Axle nut on back order from Ford, aftermarket alternatives?

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size it is? M20x1.5? Any recommendations on who would have one sitting on the shelf if it's an oddball?

Replacing the rear spindles and the axle nut is on national back-order from Ford. From every thread I can find the OEM axle nut basically destroys itself upon removal. I was also never a fan of reusing them considering they're torque'd to 300 ft/lbs and it's the only thing keeping the axle in place.

I've already gone through napa, autozone, advance, rockauto, etc, and the only thing they pull up with the search term 'nut' is lugnuts or variations of that like 'wheel nut'.

I know I can buy a new CV axle from advance (not a reman) and it includes the nut, but $80/side is a bit much for a $10 part from Ford if they had it. If you happen to have two new axle nuts laying around let me know, I'll be glad to buy them!

Thanks for any help!

If it's on back-order chances are it will NEVER be available. From my LS experience, back-order is the first step to discontinued.

Have you tried Jaguar? I would almost bet that one for an S-Type would fit.

I had problems finding one of these about 4 years ago. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm starting to seriously consider getting rid of the LS and stepping into something else. I'm $2K into parts between the front and rear suspension and still have to get an alignment, rear tires, and pay labor for whatever I don't do. Blah. Time for a drink.

Got any differential or axle rebuild shops in your area? They might be willing to sell you a pair of nuts for your rear end. Hur hur hur...

Refer to the service manual http://deneau.info/ls/ Group 05, Section 205-5. The part number is 4B423, name: Rear axle wheel hub retainer.

By the way, the torque shown is 300 Nm / 221 lb-ft.

Called a couple Ford dealers. None of them can get the part or can even order it from Ford. It's on national backorder. So hurry up and wait basically. Trying to see if Jaguar can get me one for a 2002 S-Type.

Does anyone know what size it is? M20x1.5? Any recommendations on who would have one sitting on the shelf if it's an oddball?

Replacing the rear spindles and the axle nut is on national back-order from Ford. From every thread I can find the OEM axle nut basically destroys itself upon removal. I was also never a fan of reusing them considering they're torque'd to 300 ft/lbs and it's the only thing keeping the axle in place.

I've already gone through napa, autozone, advance, rockauto, etc, and the only thing they pull up with the search term 'nut' is lugnuts or variations of that like 'wheel nut'.

I know I can buy a new CV axle from advance (not a reman) and it includes the nut, but $80/side is a bit much for a $10 part from Ford if they had it. If you happen to have two new axle nuts laying around let me know, I'll be glad to buy them!

Thanks for any help!

Is this what you seek?

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fus...74328&diagram=JT02540&Title=-HUB-RETAINER-NUT

The axle nut size is actually m24 x 2.0 its a 36 mm nut . Just went though this today for my ls. noone had the nut or specs but it is the same as a 99 mustang gts front axle nut . Autozone has it for 4.99. Just got one today. I did my rear drivers side wheel bearing and had to replace the nut.

Now that is awesome! Time to change my wheel bearings!

Although apparently I am going to have to drive across town to two different AutoZones in order to get a set. Fun Fun!

Although apparently I am going to have to drive across town to two different AutoZones in order to get a set. Fun Fun!

Considering this just went from a "discontinued forever" part to an "available for the next hundred years" part because it's used on the Mustang, I wouldn't complain.

you could also just sit at home and order them and let them show up with out having to drive at all!

Already got them. Sooner I get it done the less damage will be done to the rear tire.

According to this it's 303 ft/lb on the axle nut. Same manual you linked to, section 204-02, exploded view: http://www.deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=n0042092.gif~gen~ref.gif

Interesting. I checked my CD and the link you show has the same 410 NM but translated into 302 lb-Ft. Also notice that the part numbers for the nuts are different; the section you quote shows P/N 4B477, the one I referenced shows P/N 4B423. That seems to indicate that the torque may depend on which P/N nut is used.

Interesting. I checked my CD and the link you show has the same 410 NM but translated into 302 lb-Ft. Also notice that the part numbers for the nuts are different; the section you quote shows P/N 4B477, the one I referenced shows P/N 4B423. That seems to indicate that the torque may depend on which P/N nut is used.

Well if both manuals show 410 NM then that is in fact 302 ft/lbs. Perhaps the CD you have has a misprint which isn't uncommon. 1NM is around 0.737 Ft/Lbs and converts linearly. As far as the different axle nut maybe that's a gen1 vs gen2 superceeded part number? I hope. Otherwise I'm going to have to find Gen2 axle nuts.

Well if both manuals show 410 NM then that is in fact 302 ft/lbs. Perhaps the CD you have has a misprint which isn't uncommon. 1NM is around 0.737 Ft/Lbs and converts linearly. As far as the different axle nut maybe that's a gen1 vs gen2 superceeded part number? I hope. Otherwise I'm going to have to find Gen2 axle nuts.

1999 Ford Mustang GT front spindle nut confirmed to work correctly on Gen2 rear axles. It's nice to see the rear wheels standing up right and not slanting. Too bad it took $800 worth of control arms to do it. :(

Still got bearing noise, but I'm pretty sure that's the diff or center support bearing. Find out more once it comes back from alignment. Although I think I'd rather just convert to 8.8" diff and an aluminum 2-piece drive shaft.

Members online

Back