Performance comparison of 5 speed to v8

Lseme

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking for input from those who have driven both the V6 5 speed to the V8 autos. Is there a big difference or not much at all ? How is the dynamic overall ? Looking to buy a 5 speed.

A manual transmission will not begin to make up for a difference of over fifty cubic inches of displacement.

KS

A manual transmission will not begin to make up for a difference of over fifty cubic inches of displacement.

KS

Ok I get the comparison on paper but I'm looking for those who have driven both that can opine on how big or little the difference is.

Never driven the V8.
The manual of course is slower (C&D had 0-60 times for the V6 manual at 7.9 and first gen V8 at 7.4, the second was at 6.7 sec). But it depends what you are looking for. I like the MT (I've never owned an automatic car), the gears are well spaced the shifter is good, though the clutch take up took a little while to get use to. For two lane passes starting at any speed under 60 I just shift from 5th to 3rd before starting the pass. The car is fairly quiet in third at 60 nd the gear is good for just under 100mph so I'm probably just a little slower to pass than an auto that the driver is letting the trans kick down. Seriously just test drive both (if you can find them) and buy what you like.

Never driven the V8.
The manual of course is slower (C&D had 0-60 times for the V6 manual at 7.9 and first gen V8 at 7.4, the second was at 6.7 sec). But it depends what you are looking for. I like the MT (I've never owned an automatic car), the gears are well spaced the shifter is good, though the clutch take up took a little while to get use to. For two lane passes starting at any speed under 60 I just shift from 5th to 3rd before starting the pass. The car is fairly quiet in third at 60 nd the gear is good for just under 100mph so I'm probably just a little slower to pass than an auto that the driver is letting the trans kick down. Seriously just test drive both (if you can find them) and buy what you like.

I already have an 02 lse v8 - Great car, decent power for a slush box small displacement motor but now I want to add a 5 speed to the mix.

it should be noted that even the V8 DOES come with a 5 speed... even though it feels better shifting, there is really not that much difference. and stock for stock it going to be slower than a 1st gen V8, and it going to be quite slower than a 2nd gen V8.

so if going slower but enjoying the driving more is what your looking for, then its perfect.

I'm looking for those who have driven both that can opine on how big or little the difference is.

its not small. if you want another LS, do your self a favor and just get a 2nd gen V8.

My 01' 5 speed has the mods below but prior to the new tune it had no problem keeping up with my brothers stock 03' from a roll and at above 130mph I would start passing him then he would hit his limiter and it was game over. From a dig he would get me because the tune I had at the time lacked the low end torque so I would either bog or blow the tires off. The MPT tune has considerably more low end torque and I replaced my 4 year old tires so I don't have that problem now. Both of those changes helped my be considerably more consistent with my launch.

A few years ago a raced a stock 2002 LSE v8 and had not problem taking him.

I'd say, stock for stock the gen2 v8 will be noticeably faster. With equal mods the Gen2 would still be faster. It should be noted that my 2001 5 speed has no options(no heated seats, moon roof etc.) so it weights as light as you can get an LS. My brothers has more options like moon roof, heated and cooled seats(standard maybe).

it should be noted that even the V8 DOES come with a 5 speed.

Since when does the LS V8 have a 5 speed ?

All V8's have a 5 speed.... automatic.

You are calling a manual transmission a 5 speed when 5 speed actually refers to the number of gears in the transmission, not the manner in which you shift.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. V6 = 5 speed manual V8 = 5 speed automatic.

Yes. There are no LS V8's with a manual transmission. All LS's have 5 speed transmissions, all V8's are automatic and some V6's are manual

I have had an MTX for 12 years now and I have driven a V8. No doubt that the v8 has more power, especially off the line. But the V6 is better balanced and handles better. More weight with the V8 and I do notice a difference in handling. The front end on the V8 feels heavier compared to the V6. I don't remember which suspension the V8 I drove was, but I believe that the V6 with a sport suspension will out handle a V8 LS. I have also driven a V6 with the regular suspension. Ride is smoother, but there is some understeer compared to the sport suspension. Bottom line, if you want to shift (and I do) find an MTX. I do not think you will regret the decision. If you want more off the line power, then find a V8.

My LS sport will walk the dog on a 5 speed. Heck, it doesn't have problems walking the dog on other LS's.

To me, just the exhaust note on a V8 trumps the manual tranny in a V6 car.

Given the age of the 1st gens and the dearth of inexpensive parts I wouldn't be looking for one. I'm probably going to go back to stangs when I buy another car, a '13-14 GT auto unless the newer ones are more roomy.

If I was looking for a 5 speed toy I'd fire up my '93 stang and put it back on the road. Cheep resto parts = cheep performance.

I'm confident my 02 lse v8 would walk many an unsuspecting schlub and look damn good doing so. I don't care what anyone says, there's no replacement for displacement.

correct, there were never any manual V8 LS built, only a few V6s, my only point was that since the V8's auto also has 5 gears, the ratios are much much closer making the difference in performance of the transmission no where near as big as say compared to an slightly older mustang where the auto was a 4 speed and the manuals were either a 5 or 6 speed.

All V8's have a 5 speed.... automatic.

You are calling a manual transmission a 5 speed when 5 speed actually refers to the number of gears in the transmission, not the manner in which you shift.

Yes, by 5 speed I mean a 5 speed MTX.

Interesting fact about the 5 speed MTX, it has no overdrive yet yielded the same rated MPG as the automatic (3.07 rear gear). I personally net 27MPG easily on 70/30 hwy/city since my new tune.

Another interesting fact is parts for the transmission are usually cheaper to buy and ship from England for the LS sister car, the S-type.

Yes, by 5 speed I mean a 5 speed MTX.

Interesting fact about the 5 speed MTX, it has no overdrive yet yielded the same rated MPG as the automatic (3.07 rear gear). I personally net 27MPG easily on 70/30 hwy/city since my new tune.
Mechanicboy quick question. I have an automatic 2000 v6 lincoln ls, I would like to know what tune can I give my car or mods? I've pushed mines to 110mph but stopped. I want to be able to push my baby where I see the newer gen car headlights behind me:D

For another view of performance, I ran my '02 V8 in ECTA one mile competition and saw, the first time, about 129 MPH at the end of the timed mile. Someone with a V6 might find a marked mile and see what shows on the speedo in the mile from a dead stop. (For more info, see 'Land Speed LS' in the performance section.)

KS

Members online

Back