I have fixed my car up...some tips

I replaced left inner tie rod using my buddies homemade tool he made for GM cars, worked but not the best for my car. I did not need to replace bands as the car has spring clamp on small end of bellows and a screw clamp on the big end of the bellows.

I replaced left inner tie rod using my buddies homemade tool he made for GM cars, worked but not the best for my car. I did not need to replace bands as the car has spring clamp on small end of bellows and a screw clamp on the big end of the bellows.

Next time no need for fancy tools. All you need is a 24mm wrench, a 18mm socket and ratchet, needlenose pliers and a hammer.

i think you have the outers and inners mixed up. Inners have 1 and 3/16 inch nut and screw to steering rack. No need to undo the outers, just unscrew the inners from both ends. Unless you remove steering rack, you need to used the inner tie rod end tool, long tube with inserts at the big end or set screws.

i think you have the outers and inners mixed up. Inners have 1 and 3/16 inch nut and screw to steering rack. No need to undo the outers, just unscrew the inners from both ends. Unless you remove steering rack, you need to used the inner tie rod end tool, long tube with inserts at the big end or set screws.

Ooops....what year is yours? Last (1995-2002)generation has no inners, only outer. You remove the boot and there are the rack gear teeth.

every rack and pinion has inners. The rod that connects the outers to the steering rack is called the inner tie rod end.

every rack and pinion has inners. The rod that connects the outers to the steering rack is called the inner tie rod end.

Yea u were right. Right there with a.U-ring on it. uploadfromtaptalk1405352777608.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405352777608.jpg

Mine is a 1997 and I dont have the snap ring on my rack. Inside the big nut is a ball joint and wears out fast on our rough streets.

I ordered rear air spring from rockauto.com $92 plus $30 shipping. They will bill me for any duty later i am sure. My parts buddy here did not have a part listing. But with only 40,000 1997's built in North America, we are a small market.

Just finished installing rear air spring. Easy peasy. Only $92 from rockauto. Took me all of 15 minutes. Not sure why anyone would go to springs. I see I need to replace the horizontal shocks as they are leaking.

Enjoy Everyone! Read On........

Thank you for being a RockAuto customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your parts order total. Discount only valid for self-service orders placed online.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Code must be entered before order is submitted to receive discount.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on October 5, 2014; so don't wait!

Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!

My car is at the dealer as the a/c stopped blowing cold air. Compressor not turning and the tech told me the PCM controls the power to the compressor and he is going to look for a bad wire. All other items were checked and system recharged. My poor car and my poor bank account....They tech found that the EATC was bad and I need a new module. I saw some on ebay.

Last edited:
I bought a rebuilt EATC from Modular Pro in Califronia. Hope it works, as their reviews were not the greatest. Once it is fixed, I have a buyer for my car. I will replace it with a Pathfinder to tow my boat.

Noooo! You can't give up on it now! :D

I just had my front end redone - all new ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar end links. It rides like a new car. I'm glad I spent the money even though I know I couldn't get $3k if I sold it. That's silly, btw, for a very clean sub-100k-mile car that looks almost showroom and has a rebuilt transmission too. I will drive it forever before I sell it for nothing!

It is not like giving up on it. The new owner will be a lady whom saw my car at the hospital. She is a terminal cancer patient and promised to look after 'my' car. I was going to donate it to the local museum when I was done with it, including letting my sons drive it. My recent divorce has left me without a tow and hunting vehicle, so I need a Pathfinder.

Have you heard of Dr. DOHC? check him out on youtube. He makes the adapters to use our motors in RWD applications and puts a carb on them (no engine management system). My car has a block built by Teksid in Italy and I was thinking......

I was at the local small town car show last monday. I saw a 1954 Ford Crestline Skyliner with 255cid flathead with EFI from a Mustang on it. AWESOME

Last edited:

Members online

Back