!

Wouldn't that be the other way around? He turns his AC on, and the horn sounds.

Edit: Sorry, I read that wrong. That's exactly what you said.

... You stated that it can be done do you have any info on how to actually complete this I did find a you tube video that looked pretty simple ...

It is simple enough, but on 2nd thought, I decline being a part of this. If you hit the wrong wire in that bundle, you could have an airbag explode in your face.

when you cant get someone to do a $100 safety repair... no advice is deserved...

As I stated I already know how much the part costs and the time it would take and either are not worth the time, as I mentioned I am not keeping the car but I do however need to get everything current on it! And of course I would let a buyer know the flaws that the car has if that is the route that I take! Not familiar with "ghetto job" as you mentioned I need a temporary solution or maybe I didn't make that ghetto clear enough for your reading!

I'm telling you the risk to reward here is piss poor. You're really better off getting a rejection sticker (20 days to drive it and get it repaired depending on state), doing nothing, and letting the next guy fix it properly. You're really risking much more expensive parts, like the air bag, by attempting to modify the wiring. Plus you'd be liable if your ghetto job (half a$$ed repair) caused spontaneous airbag deployment while the next guy is driving it. The only way to avoid this is bypass the clockspring entirely, and run new wire through the firewall and under the hood where it wont get cut or burned, and supply a power source, hopefully fused so the car doesn't burn when the wires short. Then you drill a hole somewhere on the interior and ruin that for an out of place button that you went to the store to buy. Then attach that to the existing horn that's difficult to get to in front of the radiator. That is a rather significant undertaking compared to doing it properly. You may also have trouble selling a car that has a horn button half a$$ed somewhere when it should be in the steering wheel. Try to think a few moves ahead, and you'll realize why doing the proper fix is in fact the least cost.

Of course I wouldn't be sitting in the drivers seat nor would the service tech when pressing the horn button inside the car for the inspection or for the testing part of this! And the video posted above isn't for the LS, just a reference! As I mentioned once this passes inspection this whole assembly will be undone! And a will say thanks for adding in the safety aspect of this as well I wouldn't want anyone getting hurt, and yes airbag explosions are very serious and of course that isn't the expected outcome. Thanks again everyone! :)

Thanks for the clarification! So there is no easy fix for this repair!

[channels my inner BigRig spirit]

What part of the USA are you in and how much do you want for this hornless LS with a failing transmission?

[channels my inner BigRig spirit]

What part of the USA are you in and how much do you want for this hornless LS with a failing transmission?

hornless, AIRBAGLESS LS with a failing transmission

hornless, AIRBAGLESS LS with a failing transmission

He didn't mention the airbag light (not here, anyway). May as well add Cruiseless to the potential problem. But I mean if he's ready to dump the car and the fix is the same...

It seems unlikely that those would be the only problems...

I'd imagine the value of a car with an owner ready to dump it, who'd rather hack up a horn button rather than perform the proper <$200 repair, would make it at least worth its weight in a part out

ok, very simple fix for this...

get a momentary push button switch, a relay, and some wire

un-plug current horn (can do only one to make it easier)

run a wire from one terminal of the horn to ground

run a fused wire from out of the under hood fuse box to a relay (both pin 30 & 85)

run a wire from the relay (pin 87) to the other terminal of the horn

run a wire from relay (pin 86) in the car to one terminal on the switch

then finally ground the other terminal of the switch.

all said and done, about $5 and 60 mins...

and since your not messing with any wires in the steering column, you dont have to chance grabbing the wrong wire and blowing your face off.

Well guys thanks for all of your help! Well my time with the Lincoln LS has come to an end. With the horn issue air bag light and the transmission and other problems I traded it in and got a different car.

sad to see another fallen brother. good luck with the new car.

...and, what is it?!?!

The Lincoln LS is an icon and always will be cant be matched! I opted for a 2007 Lexus ES, one owner and all service performed at the selling dealership when it was purchased new it was traded in for a newer model!

The Lincoln LS is an icon and always will be cant be matched! I opted for a 2007 Lexus ES, one owner and all service performed at the selling dealership when it was purchased new it was traded in for a newer model!

OH NO...... Another FWD Camry!!

Members online

Back