ETC Engine Failsafe Indication

Joe O

LVC Member
Reaction score
Returning home today, I heard a beep and saw a "ETC Engine Failsafe Mode" indicator lit up. As I was on a steep grade, the car just barely made it up the last two hundred feet to our road.

Did not have a check engine light, but did come up with two codes on scanner. P2110 & P2107. They were on my new Harbor Freight scanner which I am trying to learn how to understand its capabilities.

Restarted car & drove around development (on level roadway) and car behaved normally.

NEED ADVICE!!

Thanks!

well that's a new one, don't think I've seen that one yet...

so let me use my magic guessing machine since you didn't say, I'm guessing newer than 03 and less cylinders than a V8?

Conrak says it's the #4 coil misfiring.

Search "ETC fail safe" and your answer will magically appear.

Conrak says it's the #4 coil misfiring.

Search "ETC fail safe" and your answer will magically appear.

I say get a better scanner first. Anything that uses 5 volts Reference from the ECM on the same line will interfere with the Throttle Body.

I heard a beep and saw a "ETC Engine Failsafe Mode" indicator lit up.

It Is A 2005 V8

V8 cars have a message center that displays important information in the lower right of the cluster, the V6 does not have this and instead has some indicator lights in the same location for important problems that would normally show up on the message center.

on a V6, the indicator is a wrench, on the V8 it just tells you in the message center what the problem is with no indicator.

Why do you think it is coil #4? It was replaced Dec 2013 and has about 16K miles on it

Because its the Lincoln LS Forum. And the message ain't nothing new.

Why do you think it is coil #4? It was replaced Dec 2013 and has about 16K miles on it

when it was replaced, was it replaced with a new OEM motorcraft coil?

was the spark plug as replaced at the same time?

if so, did you gap the spark plug or just throw it in assuming all was good?

was only the #4 coil replaced?

please do yourself a favor... instead of still trying to figure it out a day later, spend an hour and do a little searching as recommended and you will see a few hundred other threads that started just like this one. they all have the same outcome for a reason. the coils in the LS are prone to taking a sh!t, when said sh!t is taken, they have a side effect of emitting RF interference, this interference then is mistakenly identified as a problem with the throttle body. the #4 coil is in the closest position for the interference to be picked up (however #3 also has a high probability, and i would bet if the interference is strong enough any coil could do it...)

99% of the time when a coil fails it barely fails,meaning most of the time, its working fine. but ever once in a while it will miss fire, this is know as a marginal coil. also 99% of the time the cars computer wont detect the misfire and throw a code for it.

the bottom line is you must replace all of your coils (as once one starts to fail, more are on their way out. also it cost less to replace them all then it does to test them to find out which one is bad) and plugs. more than likely this will completely cure the problem, but in the slight case that you have further problem, you need to be 100% sure that they are not contributing to the issue. also when you buy cheap ass coils, they usually fail much faster and that if they all show up being good.

Members online

Back