What did you do to your LS today?

What did you use? Better performance?

I have the Base Audio so speaker selection is easy - choose affordable. The LF speaker was weak and the RF was crackly. I replaced the RF with an OEM new for $25.86 and replaced the LF with one from the Rear. I then replaced the rears with Scosche HD57683's. It's acceptable sound, I mean, for the Base Audio and all. In retrospect, I should have reversed what I did as the OEM Fronts seems much louder.

They tried putting me in a corolla. But deck that sh!t......here are your pics

You knew you couldn't be put in the Corolla! Well ... maybe but not let us know about it. :)

97 Maxima - got the two upstream heated oxygen sensors in late last night. The difficult one Bank 2 gave us some trouble coming out. Torched it but ended up with some threads missing. No biggie as the correct size thread maker was handy. Turned out it was just a couple of burs that needed to be cleaned out. New unit turned in nicely and tightened up as required. Running some Cataclean through the tank while resetting. Should be good next week to go for emissions testing. If not it's getting a stick of Dynamite or a Derby entry! :(

04 LSE - Got the pesky P0430 DTC again. Reset with the OBDII code reader. Had read somewhere to get on the highway and put it on cruise control, sure enough it completed the Catalyst state promptly in same drive cycle. EVAP remained not ready however around here we are only required to have 6 out of the 7 states in READY mode. Off to a local shop that does immediate walk in E-testing. 15 minutes later, SUCCESS ... off to the registration MTO office and got it fully registered and plated for the year. Phew! Fn thing!

04 LSE - Next week Monday, Re&Re Rear Upper Control Arms, Toe adjust and Sway bar end linkages. Week there after onto the exhaust hopefully. (fingers crossed)

~ putting in the new battery and adding the flat smoked plate covers now.

I have the Base Audio so speaker selection is easy - choose affordable. The LF speaker was weak and the RF was crackly. I replaced the RF with an OEM new for $25.86 and replaced the LF with one from the Rear. I then replaced the rears with Scosche HD57683's. It's acceptable sound, I mean, for the Base Audio and all. In retrospect, I should have reversed what I did as the OEM Fronts seems much louder.

Upon further review, I have concluded that the Scosche HD57683 Speaker is complete crap for the Base Audio system. I'll be replacing them with OEM. It was only a $22 lesson.

Upon further review, I have concluded that the Scosche HD57683 Speaker is complete crap for the Base Audio system. I'll be replacing them with OEM. It was only a $22 lesson.

Consider Polk Audio instead. Not much more than OEM, if you can even find OEM, sounds way better. They are excellent speakers for a lower middle price point.

Consider Polk Audio instead. Not much more than OEM, if you can even find OEM, sounds way better. They are excellent speakers for a lower middle price point.

The OEM Speakers have great sound and as I really need just one more (of the two I removed, one is fine), I ordered it from FordParts.com. It will be delivered to my local Ford dealer - $25.86.

I like paper cones and foam surrounds as much as the next guy but...

hey man, don't talk about Bose that way...

actually, go ahead. Talk about Bose that way!

... Im waiting to hear "my push lawn mover cuts just fine" ...

vintage-reel-type-push-lawn-mower-coldwell-ambassador-667914667c63aecb57e42df69921aa07.jpg

:p

Nothing wrong with liking what you like my friend

vintage-reel-type-push-lawn-mower-coldwell-ambassador-667914667c63aecb57e42df69921aa07.jpg

I like paper cones and foam surrounds as much as the next guy but...

Well, the Scosche HD57683 Speakers, with the same (or better) specifications as OEM and plastic cones, were total crap. There was nothing 'HD' about them.

Today

Thinking about running a no puddle offense. No mirror puddle anyway. Never much cared for how the light shines mostly on the door.

No puddle.jpg

hey man, don't talk about Bose that way...

actually, go ahead. Talk about Bose that way!

My Bose 301 home speakers are still rippin (in a good way) 10 years later... but I didn't actually pick them, nor do I know anything about home audio (yet, I need a home of my own first)

Well, the Scosche HD57683 Speakers, with the same (or better) specifications as OEM and plastic cones, were total crap. There was nothing 'HD' about them.

We just have differing opinions. If you're happy with them, then good for you. My feeling is if I'm going through the trouble of taking things apart, then something better, if possible, is going back in. For $50/pair, I'd rather just spend 2-3 times that and be done with it, future-proofing in a way. When the deck speakers blew in my Taurus, I replaced the paper cones with 2-way Infinitys (~$100 I think). The sound quality difference is vastly different if you move your head from the front seat to the back. If it wasn't for the stock component setup in the front doors, I would have taken everything apart and swapped them.

I think the Scosche should have raised several flags that they were crap before you bought them. All of the reviews are either negative or have "for the price" or "get you by with a blown speaker" in their comments. I'm really not going to trust $35/pair speakers as far as I can throw them for any kind of quality or durability. I feel that their product number also tells a story, one that says "we only make generic things with little improvement, so lets throw in the 5x7/6x8 size designation in the PN to beef up the appearance of iteration 3". Let's not even get into how often BS marketing grabs "HD" out of thin air as a cheap marketing ploy.

Implying plastic cones are crap because you found a cheap set to be inferior to a paper product is like saying iPhone is better than Android because one time you tried using an HTC Wildfire

screen-shot-2011-02-08-at-8-08-18-pm110209011014.jpg

If you only plan on keeping everything stock and don't plan on having the car for more than a few more years, then yes, the OEM paper is probably your best choice. A lot of complaints about aftermarket speakers, particularly reduction in volume and bass, is that the new speakers simply draw more power. They have heavier but more durable cones, thicker surrounds, and when you go from a 1-way to a 2- or 3-way speaker, you're taking power from the main woofer to power the tweeters.

But for me? Well I haven't hit a point in any of my cars where I've said "that is enough". Piece by piece, I build things up.

Thinking about running a no puddle offense. No mirror puddle anyway. Never much cared for how the light shines mostly on the door.

I've been thinking about putting puddle lights underneath like that and using the mirror for a projector puddle light with a logo. I just feel like those underbody lights never throw the light out far enough. I don't normally stuck my entire foot under the car, but I often walk up from the side. Maybe I focus on the hotspots too much and ignore the rest of the usable light. How do you like them?

I love the underbody lights, but I did them strictly as a cosmetic mod. As far as usefulness, I don't think the mirror puddle is any more or less useful than these. I also had an idea of turning the mirrors into logo projectors. Still want to try it later, but for now I abandoned it in favor of having them under the doors.

DSC02708.jpg

ghost.jpg

I love the underbody lights, but I did them strictly as a cosmetic mod. As far as usefulness, I don't think the mirror puddle is any more or less useful than these. I also had an idea of turning the mirrors into logo projectors. Still want to try it later, but for now I abandoned it in favor of having them under the doors.

I don't know about the LS, but I know my dad's 04 Taurus' puddle lights in the mirror help you see whats next to the car. I'm not too worried because I'd set up high powered LEDs anyway. Maybe I'll just have to put both in the mirror. I like how BMW and Audi put LEDs under each door handle, but I doubt I'd be able to get that to work reliably

My Bose 301 home speakers are still rippin (in a good way) 10 years later... but I didn't actually pick them, nor do I know anything about home audio (yet, I need a home of my own first)

while Bose does offer decent sound (at best), the problem is what you get for your money, for the same price (as they would cost new) you would be able to buy much much better sounding speakers. their value is terrible and their speakers should really cost about 1/4 of what they do. they really take a different approach to engineering, most companies will spend their R&D in perfecting their drivers, but instead Bose spends an insane amount of R&D in the tuning of the enclosure, its actually pretty amazing how good of sound they do get out of such average drivers. if they would spend half of their R&D budget on the drivers themselves they probably could be some of the best. but instead of having high quality speakers, they like to play games and attempt to trick your ears. our ears do not hear every tone equally, by design(or development) we hear much better in the same ranges that our voices operate at, bose tunes their speakers to those freqs louder than others, also since they tend to use much smaller drivers that cant reproduce very low freqs, they tune to higher harmonics of those lower bass freqs. this causes their noise to sound peaky and muddy with most music (but sounds great for vocals). they also have very weak highs that tend to leave music flat and lifeless.

they dont say "no highs, no lows, must be bose" for no reason

I think the Scosche should have raised several flags that they were crap before you bought them

absolutely! first clue, their price. second clue, if you can buy them at wally world, they are definitely no good

Implying plastic cones are crap because you found a cheap set to be inferior to a paper product is like saying iPhone is better than Android because one time you tried using an HTC Wildfire
problem with cheap speakers is that they use cheap thin plastic, the cheap thin plastic doesn't have the mass to deliver good bass, and their plastic tweeters have little to no detail and tend to sound extremely harsh. also most of the time when you see a three way (or more) speaker they are trying to make up for using inferior materials with more drivers. thats why most great components are almost always just two way speakers with very good quality materials.

Started researching 2006+ Jaguar S-type R's to replace the LS...i'm getting a pretty big itch for something different

I guess I should have clarified 'Well, the Scosche HD57683 Speakers, with the same (or better) specifications as OEM and plastic cones, were total crap in my '02 LS with Base Audio'.

damnit I hate your color... :p

really makes me wish I would use the cans I have had for two years to test it out in person...

Found wood option steering wheel, center armrest and wood shifter knob in wrecking yard. Had to recolor the armrest and steering wheel dark charcoal. Lokks awesome. Any quest. about recoloring, let me know.

Hi,some minuts ago!

We installed the transmission.

*The car didn't start, dead battery.
After charging the batt it starts ok.

*The dash did not show correct gear
Loosen shift cable

**now it shifts better than before, no slip or rev up.

best regards!

I do plan on getting the whole spray kit, I just got a couple of cans to hit the wheels up and try out the color before buying gallons of it! I would never try to do a whole car in cans :rolleyes:

So what are the details on the non-passive steering JAG aftermarket sourced from the UK links?

Want all my secrets do ya? :p

Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-S-TY...ash=item20ce731af0:g:voMAAOSwnDxUhvdU&vxp=mtr

and here: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XR825750P <-- $45.10 USD per unit.

Ended up getting them from Rimmer Bros as the price was a little cheaper and the first eBay guy after a few days was not interested in replying to my international shipping charges inquiry request.

A little bit for shipping and Canadian Duty collected at delivery by UPS. Rimmer Bros collected the VAT charges on check out. (or I think were included in the price)

BTW: The welds and boots are identical to the previously available black DEEZA links, I took notice of this by detailing the entire links in pics before ordering plus comparing to my DEEZA links in my 01. The welds are identical and in the same spots. To me the only thing different is one got black paint the other did not. Same DEEZA links, EURO market. I'd be willing to bet on.

EDIT - - -

To my surprise, from the UK, they were at my door just after a week. Not bad for "from-oversea's". Actually arrive to Canada before the Tasca OEM's did.

UPDATE:

I just finished installing these formentioned JAG aftermarket rear toe adjust links from RimmerBros UK late last night, along with OEM Upper Control Arms and MOOG Sway bar end links. The JAG aftermarket XR825750 links are not clearly branded but they appear to me as DEEZA's. Structure and welding is identical.

The only snag we ran into was at the wheel side end, the long bold which fastens to the knuckle at the spindle, the hole on the linkage, needed to be filed out with a round file so the long bold would pass through without having to beat it in with a hammer. Seems the inside of that pivot has some build up ribs. Each link just needed a few minutes of filing to make the long bolt pass through freely.

4 wheel alignment pending. We red-necked the rear wheels with the ol' tape measure trick.

Members online

No members online now.
Back