Newbie looking for buying advice

MagicRat

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I am on a hunt for 97/98 model. Something good that could be a nice DD. Been seeing a lot of white ones out there. Thoughts on that color as I have never owned a white car and trying to decide if I like it :). What about changing the color if i find something I like? What other advice does anyone have as to what to look out for? I am reading as much as I can while searching high and low.

My Silver 97 Mark VIII is the first non white car I have owned in many years. As the only whites you can get in 97/98 are the opalescent/pearlescent colors I really like them.

I would almost say I would rather have mechanical issues to fix than paint, but I got both. I can do the mechanical stuff for reasonable prices and time, painting not so much.

With a 97/98 state of blend door (does it go between heat and cold), air suspension (does it fail to pump up, does it leak down quickly, has it already been replaced with poverty coils), state of the low beam HID, the neon in the deck lid, do the seats move forward and back, does the steering column tilt and telescope, does it have 2 PATS keys, how rough is the rear window surround...those are things that for me make or break or at least help with determining what I would pay.

Welcome to the board MagicRat. I'm not suggesting you are but the first thing is don't be in a hurry to get your car. There are so many factors that apply to each individual. Are you looking for a low mileage car and willing to pay a little more for it or are you looking for a deal on one in fair condition that your willing to put some money into? The one thing in your favor, there are a lot of Gen II 97-98s out there. This is the right place to ask, there are a lot of guys that might not only help you find a car but once you have it, they will help solve your issues you will probably have. Just keep using that search feature and you'll learn a lot from there. I just got mine after searching Craigslist and cars for sale websites, I've always believed you'll know it when the right one shows up. Good luck

Thanks for the replies. I much rather have a solid mechanical car then just one that is may favorite color. The white one i saw already had the coils installed so that must mean at some point the air bags leaked. Other then that it looked good. Might call around and see what a paint job will run. Meanwhile the search continues :).

So i found one and the only thing i can tell wrong with it is the neon does not work. Blend doors are good. Hids are good. Steering wheel works. Seems to run/idle well. Thoughts on fixing the neon? I am still researching all of this so pardon my new guy question :)

Often the ballast fails. In theory, neon itself should last over 50 years unless damaged. If you get the car, you may notice in dark locations the neon will briefly/dimly flash when pressing the brakes. A sure sign of a bad ballast.

Also the wire harness along the driver side trunk hinge breaks up and can cause issues.

Nothing wrong with a clean opal/opalescent. :rolleyes:

0924141829-1-1.jpg

Dare i ask what a good price range for a 97/98 should be in? i know there are a ton of variables but i have seen prices across the board. i am thinking for a low mileage one 8-9k is ballpark and higher mileage 5-6 or 7 depending on issues. Thoughts?

again thanks for the help as i navigate the fun times of finding an older car ;-)

Rat, I can give you my experience as I just went through this. If your as picky as I am about the paint and I'm picky, look it over closely. I bought mine from a group in Ohio, I'm in KC and even though I had them send me 50+ pics they managed to hide some obvious issues and then there were the ones not so obvious that you don't see until it's a bright sun day and the car is just washed. As for the price, it seams to depend on where you live. I would think you should be able to find a beautiful Mark for $4 to $6 grand and for $6 it should be practically perfect, meaning garaged and low mileage (80,000 or under) I could be wrong, just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum. I would look in Florida. No rust issues and they can be picked up pretty cheap. There's a 98 base in Miami with 46k They have been trying to sell it for a few months now. They are asking $3k. It needs paint but there is practically no market for them down here. Keep your eyes on CL. I'm sure you can get a good one for a great price. I live by Sarasota and would be happy to check one out for you if need be. Good luck! Marked 8 always finds good deals on CL.

I will continue searching. Found one in georgia but its 10k. Low miles but still high price from what i am seeing

Rat, I recently bought a '98 (not LSC) with 70K miles, one owner, nice paint, good interior. Paid just under 5k. Put new tires, battery & compressor on it. It's black with ivory interior and I love it. I got a spare ballast for the taillights just in case. Found one under $100 on ebay. Lots of parts there. Good luck on your search.

Members online

Back