GEN1 LS1 SWAP Lincoln Ls

if I was going for maximum power, probably so.

but instant and liner power are just a beautiful thing on a street driven machine. something also has to be said for it being a lot simpler of a system.

I'm really surprised that Jag hasn't started using TVS like most manufactures.

The 5.0L Jaguar (AJ-133) uses Eaton TVS front fed supercharger. It wont easily fit on the older AJ-V* blocks. (I purchased a couple of used ones for a fit check.) The AJ-V8 block sucks from the perspective that the heads have water outlet ears protruding into the front of the valley. (Along with the water pump inlet casting) Only the stock Eaton or KB rear fed supercharger’s snout fit between the head’s water ports. To fit a front fed supercharger, one has to cut off the ears on the head, and use an electric water pump in order to free up room for the inlet duct and SC snout. (The attached image shows the Supercharger I will attempt to fit to my 4.8L bored out block in 2016.) You can raise the SC above the engine to fit, but then you have to put a hole in your hood for clearance.

4.2 WATERPORTS.jpg

20151024_221503[1].jpg

if I was going for maximum power, probably so.

but instant and liner power are just a beautiful thing on a street driven machine. something also has to be said for it being a lot simpler of a system.

I agree. I am after 600 to 700 reliable and streetable hp. If the car can also accelerate to 150+ in a mile, that would be good too.

KS. I read that you were planning on using a 4.0 block. That is probably the worst block of all the AJ-V8 engines. In the late model V8s, besides adding the sleeves, they changed the block alloy, increased the internal water flow channels and on some blocks added more external webbing and made the wall thickness on the outside of the cylinder a bit thicker.

Joe, I have a race block available. When I go 'all the way' I'll use it but it requires the use of a dry-sump and engine plate-style mounting and although I have all the AJ-specific parts, installing the DS requires a great deal of plumbing.

150+ in a mile is very available. In order to set the E/F CC record in ECTA racing, I installed an NX system that has a nominal capacity to add 400 HP. I also installed a stand-alone methanol delivery to go with it. All out it can probably deliver real-world 450-500 HP. But the internals of the 3.9 will never take that load.

On one trip to Maxton I put in a set of pills to produce 150 additional HP but the factory gasoline system didn't like it. Thus the methanol system, and when I went back I started with 100 HP of nitrous oxide and a matching methanol pill.

After every run I added methanol and went faster. But I ran out of single-step pills, late in the day, and the next larger size I had was about 8-10 steps larger. I ran out of time to go back and start adding more nitrous oxide.

At that time, 150 was within sight. I'd have added somewhere between 150-200 of 'spray' to get there. That's the far outer fringe of reasonableness on a 3.9 engine and could have been more load than the factory components would tolerate without failing.

Adding a little better than 100 HP of spray, and doing so only after shifting to third gear to take it easy on the transmission raised my 'stock-engine' speed by about 12 MPH.

I've had the car to about 160 MPH on a deserted E-way but I didn't start from a full stop and didn't pay any attention to the distance. The car is an '02 Sport so it has no limiter.

More information is available in the HP section here under the heading, 'Land Speed LS'.

For what it's worth, there was a 'stock-ish' 440 Mopar factory muscle-car there that weekend that wasn't as fast.

KS

Last edited:
transmission and diff won't handle more than 300 bhp (at least not for very long) and anything over 300 Pound/feet of torque is likely to twist the uni-body out of shape unless you have sufficient sub-framing. So why not just cut the entire floor pan out and start from scratch? Build a tube frame that can handle the torque, build whatever drive line that can handle the torque, hook up your Corvette motor (does blasphemous ring a bell?) and drop the LS shell down on the finished frame. That'll be a lot cheaper and simpler than trying to convert a chassis and drive line that wasn't designed to do what you want it to.

EDIT: Hell, last year I saw on e-pay an entire Corvette drive line with attached suspension components. But if I was going to go that route I would want to build a ridiculous sleeper and put a K-car body on it. You could build the worlds fastest mini-van.

transmission and diff won't handle more than 300 bhp (at least not for very long) and anything over 300 Pound/feet of torque is likely to twist the unibody out of shape unless you have sufficient sub-framing. So why not just cut the entire floor pan out and start from scratch? Build a tube frame that can handle the torque, build whatever driveline that can handle the torque, hook up your Corvette motor (does blasphemous ring a bell?) and drop the LS shell down on the finished frame. That'll be a lot cheaper and simpler than trying to convert a chassis and driveline that wasn't designed to do what you want it to.

300 bhp might be the limit for the 5 speed auto trans. The ZF 6-speed is holding up well in a couple Jaguars with 600+HP. (Perhaps another reason to use the 4.2 STR engine with the ZF 6-speed rather than the LS 5-speed.) I know that the standard 8.0 Dew 98 differential and axles can handle around 500 hp. (unless you are doing brake stands and flooring it all the time.)
On my conversion car, I am 90% built up on a custom rear end with the Mark VIII/Cobra differential with custom axles and Corvette rear spindles.
Regarding Chassis flex, the front half of the Dew98 platform can handle the power. There might be some concern on the flexing of the body behind in the rear "seat to trunk" pass through area. STR Jaguars have a reinforced bulkhead behind the rear seats, and better rear sub-frame mounting blocks. (I don't know how much of these improvements might have been passed on to 2004 and newer LSs.

I dont see the flex being much of a problem... the DEW platform is much more ridged and stronger than the SN95 platform, and there are no shortage of SN95's running well over 300lbft. also one would be silly to think they could double(or more) the HP of the motor and not have get into the trans and rear end too much. after talking to a couple of trans shops, getting this one to handle enough power shouldnt be too difficult.

EDIT: Hell, last year I saw on e-pay an entire Corvette drive line with attached suspension components. But if I was going to go that route I would want to build a ridiculous sleeper and put a K-car body on it. You could build the worlds fastest mini-van.

actually see a lot of the complete vette rolling chassis for sale all the time, kinda a hard deal to pass up is you were building a hot rod from the beginning. would be especially nice for handling to have the T56 (or TR6060) mounted in the back like that behind the torque tube... but then again, at that point, why not just start with a full corvette and not have to sacrifice any of its performance!

I dont see the flex being much of a problem... the DEW platform is much more ridged and stronger than the SN95 platform, and there are no shortage of SN95's running well over 300lbft. also one would be silly to think they could double(or more) the HP of the motor and not have get into the trans and rear end too much. after talking to a couple of trans shops, getting this one to handle enough power should be too difficult.

actually see a lot of the complete vette rolling chassis for sale all the time, kinda a hard deal to pass up is you were building a hot rod from the beginning. would be especially nice for handling to have the T56 (or TR6060) mounted in the back like that behind the torque tube... but then again, at that point, why not just start with a full corvette and not have to sacrifice any of its performance!

WOW! You mean.... start with a Corvette and... leave it the way it is and have a better performing car than something that was half-assed/hodge-podged/jury rigged from parts never intended to fit together...

Do you think that would come with a warrantee or ....

Wow. Just... Wow.

There are several transmission companies who offer a guaranty for up to 700+ pounds-feet on the 5R55N trans. One of the benefits of being in the Metro Detroit area is that there many engineering types around. I have contact with one who says that even the 700 figure is low if everything is done right.

DD, you display both ignorance and arrogance with every post. Grow up.

KS

There are several transmission companies who offer a guaranty for up to 700+ pounds-feet on the 5R55N trans. One of the benefits of being in the Metro Detroit area is that there many engineering types around. I have contact with one who says that even the 700 figure is low if everything is done right.

that is pretty much the levels I've been told are possible. while not exact, it does help to be so close to the pony's trans...

Members online

No members online now.
Back