Newer Gen 2 Owner With a Few Odd Issues

donniej

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
A few months ago I bought a '97 LSC with 88K on the clock. I've resolved most of it's issues (after lots of searching), but still have the following issues...

Code P1000 (readiness code) won't go away. The CEL is off but this code remains. A code shows up occasionally for the secondary throttle plates but I've checked and they are opening at 3,000 RPM's (I can feel the cables pull them open). The car also runs great at all RPM ranges.

Most importantly, the engine will occasionally die, like someone hit a kill switch. It has done this three times, twice while making a slow, hard right turn and once while driving down the highway (it died for a moment and came right back on). The last time was one of the times making a hard right turn, the engine was still cold and it was freezing out. This time the car would not re-start until the next day. While it would not start there were no additional codes and I could not hear the fuel pump running. The next day when I turned the key I could hear the fuel pump and it started right up. I then tried to reproduce the problem but the car would not die, no matter how bumpy a road or how sharply I tried to turn.

To resolve the issue I plan to replace the fuel pump, cam sensor and crankshaft sensor. I also have an extra MAF sensor and will check the wiring when I drop the gas tank.

What else should I be checking for the engine dying? What could be keeping the computer in "P1000"?

Thank you.

Sounds like typical crank sensor symptoms to me. Easy enough to do, move the AC compressor out of the way and have at it.

Thanks Mike,
Will a failing crank sensor cause the fuel pump to not prime the system?
And wouldn't it throw a code?

The P1000 is a standard protocol for fords when the codes are cleared. It will eventually go away, it may take several weeks. Ignore it and move on.

When the pump in my 97 was getting ready to go out, it did the same thing stalling while doing a hard slow turn such as into a parking space. I replaced it with an SVT Focus pump and never had another stalling problem. I am not saying this is your issue, but it was mine.

Yes p1000 is standard. I would make sure your vclm isn't going bad. On my gen 1 my module (controls both the fan and fuel pump) started going bad. It would in the morning ,when leaving my drive way making a right turn to get on the road, would die for a second and come back on. The acceleration would completely go way for a few seconds or a second. I replaced the relay and it's been fine ever since. This was about 3- 4 years ago so it wasn't a failing pump either. The electricals all remained fine while it had its hiccup.

It only occurred in the morning once and then would be fine for the rest of the day. I think it started getting worse (more occasionally occurring every start cycle) but again it was a long time ago so i can't state everything.

Check fuel pressure at the rail

There was none.
I just replaced the pump with one from a Lincoln Aviator. It was aftermarket and had a different plug but came with an adapter. I ended up soldering the new plug on but otherwise it was a direct swap, only the plug had to be modified.

There were two wires to the pump, they were...
White with red stripe = negative
Black with yellow(?) stripe = positive

It basically took all weekend. Hopefully that was the issue.

I believe so but since I don't drive much it will take another week or two to tell for sure.
It was an intermittent issue anyway, but has not cut out since the (very recent) replacement.
Thank you for asking.

Members online

No members online now.
Back