Car has been sitting for 6 years.

Hawk

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I went and looked at a 2003 Lincoln TC Cartier this evening.

It turns out the guy who is selling the car says it was his fathers who passed away 6 years ago and the car has been sitting since.

It has 105,000 KM's. It was pretty dark so I couldnt see too much, but from what I could tell the paint on the lower edge of the hood has some defects. Also on the roof a bit, in the groove on the paint along the edge near the back.
The trunk only opens by key. Bit of wheel rust.

The guy started the car up, had it running, I heard a wine coming from the front of the car for a short amount of time then it went away (Power steering??) . The oil had not been changed and the fuel level was low. I doubt he added new fuel but who knows I forgot to ask. Was only able to take it to the end of the road and back because it had no insurance.

I made a list of stuff the car needs:
Coolant flush
Oil change/filter
Tires
Brake Pads/Rotors
Fuel Filter
Tranny Filter/fluid change
Anything im forgetting? Brake lines/fluid??

Also, What are your thoughts on buying a Town Car that has been sitting this long. Should I stay away?
His price is $6500 CAD Negotiable. I have NOT made an offer yet.

Here are some pic's:
image1.jpegl.jpgimage1.jpgm.jpg

image1.jpg

image1.jpegl.jpg

m.jpg

Anyone? I need to know what else to look out for on a car thats been sitting this long. Or if i should pass on this particular one. What would be a good offer?

Looks pretty nice overall but don't know if his asking price is fair tho. Someone will probably come along with more experience pricing a TC. Later

Also check the suspension as well. Because of the work that would need to done, I would offer $4,500.00
Having a car set for that long is just as bad as driving the vehicle too much

so true about the rear air suspensions, if those airbags stay static for a long time and suddenly gets expands, it could develop cracks and you'll have a slight to major air leak. it's not cheap to replace them. listen to the air compressor, if it runs all the time or for a very long time it's busted already.

so true about the rear air suspensions, if those airbags stay static for a long time and suddenly gets expands, it could develop cracks and you'll have a slight to major air leak. it's not cheap to replace them. listen to the air compressor, if it runs all the time or for a very long time it's busted already.

That is very true

Members online

Back