reusing strut rod bushing sleeves?

luccianoduckman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm working on changing my strut rod bushings. The chassis-end buhings look OK to me, but I'd rather change all of them at the same time to avoid having to take it apart again in 6 months.
I've managed to find new OEM bushings for both ends of the rods, but of course can't find the sleeves. Can the original sleeves be reused if they don't appear to be bent/warped/rusted, or in some other way beat to death?

If they can't be reused, I see that the bushing kits from Moog, AC Delco, Bob's-Tree-House-Suspension-Inc., etc. come with new sleeves. Can these sleeves be trusted? Worst case I could just order the kit, throw the crappy bushings in the fire pit and do a good luck dance around it, then just use the sleeves with the new OEM bushings.

I live in California, the car been in California its whole life (no salt or sand), has 96k miles. Mostly original (except for all the crap I've already had to replace).

What do y'all say?

Jay sells custom made stainless sleeves. It's something like $135 for the set.

Those aftermarket are terrible, I wouldn't recommend them.

I'm hoping to reuse mine also, being a Florida car. I can't fork out the cash right now and I'm not sure it'll make it a few more months until tax time.

I just got rid of my Mark...I have a set left (gonna get rid of all my extra parts for just shipping cost), you pay for shipping and there yours. $10 probably

I just got rid of my Mark...I have a set left (gonna get rid of all my extra parts for just shipping cost), you pay for shipping and there yours. $10 probably

not to thread jack but what other parts? and if he doesnt want the sleeves I'll take them. PM me with info if you like.

thanks Spree - I just sent you a PM. Will be happy to take them off your hands!
Do you happen to have any parts for the light bar in the back? Mine is dead - don't know what all I have to replace yet.

I guess a few people wanted those sleeves, I work all weekend and I'll see how many sets I can make in the next week.
Just so everyone knows these are not stainless like Jay makes. These are made out of solid bar, they are one piece (body and washer), no welding and they worked perfect in my car. I will throw a few sets together and see who wants them.
Here's my thread.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?88842-SRB-s-Spacer-s-and-LCA-s

I have a set from spree on my car now. They worked good, but the set I have the I.D. was a thousands to small so I had to screw it on to my strut rod ends. Also it could have been all the powder coating I did.

20150504_235121.jpg

I have a set from spree on my car now. They worked good, but the set I have the I.D. was a thousands to small so I had to screw it on to my strut rod ends. Also it could have been all the powder coating I did.
Mine were a little tough too, just with paint. I opened up the ID on these .790 - .800 i think, just so their a little easier to get on. I have two sets ready and more tooling on order.
I don't believe I mentioned it but you will need to open up your factory washers to 1.000 to get these to fit.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread either, just trying to help a few people out. My mark VIII days are over. Get em while you can...I'm not gonna make many of these.

I need to apologize... I'm not trying to step on Jay's toes at all!
Just trying to give a few sets away to those that can't afford the stainless ones. No harm done. Everyone here helped me out with my Mark when I needed it the most and probably saved me thousands. I just want to return the favor to the community and save a couple of people a few bucks.
Just so everyone is clear...these will not go into production. This will only be a one time deal. I will only make a few sets and then I'm done making them.

Fixed mine. I was driving when I got the notification and I couldn't figure out how to delete messages lol.

I just did this job over the weekend. Dang. The car had the original sleeves, and I had to cut them out with an angle grinder because they wouldn't separate. They were riveted.
The torque spec for the front strut rod is somewhere in the range of 100 ft-lb, but the scary thing was that when I was disassembling the crazy thing I could almost spin the front nut with my fingers. The original bushings were seriously compressed.

So my question is - should the torque on the SRBs be checked regularly??

Amazing what no rust will make a car do. Finger tight? Hah, I had to spend three days and nights soaking that thing in fluid and getting it red hot with a torch before it would even budge, WITH AN IMPACT GUN.

Members online

No members online now.
Back