200 continental no start

marc1961

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2000 continental it
Wont start no fuel pressure at the schrader valve
Changed fuel pump
Then changed fuel pump driver module,still pump will only turn about a quarter turn
Wont spin the pump will pump if you run a ground to the black wire on the pump itself
How might I solve this problem?
Thanks

Last edited:
Changed fuel pump
Then changed fuel pump driver module,still pump will only turn about a quarter turn
Wont spin the pump will pump if you run a ground to the black wire on the pump itself
Thanks

have you checked the the fuel pump shut off switch located on the drivers side center door pillar near the bottom of the door jam pillar ? just thinking here.

The computer won't trigger the fuel pump if it isn't getting a signal from the crank sensor. It's a cheap part (available at AutoZone) and easy to swap out. It's a simple magnetic sensor so there's no benefit in paying more for a factory part.

hello
did not think of the crank sensor!
I did pour a small amount of fuel directly into the air duct work in the engine and the car did
start right up and died again quickly.
so it would be a good idea to change out the crankshaft position sensor with a new one
is there a reliable test for a crankshaft sensor on a 2000 continental?
thanks again for your much needed help....marc
/

I'm not sure if there's a way to test it. It should cost under $20 and it's held in with one bolt so it's worth doing just to see. It's behind the passenger front tire and can be reached without lifting the car off the ground.

Changed fuel pump
Thanks

How is your ground?

You said the pump will only turn about a quarter of a turn. What did you mean by that? It sounds like you have the pump out and are trying to test it dry. The pump has to be submerged in gasoline or there is no lubricant and it will seize.

You said the pump will only turn about a quarter of a turn. What did you mean by that? It sounds like you have the pump out and are trying to test it dry. The pump has to be submerged in gasoline or there is no lubricant and it will seize.

The pump should turn for a second or two to build pressure
Mine just trys to turn just a part of a revolution took the pump back out of the tank and plugged it back up and set it in a two gallons of gas to hear the pump try to spin. Put a fuel gauge on the pump and it would only showed pressure when I ran a ground to the black wire on the pump it had all kinds of pressure.
did not try to run it dry

Hi
Swapped out the crankshaft sensor($39)
Did not help at all
New pump,pump driver module and crankshaft sensor to no avail!!

Hi
Replaced the crank sensor($39 autozone)
That was not the answer to the problem
Perhaps it is terminal!

Yeah it is still depressed did not pop up
Have power to the pump.,thanks
I have now swapped out the crankshaft sensor
Did not help

You asked in the other post where the fuel pressure sensor was. It is on the fuel rail.

There is only one fuel line in this system. There is no return line. Fuel pressure is controlled by the Fuel Pump Control Module. It monitors the pressure via the fuel pressure sensor. The fuel pump is cycled on and off to maintain the correct pressure. You should have about 30 lbs at the schrader valve. How is your fuel filter?
If your filter is good and you have 12 volts at the pump and don't have enough pressure at the rail then I would say your pump is bad.

There's no real way to test the fuel pump control module either. It's mounted to the back of the rear seat. I have no idea what they cost or where to grab one though.

OTOH, there's a 2000 Conti (same color as mine) with 50k miles on my local Craigslist asking $4500...

You asked in the other post where the fuel pressure sensor was. It is on the fuel rail.

There is only one fuel line in this system. There is no return line. Fuel pressure is controlled by the Fuel Pump Control Module. It monitors the pressure via the fuel pressure sensor. The fuel pump is cycled on and off to maintain the correct pressure. You should have about 30 lbs at the schrader valve. How is your fuel filter?
If your filter is good and you have 12 volts at the pump and don't have enough pressure at the rail then I would say your pump is bad.

Changed the fuel filter the same time I changed the pump,then I swapped out the pump driver module
After I jumpered to pair of the pins that go to the module and got the pump to run,I was told after jumpering these pins and the pump runs then the module was bad,new one did not help!! Thanks for your time on my problem it is appreciated

Members online

No members online now.
Back