elephantrider

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
any links for steering wheel removal on a gen 1 ls ? i searched, but never
did find any detailed threads / pics.

thought i'd ask. figured it would be fairly easy, but wasnt sure if you
needed a puller, or if it just unbolts. obviously once you disconnect
the battery, etc...

You will need a gear-type puller. A conventional steering wheel puller won't work.

I don't have any official reference but a puller is the right way to do it (rather than yanking the thing). Even with the battery disconnected, I still kept to the side. SPSulley made a thread for clockspring replacement that included this...
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-Spring-Replacement-(PICS)&highlight=steering

This is a repair that I am in need of as well! Horn nor cuise control works! I was wondering if a salvage yard clockspring would work on this as a expensive part. Just a thought!?

Its a essentially a wear item... I wouldn't waste my time putting in a used one. I saw the term from bigrig about putting on dirty socks and underwear after a shower... I think that would apply here too.

my thoughts are to never use a used part when the part is a common failure or higher than normal fail rate... unless the R&R work is a 5 minute job (this clearly is not.)

You will need a gear-type puller. A conventional steering wheel puller won't work.

Yep. Gear puller, pulley puller, arm puller...

This kind with 2 arms
KINCROME-K8126-2-JAW-3-INCH-75mm-GEAR-BEARING-PULLER-PULLEY-REMOVER-8x8.jpg

KINCROME-K8126-2-JAW-3-INCH-75mm-GEAR-BEARING-PULLER-PULLEY-REMOVER-8x8.jpg

This is a repair that I am in need of as well! Horn nor cuise control works! I was wondering if a salvage yard clockspring would work on this as a expensive part. Just a thought!?

It's not an expensive part........

Its a essentially a wear item... I wouldn't waste my time putting in a used one. I saw the term from bigrig about putting on dirty socks and underwear after a shower... I think that would apply here too.

Couldnt help to laugh at that one lol funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome, thanks for the info. i have a pulley puller just like that so shouldnt be any
big issue.

assuming the replacement wheel will just slide right back on the splines..?

yep.. it as a "key/flat" to lineup for center.. nut will set it back in.

sweet. thanks again. going to try to get the swap done over the wknd.
only thing is i need to swap all the electronics and buttons off of my
wheel to the replacement, so that should be fun :)

Obviously hasn't done all coils and plugs, nor degas bottle yet!

Would the clockspring failing cause the steering wheel to not telescope in and out?

When I first bought the LS. I was seeing that everything worked. I tested the telescope and the wheel came all the way out but it has never, ever, ever, ever wanted to go back in (towards the dash). I used this to my buying advantage of course. But would really like to move it in. I can hear something trying to work when I hold the little adjuster lever either way. The column will adjust up and down. Just not in and out.

I will be doing my clockspring soon as well. Figured I would try to figure out this issue since I will be in this area with things apart already.

Would the clockspring failing cause the steering wheel to not telescope in and out?...

No. It's not involved in that.

If you press, release, press, release, ... a hundred times or so, does the wheel creep back in?

No. It's not involved in that.

If you press, release, press, release, ... a hundred times or so, does the wheel creep back in?

I haven't tried hundreds of times. But when getting in the car last night I tried it again. It does move up and down and will make noise when pulling the lever (away from engine)but will NOT make any noise when pushing the lever away (towards the engine).

I have, however, tried pushing the lever away and pushing on the steering wheel, placing the steering wheel in different up and down positions and trying the lever. I have tried turning the wheel either way and pushing the lever. No sounds or not of it even trying to work.

If you get your head down where the pedals are, you'll see two motors on the steering column. You can use the lever to tell which is which. If you can turn the one that won't move by hand, you'll know it is an electrical problem. If you can't, look for a mechanical issue.

If you get your head down where the pedals are, you'll see two motors on the steering column. You can use the lever to tell which is which. If you can turn the one that won't move by hand, you'll know it is an electrical problem. If you can't, look for a mechanical issue.

Is this what I'm looking for?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, and getting to the shafts coming out of the top of the motor is probably quite difficult.

Geez. Alright. I'll be checking that out when I'm down there then. Thanks for the direction!

Members online

Back