I Almost Bought New Headlights...

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
...but then decided to just restore the ones I had. They were hazy to say the least, especially the tops. I removed them for ease of restoration.

Tools:

Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound
Orbital Buffer
Meguiar's Gold Wax

Two passes with an orbital and rubbing compound followed up with a coat of Meguiar's.

Headlights.jpg

Headlights.jpg

Yes, it helps a lot. The only issue is that you will have to do it again fairly often. BTW, do you know what new headlights cost...

Yes, it helps a lot. The only issue is that you will have to do it again fairly often.

I'm fairly certain these are the factory installed headlights so if the amount hazing I buffed out is any indication, I can wait another 13 years.

When you restore the headlights you remove the protective film. So now they will haze up faster.

I'm fairly certain these are the factory installed headlights so if the amount hazing I buffed out is any indication, I can wait another 13 years.

It's doesn't work like that. You'll be doing it again in six months or less...

When you restore the headlights you remove the protective film. So now they will haze up faster.

Pretty sure that protective film has been gone for some time now. I did my Town Car headlights a year ago and they haven't hazed up one bit. Neither car is garaged.

i redid my headlights 6 months ago and they still look like the day i finished. my ls is garaged though, so that
may help. i certainly do expect to have to do it again in another 6 months or so.

you can also have a body shop reapply some professionally applied uv sauce on them to help it stay clear.

You can coat it in polyurethane to give back some UV protection. You can apply clear vinyl to give it some abrasion resistance, while being easily replaced/reapplied.

You can coat it in polyurethane to give back some UV protection. You can apply clear vinyl to give it some abrasion resistance, while being easily replaced/reapplied.

I may try applying vinyl - I ordered some for the replacement Fog Lights so I'll see if I can get a good application on the headlights too.

Yes, it helps a lot. The only issue is that you will have to do it again fairly often. BTW, do you know what new headlights cost...

If you can get them. AFAIK the HID headlights aren't even available...

Used a sealer for plastic I found at auto parts store. It said spray on and let dry before driving. Only had to do my headlights the one time in 4 years of ownership. It was blue magic headlight lens sealer. I just found it at grainger for $8.82 a bottle. I only did the one car both lights and have a ton leftover. Wouldn't be surprised if one could do 100 lights with the one bottle.

Members online

Back