Miles on your LS

LMFAO @ all these cars which drove less than 10k a year avg. because you couldn't keep the damned things on the road!! Found On Road Dead!!

Really????? Or it's my wife's car and when we go somewhere together we take my car. In the 5 1/2 years we had my '06 we put 107K miles on it. I also put over 20K per year on my old 2000 LS. We bought her LS off the showroom floor just over 10 years ago and she has ~72K on hers. In the year that we've had it, we've also put around 20K on the 535i that replaced my LS...

The LS is like the human body. As my doctor says "Use it or lose it". It doesn't matter how much you drive it or don't drive it. Things are going to get old and need replacing just due to time. So, the best you can do is use it as much as you can while the parts are still able to do the job.

^ this... time is not kind to most cars... this one is no different.

The LS is like the human body. As my doctor says "Use it or lose it". It doesn't matter how much you drive it or don't drive it. Things are going to get old and need replacing just due to time. So, the best you can do is use it as much as you can while the parts are still able to do the job.

Understood and agreed. Lucky for me the LS I bought had less rust on it than brand new cars sitting on the lot. It was babied and garaged it's whole life..... Makes me feel a little bad when I have to drive it in the rain. The parts still have a half-life for sure, I'd bet the cars that were treated like mine are a little bit 'ahead' of the curve though.

286K, finally got a winter beater 2007 Wrx, now my baby can spend most of the winter up high on the lift.

The parts still have a half-life for sure, I'd bet the cars that were treated like mine are a little bit 'ahead' of the curve though.

I dont know, we see a lot of super low mile cars that were babied by a little old lady still having the same failures as everybody else.

2000 LS V8 has 267k on the majority of the car. Just had a brand new engine put in after it jumped timing and burnt the #4 valve. Just over 5k with the new engine.

I Just bought a 2002 LS V8 with 115k miles on it and gave it to my mom. Runs like a champ!

I dont know, we see a lot of super low mile cars that were babied by a little old lady still having the same failures as everybody else.

Honestly not trying to start any sort of internet squabble and I do appreciate the issues that are illustrated on the forum(s).

All vehicles have issues: my wife's Durango had a head failure before 36k. I'm just surprised at the 'bad rap' the LS's are receiving, especially on an enthusiast forum. What you don't hear a lot of the time are all the LS's out there that don't have big issues. Nine times out of ten (probably a pretty conservative statistic), people only talk about the issues they have.

Thanks to others who have been posting some their experiences that illuminate the flip side.

I tend to agree with that. A 85 year old woman traded my 2004 V8 Sport in after 10 years and only 23K miles. I have added 24K miles in the last two years and still the typical things have gone bad, like the; factory rims with corroded beams that will not seal causing slow air leaks, DCCV failure, the torn bushings on the rear lateral toe control links, the second battery's slow death, the ignition coils starting to misfire, the emergency brake module's occasionally hiccups, the front sway bar mount bushing deteriorated...

I tend to agree with that. A 85 year old woman traded my 2004 V8 Sport in after 12 years and only 23K miles. I have added 24K miles in the last two years and still the typical things have gone bad, like the; factory rims with corroded beams that will not seal causing slow air leaks, DCCV failure, the torn bushings on the rear lateral toe control links, the second battery's slow death, the ignition coils starting to misfire, the emergency brake module's occasionally hiccups, the front sway bar mount bushing deteriorated...

Sounds like that vehicle wasn't garaged much if at all during its life, or not properly cleaned/maintained. Should be able to fix up the corroded rims fairly easily. I had the same thing happen on my Tacoma and Frontier.

The "bad rap" that the LS has received is due to two key issues;

The first involves the ignition coils. The key here is that the dealerships typically only replace the unit(s) that are misfiring. This is a short sided approach based on warranty parts cost. For a the DYI'er or if the work is performed at an independent repair shop, here is the smarter approach - once you have access to the coils, replace all the spark plugs and coils at once. This costs more up front for the parts, but it avoids multiple visits and labor repair costs.

The second involves a design deficiency with the transmission that results in near 100% failure rate. This is the exclusion of hardened inserts in the 5R55N/W/S transmission case for both the OD and intermediate servo pin shafts. Make sure that the replacement transmission is truly re-manufactured with the installation of a servo bore sleeve kit and not just a simple rebuilt unit.

No, the car was stored inside during the winters while they wintered in parts warmer. All the maintenance was done at the dealership - including demounting the tires, cleaning the rims and remounting/balancing the tires. The real issue was that the 10 year old factory tires on factory rims without an inner protective coating with trapped moisture. The bead surface area is now badly pitted and can't be sealed properly even with the application of black rubberized tire bead sealer. Time for a new set of summer rims.

The "bad rap" that the LS has received is due to two key issues;

The first involves the ignition coils. The key here is that the dealerships typically only replace the unit(s) that are misfiring. This is a short sided approach based on warranty parts cost. For a the DYI'er or if the work is performed at an independent repair shop, here is the smarter approach - once you have access to the coils, replace all the spark plugs and coils at once. This costs more up front for the parts, but it avoids multiple visits and labor repair costs.

The second involves a design deficiency with the transmission that results in near 100% failure rate. This is the exclusion of hardened inserts in the 5R55N/W/S transmission case for both the OD and intermediate servo pin shafts. Make sure that the replacement transmission is truly re-manufactured with the installation of a servo bore sleeve kit and not just a simple rebuilt unit.

Don't know about that.. My daughter still drives my old 2000 V6 at 190K+ miles with just a solenoid pack replacement and regular fluid flushes, we had a 2001 V6 that we traded in with about 70K miles that we did nothing to, I had an '06 that had about 140K miles when I sold it that I just had a fluid flush and my wife's '06 that has about 72K miles that may or may not, I don't remember, have had a fluid flush.

I would say the cooling system parts need replacing, but those plastic parts are at least 10 years old now and due.

Were repair parts still in abundance I would still be driving the '06 that I sold!!

04 V8 71k bought it with 35k 3years ago. Flushed tranny when I got it, replaced the battery and coil packs and plugs. Drive it every day. And I will keep driving it until it costs too much to keep. I really like the car but do to its reputation I have considered selling it but right now its cheep fun transportation, and not that bad to work on, maybe owning an Audi has made me realize car problems could be much worse!!

'03 v8, 108k
if i hadnt had my past two girlfriends i'd prolly be at 90k. :p
hit the 100k late last year.

Haven't driven it for a while, but its at 247k. Should break the 250 mark in a month and a half. Keep on keepin' on!

Members online

Back