2003 lincoln ls hanger barring swap

devosm

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Lincoln ls and the hanger barring for the drive shaft is gone I have a parts 2002 I was wondering if I could swap the whole drive shaft out hanger barring and all?
Not sure if it will fit on and how hard of a process it would be. A new barring is $250 with tax

Do you mean bearing? (Really, just trying to understand.)

Edit: Must not be the center bearing, because that is just $36 new. (The bracket that holds it is $102.)

Anyway, it looks like the drive shaft and related parts are all the same for 2000 to 2006 LS.

Do you mean bearing? (Really, just trying to understand.)

Edit: Must not be the center bearing, because that is just $36 new. (The bracket that holds it is $102.)

Anyway, it looks like the drive shaft and related parts are all the same for 2000 to 2006 LS.

My carrier bearing was $200 from the stealership..lol. Gonna put it on a swap driveshaft because the Ujoints are also bad...got the thunk and thud sounds going on.

My carrier bearing was $200 from the stealership..lol. Gonna put it on a swap driveshaft because the Ujoints are also bad...got the thunk and thud sounds going on.

Do you get this sound when shifting into park? If so, that could explain the noise I'm hearing.

Sorry yes it's the carrier bearing. I have a parts car and the whole daft is good so I wanna make sure it'll fit before I rip it off lol and the car goes it to park normal with no sounds but it has a thud on acceleration

If you do swap the prop shafts be sure to bark the bolt locations. If not, you could end up with a balance issue.

I normally don't get the thud when shifting into park. There is a lurch when going into drive..but it is still pretty smooth. The thud and noise comes when I accelerate or move backward or forward. You can tell that the joint is bad because it pops before moving from a standstill..and when changing gears from slow movement. The existing carrier bearing on the car has almost no rubber surround left on it..so I am pretty sure that I got the right parts. It just takes labor to remove the heat shields and as LS4me said...it has to be put back in the exact way or the bolts will cause you to have serious shaking if it is not balanced correctly. Waiting on a shop that I feel comfortable with.

Pretty sure I have a carrier bearing problem. I've been driving with it for a few months now.

How urgent should this be on my priorities? Really just want to sell or trade in, debating on if the repair would be worth it.

maybe my hound dog could help with that! lol j/k

Sure..... Wait until I can't correct it!! :eek::lol::lol:

It's well known that after replacing the cooling system parts, coils and plugs barking at the car is recommended to keep everything else in line! ;)

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm still living with the thud, hopefully not damaging anything else. A friend with the same symptoms brought it to a dealer who replaced the differential for $1,100. Hoping that's not the case here. Wish I had time to bring it in.

Stugots,did you get the car up on jackstands yet? Looked at the rear to see if it has up/down play or twisting play? I have had NO experience with an LS carrier bearing, but differential could have bad pinion bearing.
Best,of course is to have someone you know and trust put it up on a lift and check it out. don-ohio :)^)

Members online

No members online now.
Back