Inexpensive coils for 02 V6

LSGee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was at the shop today getting a quote to put new valve cover gaskets, plugs and coils in my 02 LS V6. He quoted me $75 a piece for Import Direct #23-0186 and $92 a piece for Motorcraft #DG528. So I'm googling the DG528's and I find a link for a Florida craigslist ad for DG528 coils for $60 for the whole set, http://orlando.craigslist.org/ptd/5061042858.html, I contacted him and he said they are from Griffin Auto Parts. Has anyone heard of these? I can't hardly believe they're so inexpensive.

That's what I was thinking. I didn't think at that price reliability would be one of their strong points.

if you have $60 to blow every 3 months...then go for it.

Don't forget the few thousand for new catalytic converters, and $20 or so for new spark plugs.

The least expensive when everything is considered, is likely to be Motorcraft.

Thanks but that part shows figment for a V8, will they work for a V6 as well?

With my V6, I usually buy 3 coils (Duralast from Autozone) for the passenger side of the engine, since you only want to get into that area once every 100K miles. I then move them used coils to the driver's side or into stock for known good spares. You can change the driver's side coils very easily on the V6.

i bought the cheap cops on ebay, never had a problem with them, replaced after 75k miles due to oil leaking in the spark plug wells and melting the rubber boots. I think I paid about $40 for 6 of them.

i bought the cheap cops on ebay, never had a problem with them, replaced after 75k miles due to oil leaking in the spark plug wells and melting the rubber boots. I think I paid about $40 for 6 of them.

Good for you !

Any repairs that cost 1/2 of what the car is worth aint worth it at my place.

Good for you !

Any repairs that cost 1/2 of what the car is worth aint worth it at my place.

Well..... You'll be replacing the cheap parts at least twice as often so do the math. Besides, with the value of these cars almost any major repair will cost more than the value of the car.

^^^ thats why I didn't replace the cats that got destroyed when a $70 set of Ebay specials went to sh!t after about 8k miles (right about one year)

Well the shop wants 450 for 6 coils, plus valve cover and upper plenum gaskets, spark plugs with labor, total........$980!

Well the shop wants 450 for 6 coils, plus valve cover and upper plenum gaskets, spark plugs with labor, total........$980!

If you want cheap maintenance, you'll have to learn to do it yourself, or get a different car.

This is a forum... you got your advice, if you dont like it, dont take it.... But we say what we say for a reason.

In the end its your car, your the one who has to live with it. We cant change the options, or make it any cheaper for you.

GL with it

What the heck is that all about G-RELL? I just asked about griffin coils, not to get it repaired cheaper! When I see a product that cheap knowing what a good coil cost I'm puzzled as to how they can sell them so inexpensively! I'll pay the repair cost because I choose to!

When I see a product that cheap knowing what a good coil cost I'm puzzled as to how they can sell them so inexpensively!

whats to be puzzled about? good coils cost X amount of money, terrible garbage sh!t coils cost a fraction of that...

What the heck is that all about G-RELL? I just asked about griffin coils, not to get it repaired cheaper! When I see a product that cheap knowing what a good coil cost I'm puzzled as to how they can sell them so inexpensively! I'll pay the repair cost because I choose to!
It's like going out to eat, McDonald's is much cheaper than a nice gourmet sit down restaurant, that's because the quality of McDonalds' product is cheaper, and you'll leave less satisfied. If you want to cheap out on parts, you'll just have to replace them more often, which in the end will cost more than if you just bite the bullet and replace with the good correct parts.

Posting about expensive shop costs (that should be expected) doesn't get you any closer to solving...

as posted in response to your ORIGINAL question: your BEST option is to buy motorcraft coils (and new gaskets and plugs) and install yourself.

Yes...you can buy and install cheap-o's... not recommended for THIS TYPE OF CAR.
Yes... you can pay a shop to have it done... if fits your needs and abilities.

There is no other magic answer to this... If you think there might be... search the 100,000 other threads and discussions about this.

trying not to rag on you, but this is very common. role the dice if you like, but it doesn't change our opinion to the fix.
Good Luck (time is ticking though on much more expensive repairs the longer you wait to resolve this) Bad coils

Members online

Back