Why I Bought The LS6

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The PO spent more on service ($2005 in parts, $1665 in labor) just 7 months ago than I did for the whole car.

LS_Service.jpg

And of course, I always wanted one.

LS_SM.jpg

And I have done:

1. Replace Airbag Sensor Plug - Drivers Seat
2. Repair Air Intake
3. Interior Detail
4. Replace CD-6 Head Unit
5. Repair Front Nose Trim
6. Replace Fog Lamps
7. Replace Console Latch
8. Replace Visor Catches
9. Repair Reverse Light
10. Remove Front Door Panels, tighten all bolts
11. Restore Headlights
12. Cleaned MAF Sensor (idle increased 200rpm)
13. Replace Two Mini-Bulbs
14. Repair Spare Tire Cover Handle
15. Replace Engine Cover

I've spent less than $205.

LS_Service.jpg

LS_SM.jpg

Now sell it while you still can.

Oh....I'm not opposed to a quick flip and making a buck or two. I only drive about 5000 miles a year and with a Town Car parked next to it, I can't see it getting more than 3000 miles in the next twelve months so flipping it can wait, for now.

On another note, why the hate for the LS? Did you get a well abused one that soured your taste for these fine automobiles?

You'll find that LS parts are a lot harder to get than Town Car parts. Anyway, I just noticed they put the wrong oil in the AC system. It should have been PAG 46. (And, I assume that where they said Freon, they meant Suva.)

^ Honest-1 Auto Care ~ Home of the Honest Mechanics

Why would they lie about selling Freon in today's age Joe! Com'on now, they're telling the truth, they are mechanics after all. :p

^ Honest-1 Auto Care ~ Home of the Honest Mechanics

Why would they lie about selling Freon in today's age Joe! Com'on now, they're telling the truth, they are mechanics after all. :p

In Oregon, we have emissions testing (which I passed 45 minutes ago) and Honest-1 Auto is on a short list of shops that our DEQ recommends. You don't get on that list by being a bad shop.

Admittedly, I was nervous about getting through emissions testing. It was my 3rd try - although I did not fail the first two. I had disconnected the battery for some routine maintenance and it cleared the computer (of course). I had to clock about 90 miles before it had learned enough and was deemed 'ready' by the emissions computer.

Yes, out of the 5, all have to reach a READY state or it's a fail. Some older cars, I think pre '96 (don't quote me) only have to have 3 out of the 5 reach a READY state. My Winter beater Nissan Maxima, California imported to Canada car, passed with only 3 out of the 5 in a READY state and it was also because I had the battery disconnected and clearing codes after replacing the knock sensor just prior to going for emissions.

... and Mechanics are like Lawyers, they all lie <--please just see the humor in it.

Yes, out of the 5, all have to reach a READY state or it's a fail. Some older cars, I think pre '96 (don't quote me) only have to have 3 out of the 5 reach a READY state. My Winter beater Nissan Maxima, California imported to Canada car, passed with only 3 out of the 5 in a READY state and it was also because I had the battery disconnected and clearing codes after replacing the knock sensor just prior to going for emissions.

... and Mechanics are like Lawyers, they all lie <--please just see the humor in it.

All 1996 model year cars have to be OBDII. Some 1995 cars already were. I had two 1995 BMW 325i's that were OBDII. Perhaps that is when (OBDII compliant) the 5 of 5 became mandatory.

Perhaps different in Canada here, the Nissan Maxima passed with only 3 ouf of the five readiness flags completed. Was told only because of it's year/model it was exempt from all 5 states.

Catalytic converter (CAT), Evaporative emission system (EVAP), and Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system, were probably the ones that counted for a pass condition.

EDIT -- oh, just found this using Google - http://www.lyberty.com/car/maxima_tsb.html

1996 Nissan vehicles and 1997 Nissan 2.0 liter 200SX - These vehicles may have a high degree of "not Ready" for catalyst and evaporative monitors due to a "trip based" design. Nissan has provided driving cycles in its service information to allow monitors to operate. These vehicles should be treated as other non-problematic vehicles. Nissan Technical Service Bulletin #NTB98-018, February 18, 1998.

Members online

No members online now.
Back