engine knocking

hrod

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hello im new to this site...i have a question on my engine and any help would be great...so i bought a 98 lincoln at a very good price..it has 150k the engine ran flawless with no problem...a few week ago we had some bad weather the streets weel flooded..i let my son use my car and from what he said...he hit a big puddle of water going 30 mph rthe cars stalled out her tried to star it but it would start..so he pushed it into dry ground..afte that the car would not do anything till he got a jump start....and when the cars started i has a knocking sound that sounds like its coming from the intake..he drove the car home..the engine idles great but it has a knocking sound like a bad rod..i checked all the spark plugs number 8 plugs was bad so i replaced it but the knocking is still there...the mechanic said it could possible be a spun rod...i also heard that it couls possible be a bad timing chain tentioners..is there anyone that can help me out and shed a little light on what the knocking could possible be..
thanks
herman

Sounds like the engine ingested some water and bent the rod when it could not compress the water in that cylinder.

This is why you don't drive through water in a car that sits a few inches off the ground. Engine's garbage now. You'll need to throw in another one or get another car.

roadboss..i checked the oil and there is no water inside....marked8 i havnt check for bent rods..the mechanic said it could be a spun rod or something..he wasnt sure he was just guessing...soduka..i was thinking about getting another engine

Wasn't trying to be mean or anything by saying you need a new engine. These engines are a nightmare to open up wallet-wise. It's far cheaper to just get one from the 'yard or wherever else. They're only a couple hundred bucks if you haul it yourself.

Soduka..it's cool...yes I've been looking around for a used motor

I did this once. Not fun. But in my case, the engine was toast.

The insurance DID cover most of the new engine. At the time though, the cars were worth a lot more ($6k plus easily). In my case I got some test bed engine from Ford out of a Lincoln Aviator. Hence my sig pic. This was in a 96 which I also converted to COP, installed Cobra exhaust manifolds (modified steering) and Mach 1 intake. Was a hell of a project, but well worth it.

So look around for engines that fit. For the same dime you may get something a touch better without having to do too much extra work. If one thinks the car is worth it.

unity...its a good car i got a really good deal on everything on the cars work..im going to have the engine rebuilt and its not going to be costly.....

also im curious on what could be the reason for the engine making a knocking sound only when you start the car in the morning the knock sound like its coming from the top intake it knocks in the morning...or if the engine is turned of for more than a few hours...i was told i could be work crank bearing,,oil pump is weak and not holding its prime,or timing chain tentioners not working properly...after 1 or maybe 2 second the engine runs great has plent of power and it idles real good

unity...its a good car i got a really good deal on everything on the cars work..im going to have the engine rebuilt and its not going to be costly.....

also im curious on what could be the reason for the engine making a knocking sound only when you start the car in the morning the knock sound like its coming from the top intake it knocks in the morning...or if the engine is turned of for more than a few hours...i was told i could be work crank bearing,,oil pump is weak and not holding its prime,or timing chain tentioners not working properly...after 1 or maybe 2 second the engine runs great has plent of power and it idles real good

Are you talking about mk8 timing chain start up chatter? If so don't worry about it. Just drive it. Both mine do it. Don't pull engine if this is what your talking about. But this noise would have been there before puddle deal. While you hear this noise the engine has ZERO oil pressure, As soon as oil pressure comes up the noise goes away.(pumps up tensioner) Just put mechanical oil pressure gauge on car to see this if you want. If you want I can vid both my cars so you can hear they both do it.

If you're talking about the noise that sounds like a bicycle chain grinding real fast for about 3-4 seconds, nearly all Marks do it. Ford has a TSB affirming that this is a typical noise and nothing to get in a twist about. They did prescribe a fix but it's incredibly expensive and time consuming to install and all it does is make the harmless noise go away. Mine does it and the engine has 220,000 miles unopened and still going fine.

My Mark also makes this noise, near every time on cold start up. It doesn't last long, a couple of seconds, but the first time I heard it, it definitely made my teeth itch. So I spoke to my father(previous owner), and he filled me in on the TSB, and that the engine has been making the sound for years. Six quarts of Royal Purple in the crankcase, a Motorcraft filter, and all kinds of oil pressure during normal operating conditions, the engine is as healthy as a horse, but it still makes this sound. If this is the only thing you're hearing, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with your 4.6 DOHC.

How long is the knocking for? Does it sound like what they described above? I forget if these engines have hydraulic lifers or not, but that is my first thought. Maybe water got into the oil and caused an issue. Its just really hard to pin point stuff without hearing it first hand. Otherwise I would suspect a bent connecting road with the noise just tracking up into the valve line.

My Mark also makes this noise, near every time on cold start up. It doesn't last long, a couple of seconds, but the first time I heard it, it definitely made my teeth itch. So I spoke to my father(previous owner), and he filled me in on the TSB, and that the engine has been making the sound for years. Six quarts of Royal Purple in the crankcase, a Motorcraft filter, and all kinds of oil pressure during normal operating conditions, the engine is as healthy as a horse, but it still makes this sound. If this is the only thing you're hearing, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with your 4.6 DOHC.

the engine run awsome has plent of power i does not miss at all...it just the start up knock its making..if the engine sits up for more that an hour or so it knocks when you start it

How long is the knocking for? Does it sound like what they described above? I forget if these engines have hydraulic lifers or not, but that is my first thought. Maybe water got into the oil and caused an issue. Its just really hard to pin point stuff without hearing it first hand. Otherwise I would suspect a bent connecting road with the noise just tracking up into the valve line.

it knocks for about 1 or 2 seconds after that the engine run awsome the only time it knock if the engine sits up for an hour or a litlle over an hour

normal. my 93 has been doing that for over 60k miles.

eh, not normal per say, but common and pretty much harmless.

You're good dude! It's "normal". I don't know anyone who's Mark doesn't do it.

my 96 with 200k is quiet.
and the 67k mile 97 doesn't make a sound.

but the 93, holy ****.

My 94 has 218,000 miles and is very quite, upon start or anytime, no knock, tick or anything. I would say that it's not normal.

its normal. ford even built a whole replacement kit thing and informed the dealers. changed up the tensioner design and several other things over the years to try to fix it. it was very widespread.

Members online

Back