Disappearing buttons

Wicked Ace

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Early in the summer I noticed the button to manipulate the traction control had left a hole and probably disappeared into the console. A few weeks ago, doing my due diligence, after changing the oil I went to reset the status minder and the row off buttons tried to fade into the dash. I know the plastic is done for but I would like to have at least the thought I can manipulate these functions.
So I pose to you two questions: How do I open up the console and dash panel to get to them? What is a good work around fix to reattach them to their respective placements?

What is a good work around fix to reattach them to their respective placements?

I've used epoxy to reattach things that were plastic. I had to reattach the console latch recently & the tabs that hold the center air duct. The epoxy worked perfectly. I also used epoxy to permanently attach the spare tire cover hatch handle. Harbor Freight has two-part epoxy, as does any hardware store.

The dash piece with the message center buttons just pulls straight out.
The cup holder section with the traction button and the parking brake button, just lifts straight up. In both cases, there are just some low force tabs holding them in. Just pull.

There are several threads on here about this problem and how to fix it.

I have some surgery to perform. The sleeves for the screws on the dash panel seem to have disintegrated for the most part. I think I can save the traction control with epoxy.

Way back when, you could still buy those parts new. When I replaced mine, I went ahead and covered the new, uncracked parts with epoxy to try and make them last longer.

eBay seems to still have new center vents to the tune of $130.

You can also shop over time, if you're in no rush, and eventually find what you need for lower prices. I found a used black one with the buttons and both standoffs (though one is cracked and going to be covered in epoxy/JB) for $47. I was tipped off and just received a black Gen 1 LSE rear license surround for $85. I bought a Gen 2 LED brake light for $35.

Miscategorized items are the best. It usually means the seller didn't do the right pricing research.

just be care full with the epoxy, you dont want it getting into the switch and cause it to stop working..., trust me, not fun.

given some of the other issues with this car - this is a breeze to handle. took care of this 6-8 months ago.

I bought a new message control panel from eBay brand new not to long ago for $84. It's very easy to replace.

Carefull now Joe, dare suggesting it's been covered a hundred times and could have been found by means of search.
Lately the forum gets upset about this because it's easier to just start yet another repetitive thread to get the answers.

Own a couple of these myself, always seems to be readily available on junkers at the yards.

Carefull now Joe, dare suggesting it's been covered a hundred times and could have been found by means of search.
Lately the forum gets upset about this because it's easier to just start yet another repetitive thread to get the answers.

I know. I was waiting to see how long it would take. I guess the only way to win would be to search out those threads, and then copy paste the most relevant and accurate information, or to just not respond at all. One of those two options is easier than the other...

It was recently suggested to me that I should open up more and share/help ... as much I would like or have in the past, I simply don't have the time nor patience these days.

I run 3150-3320mi weekly consistent on a dedicated new customer load and it's kicking my most right rear tire, I'm beat at the end of the week, I'm home for 1.5 days before I head back out again. It gets tiring some days, I get home to tease on here a little and do the yard work, then I'm back on invoicing and paperwork, repacking the bags and out of here again.

It's what I choose to do right now ... I'd love to sit here and assist with repetitive questions but the fun of that has already worn off.

You on the other hand, HUGE KUDO's for sure on being able to deal with this on a daily, what seems like a routine for you. Don't know how you do it. almost BOT-like, hope we don't loose you because of all this as-of-late-bull crap over not searching or reading.

+1

Own a couple of these myself, always seems to be readily available on junkers at the yards.

I don't view the site much these days, only when I need a tip, trick or quick info. I got turned off before your time BIG RIG when the "search nazis" were in force. When you think about it, there wouldn't be much of a forum without these questions over and over. The only thing left would be "what performance mods?" over and over. Or maybe the "pimp my ride" threads. Pick your poison
Joe, thanks again for your response I can now look into something for a quick fix.
I'm at the end of a 10 year relationship with this car as I'm going to move on soon. I retire at the end of the month so I'll have time to look around. A 2016 Jaguar XF and Caddy CTS V-sport are on my short list but I just saw Alfa Romeo is bringing in a new Jiulia sedan next year....hmmmm

One of those two options is easier than the other...

and that's what people just don't understand...

sooner or later, people might even take offence to you linking to/copy & paste from the service manual.

personally, if it was me needing the help, I would rather have somebody that really knows exactly what is going on to link me to a proper explanation, diagram, or really any trustworthy resource, vs having somebody just parrot back what they seen around a few times and hope that they were complete and accurate (did we learn nothing when in school where we got in a line and whispered something to the person next to us just to see if the guy on the end got the same message?)

I don't think that people even realize the most knowledgeable people often don't respond because they are tired of answering the same question for the fourth time this week.

When you think about it, there wouldn't be much of a forum without these questions over and over. The only thing left would be "what performance mods?" over and over. Or maybe the "pimp my ride" threads. Pick your poison

I have seen first hand that often, the quality (and completeness) of these answers have gotten worse as time goes on. either the originator of the info gets tired of typing out very specific and detailed responses and starts just giving out just enough info top pass by, or worse yet they don't respond, and somebody that read the answer from another thread from somebody that read the answer from another thread tries to convey the same message but often leaves stuff out or mistakenly gives out incorrect information.

if those are my options, I would choose what ever option gives me the best and most complete answer that allows me to fix my problem the best.

also, I really like when somebody pulls up an old thread, and their specific question wasn't quite covered (to their satisfactions) then they can get more specific information AND make that original thread even better and more complete! that would sure be better than getting 100 results of threads that all have have of the answers in different places. wouldn't you agree?

... I don't think that people even realize the most knowledgeable people often don't respond because they are tired of answering the same question for the fourth time this week.

BINGO, give this man the price!!!!
Sums = all up.

Members online

Back