What did you do to your LS today?

Just traded in my '04 LS Ultimate 3.9 V8. 11 years old and 130,000 miles. It needed a lot of suspension work such as new bushings. More than I wanted to put into it.

Because I enjoyed my LS so much, I bought a 2013 Lincoln MKZ with the 3.7 V6 - 300hp. On paper a carbon copy of the LS but with modern style technology.

I did spend some quality time upgrading the software on the Sync system and learning some of the commands. Being a consultant for a software company, I really like the Sync system. I "get it".

Just traded in my '04 LS Ultimate 3.9 V8. 11 years old and 130,000 miles. It needed a lot of suspension work such as new bushings. More than I wanted to put into it.

Because I enjoyed my LS so much, I bought a 2013 Lincoln MKZ with the 3.7 V6 - 300hp. On paper a carbon copy of the LS but with modern style technology.

I did spend some quality time upgrading the software on the Sync system and learning some of the commands. Being a consultant for a software company, I really like the Sync system. I "get it".

Don't know what paper you're looking at, but the only thing the "Z" has in common with the LS is the Lincoln logo. THE "Z" is a Fusion under the skin...

I treated my 02 to an early oil change, state inspection, and a wash. I also ordered a memory foam cushion so the seat won't hurt my ass when I drive it LOL

Don't know what paper you're looking at, but the only thing the "Z" has in common with the LS is the Lincoln logo. THE "Z" is a Fusion under the skin...
Yeah, I can't compare a car with the engine turned the wrong way to a car with a correctly mounted engine with rear wheel drive. I just did the front suspension on my 2000, hopefully there will be a proper Ford/Lincoln rwd replacement by the time the ls needs something major.

I am hoping what he meant by the "on paper" comment was that they are both midsize entry level luxury cars. anything else....nah

...2013 Lincoln MKZ with the 3.7 V6 - 300hp. On paper a carbon copy of the LS but with modern style technology...

There's not much in common between the two other than they both have four wheels.
The LS is a great car to be a driver in. The MKZ is a car to be a passenger in...

.... hopefully there will be a proper Ford/Lincoln rwd replacement by the time the ls needs something major.

Don't hold your breath. Lincoln is firmly committed to the Chinese market; as demonstrated by the Continental concept.

There's not much in common between the two other than they both have four wheels.
The LS is a great car to be a driver in. The MKZ is a car to be a passenger in...

Look at the track, wheelbase, length, interior cubic space etc. and the similarities are there. I find the MKZ to be a good driver's car; handles well, good acceleration, quiet, good looking. What has been your experience driving an MKZ?

Don't hold your breath. Lincoln is firmly committed to the Chinese market; as demonstrated by the Continental concept.
Yeah,I know, I bought a 2005 s-type this summer but not driving it until next year, after that I might be after a bmw 5 series, they seem to understand drivers still.

True and the LS is a T-Bird/S-Type under the skin.

No... The T-Bird is an LS under the skin and the LS is an S-Type underneath. The S-Type/LS came out at the same time, the 'Bird was a response to the retro craze. There is virtually nothing in common between the LS and anything else Ford makes. My mechanic refers to my LS as my Jaguar!!

Yeah,I know, I bought a 2005 s-type this summer but not driving it until next year, after that I might be after a bmw 5 series, they seem to understand drivers still.

I'm enjoying my '12 535i very much. More power than the LS and much better MPG (I average ~31.5 freeway mpg consistently with the cruise on 75ish). I wish I had held out for the M-Sport, but I was ignorant of the true benefits. That's OK, I will correct that oversight next time!!

No... The T-Bird is an LS under the skin and the LS is an S-Type underneath. The S-Type/LS came out at the same time, the 'Bird was a response to the retro craze. There is virtually nothing in common between the LS and anything else Ford makes. My mechanic refers to my LS as my Jaguar!!
Yep, it was going to be the new mustang in 2005 but just too much aluminum made it too expensive [emoji1]

oh lord, now people are thinking that a mazda 6... opps, im sorry a MXZ is the same thing as an LS... what is this world coming to?

I dont care if you look on paper, in the CAD drawings or just the two offices of the two different designers that came up with either, other than the cars being almost the same size, they are nothing alike. I can also base this off of the two MKZs my family has owned (both generations) and the Z drives like sh!t, torque steers like sh!t, under steers like sh!t, and looks like sh!t. nothing appealing about it at all!

I guess if the rest of your life is so intense and exciting that you need a lot of boring added in your life, or if your choosing a car for your wife because she doesn't give a damn about vehicle dynamics and just needs something to drive kids around in... then it is the perfect car.

FWD+sucks.jpg

FWD+sucks.jpg

Lincoln nameplate and "prestige". Drives like a normal car. Has normal creature comforts.

The LS and MKZ are pretty similar to people who aren't into driving near their car's limits.

I ended up preemptively going after this failure today

I'm slow moving, but I just checked out the AT switch mounts. They were already cracking, as it turns out. Today's cocktail is JB and zips (I figured the zip ties would give more compression strength than epoxy)

2015-12-28 18.10.48.jpg

Also, the bottom of my cupholder is gross.

2015-12-28 18.10.48.jpg

I'm slow moving, but I just checked out the AT switch mounts. They were already cracking, as it turns out. Today's cocktail is JB and zips (I figured the zip ties would give more compression strength than epoxy)

that should hold real good! good thing you checked it out, its always nice to catch something like that BEFORE it breaks!

did you check you parking brake switch too?

EDIT: nevermind, I see you have a 1st gen...

Pro Tip for anybody else that has an LS, even if you message center buttons, AT/TC button, or parking brake switch inst broke, you should probably take them all apart and check them out and have a look and make the above repairs before your break, I'm pretty sure they used the same brittle ass plastic on the interior as they used in the cooling system!

that should hold real good! good thing you checked it out, its always nice to catch something like that BEFORE it breaks!

Yep, I hope so. Thanks for the tip before. I might not have noticed the cracking had you not said anything. It seems like JB Kwik doesn't adhere well to plastic, though. I think it was necessary for the Message Center buttons since I was bonding with metal, but this probably could be better with proper plastic epoxy. That being said, I have a lot of faith in the ziptie holding the cylinder together and the JB holding the ziptie in place

t
did you check you parking brake switch too?

The bolts and metal plates looked fine to me :)

Had a strange experience today.

Was going through a deepish snow drift. Had momentum so I didn't bother turning traction control off. I was about half throttle (with traction control activating) and the car stalled.

It started back up fine, but I was very stuck.. Anyway, not sure what caused the stalling. It has never stalled since I owned it. The snow was deep, but not enough to where it would affect something.

I caught up on my gas log today. Since I bought the LS I have put 14,698.9 miles on him. Gone through 889.66 gallons of gas. Spent $2405.88 on said gas. My overall MPG for this time frame 10/01/2014 to 12/30/2015 is 16.52.

I caught up on my gas log today. Since I bought the LS I have put 14,698.9 miles on him. Gone through 889.66 gallons of gas. Spent $2405.88 on said gas. My overall MPG for this time frame 10/01/2014 to 12/30/2015 is 16.52.
I thought I was the only one that did this, my numbers for my 2000 v8 are:
9670 miles
511.8379 gallons
$1452.65 spent with an average mileage of 18.89 (3000 of these miles were the trip from California to ny to bring it home so my mileage is higher than it will be). 15 cents a mile for gas, 19 cents a mile for purchase and 29 cents for maintenance (lots wrong with it when I bought it which explains the 1800 price tag)

Members online

No members online now.
Back