GEN1 LS1 SWAP Lincoln Ls

ChiTownLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new here and have read a couple of threads on this LS1 swap LS. I am very interested In knowing what is needed to do this.. I understand the ls will need new gauges and I can't expect heat/ac. Custom motor mounts? I also have a problem of my car being an auto v6. Idk if I will need sheetmetal work in the trans tunnel? Will I need to look into a new diff/rear axle? Any shops you'd recommend in or around Illinois would be great as well.

Thanks to all for your help

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Why??? Wouldn't the money be better spent elsewhere?????

I could think of alot better things to spend $10,000 on. But its your money and your car. Forgive the scepticism but theres been a thread a week stating that someone wants info on how to dump 10k into an LS thats only worth 3-5k and it never happens. Im sure you are going to be the exception.

Im also interested in this.... I'd appreciate someone giving some REAL answers!!! My poker winnings are all gone, but my tissue business in NY is booming!!! :cool:

Here's a real answer.....the Royals are world champs! Now if we can just get Ned Yost to coach the Chiefs too.

Exhaust in the living room, dirty car....and its destined for an LS1 swap? Sure

OP:

Just.. don't. Don't...
LS is an old vehicle, not worth doing anything to it. Unless you desperately want to have an epic sleeper car, and you are mind set on that, then I can see your way of thinking.
Will you need a new diff? Yeah, these Diff's can't even handle a turbo, as demonstrated by QuickLS.
Will the tranny need work? Most likely.

None of the parts in this car are designed to handle over 300 HP/torque. Hell on a first Gen, just giving it +30 HP boost puts your whole powertrain at risk. Welcome to DEW-98, ford most discontinued platform ever...

If you want a sleeper luxury, here's my 2 cents worth:

SELL the LS, and go buy a newer vehicle. Here's a list to start with:
Infinti G37-XS, Chrysler 300C 5.7L or 6.4L SRT, Lexus IS350, Cadillac CTS-V, Jaguar XF (Overpriced), Mercedes AMG.

In fact, here's a list of older quick sedans that are quicker than the second gen LS, most of them already in the 13's Q/M.
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...2008-30000-to-40000-2008-chrysler-300c-page-6

your best bet would be to get a whole donor car, then you have the engine, trans, rear end, wire harness and computer.

at a minimum, your gonna need to replace the engine and trans, everything will be custom or customized, engine/trans mounts, headers. then pull out the lincoln cluster and replace with donor car(or custom make your own), add the donor wire harness and PCM, get a custom drive shaft. and then you go from there in figuring out all the fun stuff like what you want to try to rig up, probably will want to use the donor radiator as I assume the bigger engine will make more heat. I would also at a minimum add a LSD, but depending on how much power you want to make, a rear end swap may be in the works, that also will be no easy task.

To All that gave me a decent answer, thank you.. For you others, this post didn't have any negativity attached to it till you had to have an obnoxious comment. So again thanks to the ppl that want to help and give me some info on how to go about this.

P.s. The car is just sitting in my garage doing nothing, why not have some fun with it. So if you don't like it don't bother to comment

I've seen a few different threads and figment of the Ls1 isn't an issue, my main concern would be motor and trans mounts, and maybe the rear end. As for the electical components ( to my knowledge) like the interior lights, radio and accessories work other than the cluster with key turned and motor pulled.

... The car is just sitting in my garage doing nothing ...

Get used to it!

RE: obnoxious comments, you're new on the block, these turds have been at it for some time, they've seen guys like you come and go, I want to do this, I want to do that, how do I ... and it never works out, often it's just an idea, some get a start and never finish, trust me on this!

Now, had you thoughtfully and thoroughly read through the obnoxious comments in the already, ever so popular, existing LS1 thread, you should have come to the conclusion that the LS1 swap is a waste of time/money and some have even gone as far as to call it plain out BULL****.

Perhaps you can check with the other lad, see if he's willing to share his so called poker winnings, make it an LS1 coupe all in one shot, then you'd be impressing others around here. Your chance to smear some egg on some faces.

Good luck to you of course and Welcome to LvC, the place of the obnoxious comments to the dumbest ideas of them all, yours included.

In Short Form: Fun is made at your expense because it's been done before and it didn't work out, grow some Fn skin and fit in! :rolleyes:

It has been successfully done.. And I will successfully accomplish it again. I've been around lvc reading post for the last couple years so I know how it goes.
Thanks for nothing
It's seems more or less that I've had an idea that has come up before and no one seems to like it.... This site seems more of a place for ppl to bash one another for there ideas.
So again if you have an idea to help rather than bash someone's plan, I'd appreciate the help.

http://youtu.be/0UkNf8hfgUc

So if you don't like it don't bother to comment

Owwwwwww....... Should we be afraid????

Edison didn't think he failed 99 times. He understood that he found 99 ways that didn't work.

If you want to come here and know more than those that have been here from the beginning have at it. Just don't expect to have smoke blown up your skirt. There is a reason this hasn't been done, successfully (by that I mean all systems working as designed) before. There's a reason McLaren sold the LS with the supercharger in the trunk!

If you have that kind of stupid money spend it on a 'Vette and have real fun! Or an M5.... Or a Mercedes AMG....

It has been successfully done.. And I will successfully accomplish it again. I've been around lvc reading post for the last couple years so I know how it goes.
Thanks for nothing
It's seems more or less that I've had an idea that has come up before and no one seems to like it.... This site seems more of a place for ppl to bash one another for there ideas.
So again if you have an idea to help rather than bash someone's plan, I'd appreciate the help.

http://youtu.be/0UkNf8hfgUc

There's a reason that car has been sold something like 5 times!!!!! It's called a whore around here.....

Lol idk what to say... This is comedy. I guess my question offended you.. Be afraid? Afraid of what? Sorry if I offended anyone by " knowing it all" And asking a few questions.
Oh and once again thanks for the **** comment

Lol idk what to say... This is comedy. I guess my question offended you.. Be afraid? Afraid of what? Sorry if I offended anyone by " knowing it all" And asking a few questions.
Oh and once again thanks for the **** comment

The be afraid post made me laugh too. There are a lot of people here who think their join date is a reflection of knowledge and intelligence and capability. The person that did the first LS swap was wise with his time and never even posted here until after the fact (trying to sell it IIRC). He got much more positive posts about his Ford from a Chevy forum. You don't need approval from anyone here. Assuming you have the skills (since this isn't a learn along the way project), spend your money and time on what you want. You have the added benefit of knowing it can be done. Get to work on it. Have fun along the way. Enjoy it when its "done".

I have to laugh at the posts from people who got rid of their LS saying the powertrain can't take 30hp boosts. Check my signature and miles. I'm not the only one. Data talks and bull$hit walks.

OK, i'll bite

The reason for the hostility is because this gets asked a few times a year, These new members make it to about 15 posts and disappear. You have to see it from our end, that after years of actually trying to help, it goes no where... now it would be ridiculous to imagine someone "investing" in something like this.

IF you would have posted a questions like, I have my crate, trans and halfway in but have a question on how to mount "this".. we'd be far more helpful. Or I have all this mapped out, but am stuck on... .

Let me put it another way, The most successful swaps had already started before they ask questions, I'll make my statement again...Those who can do this, dont ask your question!

In fact, that last successful swap is for sale on here right now....

If your wanting the site to figure out all the issues of the build, your going to need to convince those members a bit more if your not wanting "non-decent" answers..

agreed on this ^^

I'll add that the real issue won't be mechanical, it will be electrical. He (or a buddy) will need to be good mating the two computers and all that stuff I openly admit I would not want to be involved in. But I'll root him on lol

I pray you prove us all wrong, like I have to all those before you.

Id say find a first gen v6 man.
gut it
find a car with your LS1 / or can take your new motor

swap over all donor car components (engine, trans, computers, sensors, etc)

that sounds the easiest to me.... not forgetting replacing all LS wear items

let us all not forget... the "successful" LS1 swapped car was pretty much a non street legal race car... it had no safety systems (ABS, SRS, TC) and the comfort and convenience systems were barely functional, at least the locks and windows worked, but it had a rigged up switch for either no heat or full heat.

the Chevy guys loved it because it took the car from 0% Chevy to 40%-50% Chevy. so they when from not liking it at all to liking it a bit.

the ford guys are going to hate it because you're taking the car from 100% ford to about half of that.

me personally, I don't like crossbreeding, I would never drop a chevy motor into a mustang, nor would I ever want a ford motor in a camaro... BUT this whole car is already loaded with factory crossbreeding and I really don't see a problem in removing all the Jag crap for some rock solid GM pushrod love...

the beauty of an LS swap is that it is a super large motor (displacement) that fits in a super small sized package (external dimensions) and they are fairly super simple to get running. not to mention, right now the LS series of motors bask in aftermarket heaven and there is no shortage or parts or options to make anything work (hell you can even buy almost full bolt in swap kits to cram an LS into a lot of imports!)

I have been spending a lot of time talking to my fabricator looking to what all we need as I would really like an LS2 or LS3 swap. however, the complexity of the computer systems is what makes this such a undesirable project, even when you get it running great and strong, you still have a half working car. and since this will not be a track only car and will be driven on the street 95% of the time, there is not much of a point to start with a Lincoln when you lose half/all that makes it a Lincoln. then when i start factoring in whats its gonna cost me for all the parts needed, I might as well just buy the car that already has that motor, AND all of the engineering to make everything work as a complete car...

at this point, it just doesn't make sense to me to not just go out and buy a GTO, G8, or a CTS-V (sideways SS's and GXP's will never be an option) in the first place. then instead of wasting money chasing problem, that money can go right into making fast into freaky fast, instead of spending money making something thats kinda quick into something thats somewhat fast but hoping something else doesn't break today...

hell, now days you can get a C6 in the mid $20ks (or sometimes even way lower...) and then not have to chase any problems around nor would you just be struggling to get back to the performance of the donor car was in the first place...

EDIT: or a freaking 427/7.0 drysump LS7 track dominator for under 17K...
http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classifieds.php?a=2&b=9970

just out of curiosity, why an LS1? is it just because they are cheap? the LSx owner just used on because he already had it from an older car just sitting around. I feel like if I was going to go through all those troubles, I would want to start with the newer bigger models...

if you can't handle some **** talking on the internet without getting butthurt, then you can not handle this project...

there now you can save your money and get the car you really want now, instead getting half way into pulling the oem **** before quitting....

Even if you got everything working it could not be registered in California. They are extremely picky, ne Nazish, about emissions and won't allow an engine swap from one make to another (sometimes not even within makes) for street use.

Check the CVC (for starters) about engine swaps......

Replacement Engines
A straight engine swap for an identical power unit comes under California's "replacement engine" laws. All such swaps must involve identical engines, with no modifications. If the replacement block comes without emissions equipment, then this must be removed from the original engine and installed on the new unit. Any difference between the two engines renders the swap invalid under replacement engine rules and instead the car owner must meet guidelines for "engine changes." Engines imported from Japan can be used for replacement engine swaps in California. They must be "functionally identical" to the block that comes out of the car. California has a list of engines that are identified as legal to be used for such swaps.

Engine Changes
An engine change involves swapping a car engine with another that is not identical, under California law. The state insists that the newly-installed block must be the same age or newer than the one coming out of the car. It must be from the same type of vehicle, such as a passenger car or light duty truck. If the car is California-certified then the engine going in to the car must also be California-certified. Car owners must make sure an engine change does not increase pollution levels, according to California's Air Resources Board. Car owners must submit their car for inspection after an engine change takes place. This is carried out at a state referee station where the vehicle is subject to an emissions test and checked to see that all required equipment is where it should be under California law.

Exemptions
If you own a vehicle that was made before California introduced its strict emission laws then your car is exempt. This means owners of old classic imported cars and vintage U.S. models do not have to comply with the engine swap laws for more modern vehicles. California calls these older cars "uncontrolled" vehicles. They include all foreign-made vehicles from 1967 and earlier, all U.S.-made vehicles certified in California that were manufactured in 1965 or before, and all U.S.-produced cars certified federally that were made in 1967 and before.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_7168251_california-engine-swap-laws.html

Members online

Back