Good road trip prep

Thorpower1988

LVC Member
Reaction score
:cool: Getting ready for my road trip from Austin TX to Memphis, TN to Pittsburg, PA to Williamsburg, VA back to Memphis, TN then back home to Austin, TX. I have a 2002 fully loaded Lincoln Conti. Rides great and no minor nor major problems with it. I have 126K. Any recommendations on what plugs I should use. And what recommendations should I prep the car for this road trip. It's a 2 week travel time.

The favorite plug for the 4v 4.6 is the NGK 3951 (aka TR55). It's a copper plug so you won't get 100k miles out of it but it's an easy enough job that 50k miles would be plenty.

Just take your time and be gentile removing the old plugs and putting in the new ones. Apparently these heads don't have a lot of material at the plug opening so there are only a few threads holding the plug in. You don't want to strip them! I don't use anti-seize for that reason: its lubrication could make it hard to tell how tightly you have installed the plug and you could strip it without knowing it was near that point.

I always try to have a container of fresh water, a nice towel, working jack, and good spare. I used to carry a lot more (spare belts and hoses, small tool box), but last 10 years or so I stay on interstates and have a cell phone, so I don't feel the need.

I figure if it's more than a flat, I call road service, hydrate as needed, and use the towel as a pillow and get quick nap waiting for assistance.

...before the leaving and about 1/2 way - check tire inflation and inspect for bumps and bruises, check fluid levels (oil, trans, coolant, brake) and it never hurts to run by an auto parts store and have them check the charging system.

Have a fun trip!

Last edited:
Tune-up, tires rotated, oil changed, ( I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and Lucas synthetic Oil stabilizer), cabin air filter changed, new premium brake pads all around. Now all I need is my windows tinted. Texas sun is killing me and my a/c. BTW... i need to become more active on this forum. I'm a member of NATO (North America Thunderbird Organization) I have 3 1988 Turbo coupes....but my fully loaded 2002 Lincoln Continental is special to me as well. I would like to upgrade my exhaust and horsepower. I bought it June 2012 with 75k+ miles. Now I have 125k+ miles and loving it.

You got all the important things covered. All you have to do now is have a fun trip. Be safe out there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back