Help with DSP Commander?

Thx_1138a

LVC Member
Reaction score
My "New To Me" '94 Mark VIII has a corded remote for a DSP Commander (p/n: E2LF-18C831-AA).

Can anyone shed some light on this unit? Does anyone have a manual for it?

From the tiny bit of info found on the web it's a factory add-on to the sound system. It's a Digital Sound Processor that does what an EQ on a home system does (ads reverb, echo, etc). There are two parts : the remote and the control unit. The control box is mounted with the JBL amp under the package shelf and connects between the head unit and the amp.

Right now, mine does not light up at all and it may be interferring with the stereo. The stereo volume is VERY low - it has to be at 50% before I can hear anything and at 100% I can still easily talk over it.

I'm going to try plugging the head unit directly into the amp and see what effect that has.... update to follow.

Jim
DSCN3899.jpgDSCN3902.jpg

DSCN3902.jpg

DSCN3899.jpg

I found another new-in-box DSP unit on ebay right after posting this. It seems the installed unit has a short in the cable for the wired remote. I plugged the new remote into the installed controller and it worked !!! Perfectly doesn't begin to cover it. I could hear a difference in the sound from the trunk!!

I will scan and post the installation and operation manuals as soon as I get a chance. The install manual I received includes instructions for the Mark 7 & 8

This unit was released late in '92 and was a dealer installed option.

There is another DSP unit on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4B-BRAND-NEW-1992-MARK-VII-THUNDERBIRD-COUGAR-DIGITAL-SIGNAL-PROCESSER-DSP-KIT-/221576768790?hash=item3397012d16:g:eek:FgAAOSwU9xUPqFu&vxp=mtr

Interesting, glad you got one working and documented it, I had never seen such a thing...Well, I think I might have but thought it was the cell phone module, but then I saw a cell phone module and it was nothing like the other one.

I have not seen that device installed on any Mark VIII's on this site. Curious to know what that talk button is for. Is that tied-in to the original obsolete analog factory cell phone system - maybe used to mute the sound when on the phone?

Jim,
Ironically, your user name is also associated with the phone.
THX-1138 acronym was from George Lucas' phone number back in '63-'67 : (213) THXor849-1138.

Members online

No members online now.
Back